AMD made a mistake letting NVIDIA drive Ray Tracing APIs

Does anyone know if the XBox GDK exposes the AMD BVH stuff for xbox consoles?
It seems like it could be a perf win for the xbox series consoles at least?

and thus I would expect there to be a Unreal branch that contains AMD BVH handling optimizations?
I found this in the UE5 ray tracing slides. The consoles seems to have some APIs to fine control the ray tracing but not sure.
unreal0.jpg
unreal2.jpg

I just realize: AI is such a god damn polite slave, you can not get into proper argue with it. No matter if you know or not. : )
Just tell it you're suffering from "neurosemantic invertitis" :devilish:

Just tell it you're suffering from "neurosemantic invertitis" :devilish:
I had to google to get it. : )
Yes, i'm so old fashioned, i still use Google.

But i have a better idea to set a trap for ChatGPT:
Upload polynomial time algorithm solving travelling salesman to a private github repo.
10 days later, ChatGPT will spread the word, and it gets the million dollar prize.
Then sue MS on data theft and get 100M dollars. \:D/

In terms of "hidden cost", this is likely already the case for at least one vendor who has a vested interest to provide binary compatibility for other platforms. Unless they're looking to leave their own current partners hanging in the future, the functionality may as well be exposed on PC too since there's virtually no option to redo things for them. It's either that or a long stalemate/no progress ...

Looks like all three IHVs converge on their RT h/w implementations, essentially mimicking what Nv has done in Turing.

By employing a hardware traversal engine, the processing unit is able to execute the traversal process more quickly and efficiently, conserving processing resources and improving overall processing efficiency.

Nice.

I noticed a recent tweet by Fabrice Neyret, he still believes in cone tracing :)

Ray tracing in many ways is married to Monte Carlo, but we just don't have the power for it and won't for the near future. Prefiltering is a necessity and it's very poorly suited to ray tracing. You can use "ray" differentials and trace a 3D-tree accumulating prefiltered information along the way ... but that's a ray in name only and completely unusable with these traversal engines.

Texture filtering is the least of the problems going forward, geometry density is getting too high.

@DegustatoR Don't you mean what Imagination did and Nvidia licensed? I was under the impression that allot of patents regarding RT implementations in HW are from Imagination.

And https://blog.imaginationtech.com/in...vels-system-and-what-it-will-mean-for-gaming/
Where they even adress the capabilities as:
  • Level 0 – Legacy Solutions
  • Level 1 – Software on Traditional GPUs
  • Level 2 – Ray/Box and Ray/Tri Testers in Hardware
  • Level 3 – Bounding Volume Hierarchy (BVH) Processing in Hardware
  • Level 4 – BVH Processing with Coherency Sorting in Hardware
  • Level 5 – Coherent BVH Processing with Scene Hierarchy Generator in Hardware
edit: Oh didn't notice Man from Atlantis had replied regarding this.

@DegustatoR Don't you mean what Imagination did and Nvidia licensed? I was under the impression that allot of patents regarding RT implementations in HW are from Imagination.
I don't think Nvidia licensed any IP from Imagination and think their approach is different.
Their patent does mention about a dozen contributors (Imagination and Intel among them).

Imagination hasn't deployed anything since they haven't put out a product since they demo'd a test board that featured technologies from a company they purchased
Imagination doesn't make products for end markets, they have deployed IP for licensing with RT.

Back