AMD Execution Thread [2024]

The fact that they aren't patching/mitigating Ryzen 1000, 2000, or 3000 series is pretty insane considering they're spending the time and effort to patch every generation of Epyc going back to Zen1, which use the same dies, and are also affected. There are an awful lot of Ryzen 3000 chips still out in the wild in active use.

Good news, AMD changed their minds, and are now targeting Ryzen 3000 (Zen3, Matisse) to be mitigated a bit after the newer SKUs.

1723846854510.png

You’re bypassing UAC and security overhead by going admin account/elevated privileges. Windows for the average user has been more secure mainly due to additional layers as such.

Anyways, zen5 for gaming is a dud. Let’s see if x3d variants let the core ipc shines a bit more in games without relying as much on fabric/iod which unfortunately was not updated even though it was already a bottleneck for zen4.

@RobertR1 I can't really understand why they haven't improved the fabric. Maintaining that 1:1 ratio between FCLK and UCLK has been a thing with Ryzen the whole time, but for whatever reason they seem to have capped out on FCLK. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'd never touch the dual CCD cpus, but even with the single CCD a boost to FCLK could be big. I'm also reading that DDR5 support is still kind of a crapshoot, and even the XMP(whatever AMD calls theirs) is not necessarily stable. Kind of a sad state. I'm back to thinking my next cpu will be intel. I don't know the naming scheme, but whatever the equivalent of a 14600k or 14700k is what I'd be targetting, so I wouldn't be as worried about core degredation. Plus I could undervolt or something, which would probably help. I just don't want to spend a lot of time in the bios messing with things trying to get memory stable etc. I'm not that kind of gamer anymore.

@RobertR1 I can't really understand why they haven't improved the fabric. Maintaining that 1:1 ratio between FCLK and UCLK has been a thing with Ryzen the whole time, but for whatever reason they seem to have capped out on FCLK. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I'd never touch the dual CCD cpus, but even with the single CCD a boost to FCLK could be big. I'm also reading that DDR5 support is still kind of a crapshoot, and even the XMP(whatever AMD calls theirs) is not necessarily stable. Kind of a sad state. I'm back to thinking my next cpu will be intel. I don't know the naming scheme, but whatever the equivalent of a 14600k or 14700k is what I'd be targetting, so I wouldn't be as worried about core degredation. Plus I could undervolt or something, which would probably help. I just don't want to spend a lot of time in the bios messing with things trying to get memory stable etc. I'm not that kind of gamer anymore.

They need to redesign it, physically make it closer to the cpu tiles and increase (band)width. Not all that straightforward. But the fabric is the bottleneck. If for some reason they don’t change it for zen6, I’d say the platform is at a dead end and needs an overhaul.

Arl is out in Oct so expect reliable leaks in a month or so. I have no expectations atm but I’d def want DLVR and CKD support.

AMD today announced the signing of a definitive agreement to acquire ZT Systems, a leading provider of AI infrastructure for the world’s largest hyperscale computing companies. The strategic transaction marks the next major step in AMD’s AI strategy to deliver leadership AI training and inferencing solutions based on innovating across silicon, software and systems. ZT Systems’ extensive experience designing and optimizing cloud computing solutions will also help cloud and enterprise customers significantly accelerate the deployment of AMD-powered AI infrastructure at scale.

AMD has agreed to acquire ZT Systems in a cash and stock transaction valued at $4.9 billion, inclusive of a contingent payment of up to $400 million based on certain post-closing milestones. AMD expects the transaction to be accretive on a non-GAAP basis by the end of 2025.

You’re bypassing UAC and security overhead by going admin account/elevated privileges. Windows for the average user has been more secure mainly due to additional layers as such.

Anyways, zen5 for gaming is a dud. Let’s see if x3d variants let the core ipc shines a bit more in games without relying as much on fabric/iod which unfortunately was not updated even though it was already a bottleneck for zen4.

Seemingly you can also just run the game executable as Administrator without granting account wide privileges and gain the same benefits. MS is also working on a fix to resolve this issue altogether so it should be a non issue by the time Arrow Lake launches.

They need to redesign it, physically make it closer to the cpu tiles and increase (band)width. Not all that straightforward. But the fabric is the bottleneck. If for some reason they don’t change it for zen6, I’d say the platform is at a dead end and needs an overhaul.

Arl is out in Oct so expect reliable leaks in a month or so. I have no expectations atm but I’d def want DLVR and CKD support.

That's happening with Zen 6 as per the leaks, with an early test run of the tech on Strix Halo next year. It should bring an appreciable increase in effective memory bandwidth and lower latency, with power savings as well. But the memory technology itself is in need of upgrade as well, though seems unlikely to happen with Zen 6. Zen 7 should definitely move to LPDDR6/LPCAMM2.

I hate Windows, or maybe I hate BIOS manufacturers. Wtf is this? I think VBS seems like a good thing. I'm not going to disable it, and I don't expect it to be free. The results in this, per game are just all over the place. It seems like Windows behaviour isn't consistent, and it seems like maybe motherboard defaults aren't sane ... or however Windows interacts with the BIOS on boot. Either way, the large disparities in performance for particular games is very unexpected for me. Also Windows being opaque doesn't help. They change things and no one really knows what's going on, but in Linux if they know what they're doing they can go through source or go through commits etc.

Looks like things are going to shift in the next windows release and it seems like that'll be consistently good, but who knows. Really curious to see how this plays out.

@Scott_Arm pretty standard practice to disable VT-D and Virtualization in bios and reclaim the overhead. Only needed if you're running VM's.

When I do an arl build, I'll do a guide on things to disable in bios/os without compromising system security and reclaim 'free' perf.

18 games (almost half the games tested) had a >=10% gain for both zen 4 and 5, 16 games had a >15% improvement for zen 5 and 10 games the same >15% for zen 4. That seems absurd, how much is performance "gained" or if it's getting back to previous standards that were lost with various changes/updates, how much is left to gain? How much could windows handhelds gain? Low power modes could be much more viable now

*Also how much is it 1T vs MT perf increases? Do other things (non-games) gain performance?

Last edited:
I want to see some other sites chime in on this. This all seems too bizzare. I'd really like to see tech sites ensure there cpu benchmarks are not gpu-limited at times. With a 4090 you can still be gpu limited at 1080p high/ultra if you're pushing high frame rates. Just seems odd how some games gain and some don't.

I'm also a bit skeptical of the cases where the 7700x comes out ahead. That seems very odd to me. I haven't seen anything that would explain it. It's a single CCD, so the increase in CCD to CCD latency doesn't apply.

I hope these gains are real and also somewhat apply to zen3. Getting a cpu boost in a couple games would be nice to help me hit 200+ for my 240Hz display.

In summary

1) AMD has been massively underperforming and with a Windows update, it'll now be running faster?
2) As such, everyone who bought an i5 14600k instead of an R7 9700x because it was faster will now be slower on a Windows update ?
3) The performance of last gen AMD is so much better on the Windows update that there's negligible improvement on the new CPUs (although this refresh wasn't really tooting a performance gain over last gen)?

And summary - get yourself a last gen AMD for best value gaming performance on the latest Windows 11.

Where's Windows 10 in all this?

Back