AMD: R9xx Speculation

Discussion in 'Architecture and Products' started by Lukfi, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Karoshi

Newcomer

Would anyone with half a clue more than I have care to comment on power distribution wrt. cypress? TIA

2. Triskaine

Newcomer

Charlie's original rumour that [STRIKE]Southern[/STRIKE]Northern Islands would have a Northern Islands Frontend mated to an Evergreen shadercore seems to be the true one afterall. :lol:

3. PSU-failure

Newcomer

What about a possible split + distributed T lane over the remaining units?

It uses the typical "slot power only" arrangement, the small tab in the slot being power.

It's strange for a board with 2 additional power headers, but it's probably not stupid. It could lead to better grounding of some areas/components of the board for example.

4. Jawed

Legend

RPE is a convincing sounding name, but the only time we've seen it is on the slide where Barts is shown clearly with Caicos and Cayman blurred.

That slide has 320(x4) for Barts. The reported GPUBench results (for Barts Pro) indicate Barts XT is likely to be 192(x5)=960 (or 192(x4)=768?). Obviously that's just another semi-random posting. The person who posted it, posts as Kepler on ChipHell. I've seen him post before on there, but I can't find what he posted before. But I have a vague memory of it being credible.

I estimate Barts is 13.7x17.3=237mm². 50% larger than that would make Cayman 356mm².

5. Alexko

Veteran Subscriber

It looks that way. I guess Charlie got all the facts, just all shuffled around… :D

That's probably good news, though, since it means we're in for a treat with Southern Islands: 28nm and 4-way shaders at the same time: sounds like a pretty nice cumulative performance/mm² improvement!

6. Bouncing Zabaglione Bros.

Legend

Where did I say that? I specifically said I didn't think they would abandon the sweet-spot and follow Nvidia's lead of a massive, power hungry chip that generates heat and noise and is difficult and expensive to make.

I was referring specifically to the "Cayman is going to be AMDs biggest chip EVAR! and will chuck out as much heat as GF100" from Fudo. I don't believe that AMD will go back down that road of giant monolithic chips that are difficult to make, have poor yields and need to have huge prices.

The top end with Antilles is going to be a dual chip that has the advantages of smaller/easier/cheaper manufacture, so even at the high end I don't think that AMD will abandon the sweet spot strategy.

7. Jawed

Legend

I'm dubious that math is a meaningful bottleneck. Additionally, NVidia's approach to bottlenecks shows that in some games (e.g. Far Cry 2) math is seemingly irrelevant.

The patent documents relating to texturing architecture that I keep mentioning appear to be much more likely to provide a benefit.

Additionally the suckage that is the setup-rasteriser architecture of Cypress might be hampering math/texturing in games too.

8. AnarchX

Veteran

Texture architecture seems really a point where was/is potential:

If scaling is linear from Juniper (40 TMUs @ 850MHz) to speculated Barts XT (48 TMUs @ 900MHz), 21 GTex/s could be reached. A bit above HD 5850.

#3148 AnarchX, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2010
  9. Jawed

Legend

The reported tests don't seem to provide any insight on XYZT versus XYZWT, so I can't see how they could provide any insight on other combinations of lanes to achieve trascendentals - so I'm not even going there (there was a discussion of these possible alternative setups back in April I think it was).

10. Gipsel

Veteran

But if Barts is really only a 12 SIMD chip with the traditional Evergreen layout, it has not 64 TMUs but Barts XT has just 48 and Barts Pro only 40, same number as Juniper XT. I guess that is only going to work, if the TMUs itself are somewhat changed as patents mentioned by Jawed suggest. It would be nice to see a higher L1 cache bandwidth as it would enable to sustain a higher trilinear and aniso filtering speed (and quality btw.) compared to bilinear filtering like observed with GF100/104.

11. AnarchX

Veteran

Yes, 48 TMUs seem very likely.
    If Northern Islands TMUs reach the same realtime-to-peak-ratio like GF100, Barts XT(48TMUs@900MHz) could reach 26,1GTex/s and even beat HD 5870 in this test.

12. Jawed

Legend

One of the patent documents talks about the way fixed-precision hardware is used to perform filtering, with the operands having their exponents aligned by brute-force, throwing away precision. I don't know much about filtering math, but I wonder if this approach on existing hardware is capable of causing the filtering problems we see, even when dealing with 8-bit texels.

In effect I'm wondering if it's possible that after a few iterations for higher-degrees of anisotropic filtering, the precision loss could be quite severe.

13. LordEC911

Regular

Well we already knew that Barts was on a 5850 PCB, diff components, I heard and posted that a long time ago, shortly after the "pin to pin compatiability" rumor.

Edit- Guess it wasn't that long ago, posted it here at the beginning of Sept, though I thought I had heard it back in August.

I thought so too by just eyeing it.

Oh, didn't see that. imageshack pics don't show up at work unfortunately. Well at least I tagged it for later, thanks.
    The only one I had seen was a few days ago but that was just the back of the PCB, not neccessarily accurate.

14. Kaotik

Kaotik Drunk Member
    Legend

It's not 5850 PCB, it's just same sized, other than size the PCB layouts are completely different

15. wishiknew

Regular

I like the better placement of the power connectors.

16. AnarchX

Veteran

Could it be possible that only Cayman has 4D VLIW ALUs?

I am thinking about SIMDs with 128SPs (32 4D-ALUs), which allows the wavefront of 64 like in today GPUs and in a 5D ALU Barts.
    These SIMDs are combined with enhanced TMUs (maybe one quad-TMU or two like in Jaweds patents) which reach the performance of GF100 TMUs and may offer FP16 fullspeed.
    So 15 of these SIMD would give us 1920SPs and 60 TMUs.

This would put Cayman @ 900MHz 28% over the GTX 480 in 16xAF texturing and offer HPC crunching power of 3.4 TFLOPs.

#3156 AnarchX, Oct 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2010
  17. hoom

Veteran

What I got out of this article by Anand is that there is a good chance that this generation may include something really big even though the Sweetspot strategy had been being successful.

18. trinibwoy

trinibwoy Meh
    Legend

There's absolutely no reason for AMD to shy away from big chips given their current perf/w. People talk about "sweet-spot" as if it's some ideal. They did what they did with 3870 out of necessity. With RV770 they didnt have the power headroom. Now they do.

19. Man from Atlantis

Regular

Barts has more than 960 shaders and it's certain

20. keritto

Newcomer

Would Barts be 20SIMD-pack, or just in good old R600 legacy manner 16SIMD-pack after all? 800 of 960 shaders will make much larger impact, and this chip should be tiny <230mm2 so why disable "half of the chip" when you can make 960/880 or similar ratio without too much fuss?! RV770 had similar size, give or take few mm2, and the most of them were born as fully functional dies