AMD Mantle API [updating]

So in a way AMD said OpenGL will be a Mantle-like API :).
Thoughts?
No, it's actually quite different. It doesn't try to solve the draw call cost issue, it tries to sidestep that issue completely (by making it easier for you to render huge amount of stuff with a single draw call).

No, it's actually quite different. It doesn't try to solve the draw call cost issue, it tries to sidestep that issue completely (by making it easier for you to render huge amount of stuff with a single draw call).
Right, it sort of depends how you define "draw call". They are trying to get the same result as doing many simple/conventional calls by instead doing some small number of complex API "calls". The difference is somewhat arbitrary once you go down to the driver/hardware level, but at the API level it's certainly not the same style as something like Mantle.

FWIW there's an entire thread about this already here: http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=64685

Look at the domain name.

No, it's the real thing. On March 20, Microsoft kicks everybody back into his/her cage again (in dutch: trapt iedereen terug in z'n hok). ... DX12 ... the empire strikes back

PS: funny to see Qualcomm there as well, but not a surprise given that they supply 100% of SoCs going into Windows Phone.

Well, promotion will be there.:) DX12 itself wont be released in a loooong time.

More relevant: will it be Windows 9 exclusive? Because that's one of the strongest parts of Mantle right now - not tied to Microsoft's OS policies.

Well, promotion will be there.:) DX12 itself wont be released in a loooong time.

Citation required - not tongue in cheek, just curious where the DX release schedule has been publicly detailed, as that would be a very interesting read.

More relevant: will it be Windows 9 exclusive? Because that's one of the strongest parts of Mantle right now - not tied to Microsoft's OS policies.

But it has its own downside, tied to AMD hardware.

yeah, it is always good to see optimistic wishful thinking but I am afraid it is not gonna happen...

DX12 if it truly is similar to Mantle in it's reduction of API overhead could be the most interesting thing to happen to PC gaming since G80 IMO. Why do you think otherwise?

oh, and btw, the thread is about Mantle not DX12 :LOL:

True, but Mantle does seem to be the reason why DX12 exists so it's not unreasonable that the discussion might turn in that direction. I agree though that we probably need a DX12 thread at this point.

Now if only SteamOS can encourage microsoft to do the same with Windows 9 (i.e. make it into a half decent gaming OS) then I'll be very happy.

Ant this point, you can't compare Mantle to a full fledged DirectX release. No body would choose Mantle over DX, even DICE stated they only supported Mantle because of the stuff they wanted. When DX provides that, every body will take that solution over anything else.

Back