AMD Execution Thread [2024]

For you, yes. I think hardware enthusiasts who talk about this stuff online, much like gamers online in general, have a huge tendency to think they're more representative of the overall market than they really are, though.

You also seemed to have timed it well and got a bit lucky too. Remember the plan was originally NOT to support Zen 3 stuff on earlier AM4 motherboards. Plus the entire market isn't all buying into the earliest generation of a given platform, meaning the scope for upgrading is lessened. Most people will simply not want to upgrade to just a one architectural generation ahead CPU, given the mere 20-25% gains you'll typically get under good circumstances for the extra $250+ cost.

It's a nice option to have for sure, but it doesn't inherently make an Intel CPU 'very poor value' as the other person claimed. That's just a terribly hyperbolic claim.
I don’t think it’s hyperbolic at all. Unless you buy a very low end CPU, it’s very rare that you will ever have a worthwhile upgrade option without purchasing a new motherboard at the absolute minimum. Then we get into whether or not they knowingly release products with the potential for huge performance degradations should their exploits be uncovered.

Can you point out a single area where Intel provides some type of value compared to the competition?

I don’t think it’s hyperbolic at all. Unless you buy a very low end CPU, it’s very rare that you will ever have a worthwhile upgrade option without purchasing a new motherboard at the absolute minimum. Then we get into whether or not they knowingly release products with the potential for huge performance degradations should their exploits be uncovered.

Can you point out a single area where Intel provides some type of value compared to the competition?
Again, the vast majority of people do not upgrade their CPU every 2-3 years, or even every 3-4 years. There's usually just not a lot of need for it. It's a luxury. And remember when we're talking value, you are still having to buy new CPU's to upgrade. That's additional cost. The actual value proposition of upgrading your CPU frequently is not terribly great.

Having to buy a new motherboard and RAM for a new CPU is just the typical CPU upgrade experience, cuz so much will have changed by the time most people get around to wanting/needing to do it. Heck, even if you dont need a new motherboard, upgrades for WiFi, USB options, PCI-E, M2 slots, etc can still be tempting for a lot of people who find keeping up with the latest stuff important.

You're certainly allowed to feel that upgradeability on the same platform is very important to you, but to make sweeping statements like saying Intel CPU's are 'very poor value' all because they dont offer more significant upgrade options is extremely hyperbolic.

And no, I'm not going to extend this into a more generic brand warrior debate about strengths of Intel options.

Back