AMD needs money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IIRC, GF6800GTX < X800XT PE, but GF6800GT > X800XT. Problem was that the PE was nowhere to be found for months, so for all practical purposes GF6800GTX was the sole performance leader for most of the generation. Also, the 6800GT was only a clockspeed downgrade, and it went against the X800XT which had reduced pipes. That means the big mover of the product lines went resoundingly towards the GF6 line. Plus the NV40 had SLI and SM3.0, something the R420 line didn't have.

That is the impression I have of that era too, and why I got a 6800GT back then.

This was a very surprising recovery from Nvidia. I find hard to believe that a company can simply pull a rabbit of its hat when asked. ATI probably does not a have a miracle product waiting in the wings to save them in 2008.

Yup, they took me by surpise too, but then agin, back then they also employed the same false PR to mislead people into thinking that the 6800 where "less" than what they showed to be, just like with the unified pipeline in the G80...

They have been real sneakey at doing stuff like that...

X800XTPE > 6800Ultra > X800XT > 6800GT > X800Pro ;)

Which doesn't even get to 6600GT vs X600.

This was a very surprising recovery from Nvidia. I find hard to believe that a company can simply pull a rabbit of its hat when asked. ATI probably does not a have a miracle product waiting in the wings to save them in 2008.

Yes, it does seem that many in the community imbue NVIDIA with miraculous powers that no one else has. :LOL: So you've already made 2008 a disaster for AMD as well? Not to worry, Intel the Destroyer is coming to devour us all. :runaway:

One thing about the 6000 series and its success was that it was very efficient on a per-clock basis, and the mainstream products from both companies were on equivalent processes, so it seemed obvious to me that NVIDIA would have an advantage. The advantage was even more pronounced because of NVIDIA's proficiency with the .11 micron process. Power its a much bigger concern in the mainstream. That lead widened during the 7000 series, and with good timing the proof is in the pudding of NVIDIA's laptop share. Rumors are that the initial mainstream products from NVIDIA are going to be 80nm, while AMD's will be on 65 nm. Given the clock domaining of 8800 and NVIDIA's general engineering prowess, coupled with the mysterious R600 problems, I am willing to bet NVIDIA mainstream 8000 series will prove more efficient even on a larger process node.

Yes, it does seem that many in the community imbue NVIDIA with miraculous powers that no one else has. :LOL: So you've already made 2008 a disaster for AMD as well? Not to worry, Intel the Destroyer is coming to devour us all. :runaway:

Well, the word "miraculous" is probably too strong. nVidia has a habit of hiding their best products and release them at unexpected times. They're kinda like Intel, who always have backup CPU designs waiting in the wings in case the primary one flops. Likewise, nVidia plans ahead very well and always make sure that bad GPU lines can be cycled out quickly. With NV30 it was the NV40, and when the NV50 was delayed, they had the G70 ready. ATI has never show such an ability.

Well I was correcting nonamer. ;) The full list would be

X800XTPE > 6800Ultra > X800XT > 6800GT > X800Pro > X800 = 6800 > 6600 GT > X600 > 6200 = X300

But I do agree that if there is a part that screams bang for buck (9500P, 6800GT, 7900GT) that its a sure shot success regardless of how the flagship performs.

They're kinda like Intel, who always have backup CPU designs waiting in the wings in case the primary one flops.

Yep when Prescott turned out to be an under-performing space heater they rushed out the Core microarchitecture to pick up the slack in a speedy 30 months.

Reactions: Geo
Sure.
Intel launched in June/July 2003, while Nvidia had Nforce 4 SLI/Ultra out in November 2004, nearly 18 months later...

As for DDR2 not being a standard, well, then the IEEE must be wrong for a long time, now wouldn't it ?
http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/ddr2-rmma/ddr2-rmma.html

what about the K8T890, your forgetting that one, it was out in March 04, and before that there was no reason to go PCIe, what where you going to do on Nvidia get a PCX 5950 to replace your AGP 5950 or ATI replace your 9800 with an x500 I dont think so, it wasnt untill NV40, R420 that PCIe was even worth the mention. As for DDR to DDR2 AMD didnt need DDR2 back in 03, Intel did, and DDR2 was more expensive then also.

what about the K8T890, your forgetting that one, it was out in March 04, and before that there was no reason to go PCIe, what where you going to do on Nvidia get a PCX 5950 to replace your AGP 5950 or ATI replace your 9800 with an x500 I dont think so, it wasnt untill NV40, R420 that PCIe was even worth the mention. As for DDR to DDR2 AMD didnt need DDR2 back in 03, Intel did, and DDR2 was more expensive then also.

K8T890 was woefully delayed.
I think you mean K8T800...

No matter, they maintained two state-of-the-art CPU lines simultaneously. Not many companies can do that.

Don't forget Itanium.

the K8T890 beat Nforce 4 to market giving AMD PCIe about the same time PCIe 6800 hit the shelve along with the PCIe x850XT

I'm sorry, but that is just not true.

The jump to PCI Express has been a tough one for VIA. Its K8T890 chipset, the PCIe follow-up to the successful K8T800 series, was delayed and only now has a handful of manufacturers supporting it. On the Intel side, things are a bit bleaker. The PT890 series are solid chipsets, but it had less support than the K8T890. There are two main reasons for this. First off, VIA was late to the PCIe party and Intel and Nvidia have grabbed a large share of the marketplace. The second has been the inability to deliver the next generation VT 8251 southbridge. Currently all VIA chipsets use the VT8237R, which has been around for about two years. It lacks many of the features that other current chipsets have, and recently was found to have issues with SATA 3 Gb/sec hard drives.

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1845925,00.asp

This article is from August 2005...

Like i said, you are confusing the AGP-supporting K8T800 with the later K8T890, that supported PCI-Express.

Ok, volume for AMD is off the chart, and the stock price has had a very nice pop to it (5+%). Im starting to put some credence to the rumors that someone is thinking of buying out AMD.

epic

Ok, volume for AMD is off the chart, and the stock price has had a very nice pop to it (5+%). Im starting to put some credence to the rumors that someone is thinking of buying out AMD.

epic

Or some investors heard a buyout rumor and started buying shares. Then, other investors saw that someone was buying and started buying shares because they thought someone buying shares lent credence to the buyout rumor. Then all the additional buying would then lend further credence to the buyout rumor...

from my etrade account:
11:51 am Advanced Micro Devices Up 6% On Rumors Of Pvt Equity Interest Dow Jones Newswires

@3dilettante: There is a great likelihood that you are correct, but this volume and the streak of bad press AMD has received, should be forcing the stock price down and not up. Thats why I think that there might be something going on. Im not complaining either way i just made some serious cash from 2 days of investing. :cool:

epic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back