AMD: R9xx Speculation

You can't even imagine what percentage of all customers do not know what they are buying. This can cause even bigger disappiontment after purchase. :(

not to turn this political but that's a very marxist thing to say. also i would like some putative research on how many people buy graphics cards based on the name because this needs to be backed up. personally i dont pity people for being ignorant such as buying something based on a name. humans tend to judge by appearances too often and for some reason they never learn to use a better method.

humans tend to judge by appearances too often and for some reason they never learn to use a better method.

Spending the time and effort to derive an unknown benefit sometimes isn't worth it. Hence, brand loyalty was born. Don't underestimate the value of past satisfaction.

Cayman is suitable for better, more dangerous, higher performance part. I cann't see why they would call that mainstream kind of productie Cayman. It doesn't make any sense.

Internal use only, its not like they are marketing the products under those names.

This lack of information. Ok, I understand they don't want a negative impact on the 5000 series sales. But... that also means there is no negative impact on Nvidia sales... Right?

This lack of information. Ok, I understand they don't want a negative impact on the 5000 series sales. But... that also means there is no negative impact on Nvidia sales... Right?

Doesn't matter if AMD's current products are already having a negative impact on Nvidia sales. You don't want to canibalise your current products when you don't have to.

Dude... a NUMBER does not make a PRODUCT.

So why don't AMD just call Cayman HD 6100, and whatever for HTPC 6990?
It's just a NUMBER, right?

The whole numbering system is to make judging performance by the name EASIER. ie, 6870 is (much, not NO, not marginally) better than 5870.

I would be fine with BartsXT being called 6870, if it is at least 10% faster than 5870. -- I can't rule out the possibility yet.

So why don't AMD just call Cayman HD 6100, and whatever for HTPC 6990?
It's just a NUMBER, right?

The whole numbering system is to make judging performance by the name EASIER. ie, 6870 is (much, not NO, not marginally) better than 5870.
But maybeq AMD pr&marketing sees this as a way to fool customers and get "free money".
Is AMD so desperate?

But maybeq AMD pr&marketing sees this as a way to fool customers and get "free money".
Is AMD so desperate?

Without pricing its a nonsense. They can make 6800 the same speed or slower than 5800 and sell it for example with a 30% lower price. Its the same as it would be faster and cost same.
There are significatly more people upgrading from slower cards than from 5850 or 5870.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/amd-radeon-hd-6000-series-in-trouble-/9999.html

It might be Cayman is 6800 series GPU, and after all non-sense discussion here about Barts being 6800 series.....
... or the reson for 67** cards launching a bit later is actually rather similar to the reason why 4770 launched a few months after 48**? :rolleyes:

Don't read "news" stuff like that vr-zone crap as if it was made of pure facts. Golden rule of rumor-deciphering: In most cases, someone in the know leaked one very specific detail -and someone not in the know picked up on it and wraped a whole (mainly fictional) "story" around it so it became "readable".

They probably just heard: "HD67** will come a bit later, not ready yet" - and all the rest of the babble is just made up.

====================

there's more things that separate the 6850 and 6870 than just clocks etc.
:!:

Funny thing is, he actually didn't write "people who still think Barts is 67**" - but "people who still think Barts is 6750/6770" ... he even doubled the 6750 at first. Sigmund Freud would have found such a typo very interesting.

That's what I've noticed as well :smile:.

Regardless, we need more leaks please! :devilish:

20101006070707_132614rz0re77ar55555u0.jpg

I suppose, that the "X" is used here just like a replacement of some number, but what if really AMD calls the dual-GPU cards Radeon HD 6X50 and 6X70?

e.g...
Barts: 6850 / 6870
Cayman: 6950 / 6970
Antilles: 6X50 / 6X70

X means 10 (that's more than 9) and it would also show, that the model is CrossFire based. It wouldn't be the first time they used X instead of 10...

I suppose, that the "X" is used here just like a replacement of some number, but what if really AMD calls the dual-GPU cards Radeon HD 6X50 and 6X70?

e.g...
Barts: 6850 / 6870
Cayman: 6950 / 6970
Antilles: 6X50 / 6X70

X means 10 (that's more than 9) and it would also show, that the model is CrossFire based. It wouldn't be the first time they used X instead of 10...
Makes sense, but this name is harder to pronounce, therefore I doubt it. IMHO Antilles will still be 69xx series, or for argument sake, keep Antilles altogether, I like this name :smile:

Back