AMD: R9xx Speculation

Hey Dave at least drop us a hint of where 6870 will stand....so far we heard it will be 30-50% faster than 5870....which is fast... i hate waiting in the dark..and not able to plan ahead...better yet allow perf nda lapse on 22nd...do a part for the community AMD...stop making HD6000 into a dollar$ and cent$ thing....

Hey Dave at least drop us a hint of where 6870 will stand....so far we heard it will be 30-50% faster than 5870....which is fast... i hate waiting in the dark..and not able to plan ahead...better yet allow perf nda lapse on 22nd...do a part for the community AMD...stop making HD6000 into a dollar$ and cent$ thing....

Confidential information will NOT be spoken by Dave........

Not really, I would say 22nm with new architecture.....

At 28nm it would be more like $280 - $300 US dollars!

28nm will be a rather BIG step forward compared to 40nm in perf/mm² and perf/W characteristics, e.g.:

GLOBALFOUNDRIES' HKMG enables full scaling from 40nm in area and performance; i.e., 28nm delivers twice the gate density of industry standard 40nm processes and an SRAM cell size shrink of more than 50 percent (cell size of 0.120 square micrometers for dense single port). 28nm transistors offer up to 40% higher performance than 40nm at comparable leakage with up to 50% lower energy per switch and 50% lower static power.
Those are numbers meant for marketing purposes, of course - but I'm pretty sure we'll see some <220mm² chips performing close to or above GF110 level @28nm.

Now bear in mind that Nvidia / their partners currently sell cards with ~370mm² chips for $199 ... :rolleyes:

28nm will be a rather BIG step forward compared to 40nm in perf/mm² and perf/W characteristics, e.g.:

Those are numbers meant for marketing purposes, of course - but I'm pretty sure we'll see some <220mm² chips performing close to or above GF110 level @28nm.

Now bear in mind that Nvidia / their partners currently sell cards with ~370mm² chips for $199 ... :rolleyes:

And what's your scaling for the mem bandwidth?

I'm sure he can easily do that :p

Now bear in mind that Nvidia / their partners currently sell cards with ~370mm² chips for $199 ...
... while retaining a very high gross margin. :oops:
GAAP gross margin was 46.5 percent compared with 16.6 percent in the previous quarter and 43.4 percent in the same period a year earlier.

ASUS DirectCU TOP GeForce GTX 460 (~370mm²) : $129.99 + Free Shipping + Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X 2 (value: $49.99) :runaway:

How can they do that ?! :oops:

Maybe Quadro/Tesla is thriving. They probably have 200% margin on average, so even 1/10th the sales will have a large impact. The 480 is probably quite high margin also.

How can they do that ?! :oops:
Asus has the card is sold at a loss and the value of the voucher is greatly exaggerated. NV doesn't feel anything since they already sold the GPU long time before that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Dave at least drop us a hint of where 6870 will stand....so far we heard it will be 30-50% faster than 5870....

The 6850/6870 have already been released. Read the existing reviews to see where it stands.

Why is the availability of R6870 so low at newegg in comparison with GTX 460? I think that is the end of AMD's domination and slowly but surely they are losing ground, respectively market share. :(

Why is the availability of R6870 so low at newegg in comparison with GTX 460? I think that is the end of AMD's domination and slowly but surely they are losing ground, respectively market share. :(

Are saying there is a difference between "available" and "available in more flavors" or something?
I can buy either.

Yes, there appears to be more of a "glut" of 460s, but that actually doesn't bode well for the 460 IMHO.

At newegg there are only 4 different R6870s, from 240 USD to 299 USD, made by three AMD's partners. On the other hand, the GTX 460s are 2 full pages of available models from different partners.
So, I don't know what you are trying to prove.

That the HD6870 are selling much better than GTX460, perhaps demand exceeds supply? :rolleyes:

And/Or the rumours of tight supply for those TI chips are true? :rolleyes:

At newegg there are only 4 different R6870s, from 240 USD to 299 USD, made by three AMD's partners. On the other hand, the GTX 460s are 2 full pages of available models from different partners.
So, I don't know what you are trying to prove.

He's trying to prove that excessive availability is no more useful than adequate availability. If you can buy one, there is no shortage. Doesn't really make a difference how many different companies are selling one when the product is almost exactly the same anyway.

Back