AMD needs money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
nvidia: $25ish, within 2 or 3 weeks. (could be better, if they release good vista drivers, have some finality on their stock fixing problems, and have a good answer to r600)
ati: $11ish within 2 months. (only thing that will prevent this is having a great r600 family launch with mass availability)
intc:should hit sub$18 within a month.

epic

You massively overestimate how much analysts and investors follow the day-to-day market and rumours, imo. Barcelona is what investors care about for AMD, not R600. As for NVIDIA, while I agree $25 isn't impossible, I fail to see how vista drivers might affect that. At all.

You massively overestimate how much analysts and investors follow the day-to-day market and rumours, imo.
Its more of a can they break a bad trend or not. A bad launch will just add to the pile kinda thing.
Barcelona is what investors care about for AMD, not R600.
If memory serves me right, barcelona is still more than 2 months away from launch.
As for NVIDIA, while I agree $25 isn't impossible, I fail to see how vista drivers might affect that. At all.
Its tied to the lawsuit, the longer it takes for that to be settled, the stronger the case against them. Its not going to be a major impact on their stock price, but it will just add to the snowball.

epic

Unfortunately for NVIDIA, Wall Street still vividly remembers the whole NV30 debauchery. Prior to NV30, NVDA was a rockstar stock...I believe it was even the top performing stock one year....When NV30's delays and issues hit, a TON of hedge funds and major investors lost their shirts....Since then, the market has been overly cautious and critical of any news regarding NVDA that wasn't clearly a positive...

Luckily for NVDA, the AMD/ATI combo hasn't been entirely smooth with R600 still MIA and no movement on the notebook front...However, one mistake on NVDA's part and the stock will get punished beyond belief. The NV30 wounds are that deep....

Unfortunately for NVIDIA, Wall Street still vividly remembers the whole NV30 debauchery.

:oops:

Damn that filthy NV30! Perhaps you meant debacle? ;)

If the rest of what you say is true it's kind of satisfying in a way because NVIDIA's actions during that era left a slightly nasty taste in the mouth.

Since the recovery with NV40 they've been pretty much on top of things though so I'd imagine prior misdemeanours will be forgotten if ATI don't come up with a better product range for the R600 series than NVIDIA's G80s. If NVIDIA manage three generations of products outperforming the competition (financially at least) this ought to be a very positive indicator for the analysts.

Unfortunately for NVIDIA, Wall Street still vividly remembers the whole NV30 debauchery. Prior to NV30, NVDA was a rockstar stock...I believe it was even the top performing stock one year....When NV30's delays and issues hit, a TON of hedge funds and major investors lost their shirts....Since then, the market has been overly cautious and critical of any news regarding NVDA that wasn't clearly a positive...

Luckily for NVDA, the AMD/ATI combo hasn't been entirely smooth with R600 still MIA and no movement on the notebook front...However, one mistake on NVDA's part and the stock will get punished beyond belief. The NV30 wounds are that deep....

I'd say that's accurate, but does not represent the complete picture. When NVDA first went public in 1999 - during a time of technology stock frenzy - it was extremely cheap on a p/e basis. And this was a company that was profitable and showing very rapid growth. The reason for this was that Wall Street was scarred by flameouts from 3Dfx, S3, NeoMagic, ect... Article after article in the business press hammered home the idea that 3D graphics was an ultra-comptetive industry that would never really allow for decent profits.

A year later it got the Xbox contract and was still experiencing explosive growth so people got excited and the stock really flew. I might note that compared to other high-flying semiconductor stocks - Broadcom, Xlinix, ect... NVDA's p/e was relatively low. It was a top performing stock, but it rose to ridiculously cheap levels.

Just prior to the NV30 debacle and inventory buildup and sales crash, a lot more analysts started following the stock, most of whom had a positive rating on the stock. So when the shit hit the fan, after only covering the company for a short period of time, it probably seemed like the emperor was wearing no clothes, particluarly given the widely held belief that the 3D graphics space was too competitive.

there were already a lot of shorts because of this belief, but it became a free for all. analysts were actively recommending shorting the company at split adjusted prices of $5. But hedge funds only care about tomorrow and in the short term there are plenty of self-fufilling prophecies on wall street.

meanwhile, nvda came back stronger than ever, and with the exception of few, analysts continued to be bearish as the company absolutely blew away all expectations. even today the p/e remains relatively low. yahoo finance shows a consensus estimate of $1.72 for this year. thats a p/e below 17, and nvda could easily beat those estimates.

so true, they could come down hard if nvda missteps, how much lower is there to go. it would have to be a pretty big misstep, and considering that their execution and roadmaps look pretty good. i mean, take the igp space for instance, how far ahead are they of intel and amd when it comes to integration?

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6524

I do not think AMD is exactly crying out for money.;)

The latest numbers for the semiconductor industry are in for 2006 and AMD was a company on the move according to the latest figures from iSuppli. AMD witnessed a sharp increase in revenue thanks to its acquisition of ATI Technologies and its booming chips sales.

AMD's revenue for 2006 was $7.5 billion USD compared to $3.9 billion USD for the previous year. Total revenue for the top 25 players in the semiconductor industry was up 9.3% in 2006 to $260 billion USD.

"For AMD, 2006 was the best of times as it achieved a whopping 91.6 per cent increase in revenue for the year, partly due to a major acquisition, but also because of strong gains in microprocessor market share," said iSuppli VP Dale Ford

What about profit? Margins? Debt? Revenue in of itself is just a tiny portion of the financial picture, esp. when partially fueled by an acquisition.

Advanced Micro Devices Weighs Financing Options >AMD
Wednesday 03/21/2007 5:57 PM ET - Dow Jones News
By Matt Andrejczak
It's looking more likely that Advanced Micro Devices Inc. (AMD), locked in a fierce battle for market share with larger chip rival Intel Corp. (INTC), will seek to raise additional financing to fund its capital expenditure plans this year.
AMD may be planning to raise money through a $1 billion convertible bond offering in the second quarter, an analyst suggested Wednesday, building speculation that the company won't cut its capital expenditure plans.

Looks like they really _do_ need money, as per the thread title.

I would much rather them take a loan than cut capex - not building and upgrading fabs, etc, has a much bigger effect long term :(

Disclaimer: I own stock.

Trump buys AMD

' that's why I'm happy to be able to announce here that the latest addition to the Trump corporate family will be that fine industry-leading company Advanced Micro Devices'

Trump buys AMD

' that's why I'm happy to be able to announce here that the latest addition to the Trump corporate family will be that fine industry-leading company Advanced Micro Devices'

Technology April Fool's jokes are so transparent, especially over a weekend ;)

You know, if the stock price continues to drop at the current rate, in a couple of weeks "The New AMD" might be worth less than the $5.6 Billion magic number.

AMD is being murdered by bad news right now.

Instead of buying ATI, what they needed was to create the most awesome multi-core processor possible right now. In my mind, that would be some sort of x86-ized Cell processor. Other versions, like what Sun is doing with Niagara and Rock is also possible. That's the future of computing, not a CPU+GPU which could only be useful for low-end PCs or laptops that can't afford discrete GPUs.

They were going to have a rough spot right now whether they bought ATI or not. If anything, they waited a little too long as their share price had passed its peak. But then the evidence is the discussions started December 2005, and it took about 6 months to get to closure.

The interesting question is if they were determined on this course, which I think it is clear they were (come on now, everyone who thinks Hector woke up one morning, looked in the mirror while shaving, and thought to himself, 'Hmm, today seems like a good day to spend $5.4B on something I don't really need. . . wonder where I can find something like that? Think I'll ask Dirk if he knows of somewhere', please raise your hand), then were there other options that could have worked out? Maybe a VIA, a SiS, or even both?

I wonder if buying VIA (an x86 licensee) would have had implications for AMD's antitrust against Intel.

I'm not sure what would have made SiS a non-starter.

Perhaps AMD wanted to get as high a player as was possible, and ATI fit the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back