AMD Execution Thread [2024]

Lol do they have to replace the whole IHS because of this? Or can they use whiteout?

Just get a small piece of steel to scratch out the offending number and then etch in the 7 :D

Yeah, it's laser etched, should be trivial to remove old and add new without notably thinning the IHS
What are the logistics of the necessary production lines though? Is there already a machine that'll mass remove printing errors before printing on them again? I imagine not and the process of reprinting countless CPUs something of a nightmare.

What are the logistics of the necessary production lines though? Is there already a machine that'll mass remove printing errors before printing on them again? I imagine not and the process of reprinting countless CPUs something of a nightmare.
I don't see why you couldn't do it with the same machines you first printed them with (IIRC it's pretty much the last thing you do for the otherwise complete cpu)

I was wondering that so I went to email one of my contacts at AMD, and then realized I don't have any anymore since they all left. :(

AMD Q2 results are in, Data Center revenue is excellent (up 115% Y/Y, 20% Q/Q) with increased MI300X and Epyc sales, Ryzen sales are up 50% Y/Y, 10% Q/Q.

Gaming is massively down 60% down Y/Y, and 30% down Q/Q. Embedded is also down 40% Y/Y.

Total revenue is 5.8 billion (up 9% Y/Y and 7% Q/Q).

Last edited:
I suspect this Intel flub is going to give them a bit of a boost on both sides, and their Turin offerings have a lot of solid potential in the datacenter space where VMware / Broadcom licensing is skewering people and customers are looking for more IPC to cut down on total licensure costs.

Yeah, the actual reason for delay? Typos in heatspreader. Ryzen 5 9600X and Ryzen 7 9700X marked as Ryzen 9 9600X/9700X. Though it doesn't explain why actual Ryzen 9's were delayed even more than those.

Is this confirmed as legit? Looks photoshopped, the "7" dosen't quite look right, and unlikely that any Zen 5 CPU was packaged in 2023 right?
AMD Q2 results are in, Data Center revenue is excellent (up 115% Y/Y, 20% Q/Q) with increased MI300X and Epyc sales, Ryzen sales are up 50% Y/Y, 10% Q/Q.

Gaming is massively down 50% down Y/Y, and 30% down Q/Q. Embedded is also down 40% Y/Y.

Total revenue is 5.8 billion (up 9% Y/Y and 7% Q/Q).

Solid results and above analyst expectations, should be a good H2 for client CPU and Datacenter as well. But gaming and embedded are definitely below par. Even if semi custom sales are down, gaming GPUs shouldn't have fallen so much and seem unlikely to recover before RDNA4/PS5 Pro but even then seems like gaming is not going to be a significant contributor until RDNA5 I suppose. And I think even the embedded roadmap doesn't have anything new until 2025, so revenue is likely to remain flat but it is decently profitable.
I suspect this Intel flub is going to give them a bit of a boost on both sides, and their Turin offerings have a lot of solid potential in the datacenter space where VMware / Broadcom licensing is skewering people and customers are looking for more IPC to cut down on total licensure costs.
It's not a significant boost in IPC, I mean 16% is nothing to sneeze at but it's not going to reduce core counts as such unless you're running AVX 512 workloads where Turin will be significantly faster. AMD is rather pushing more cores with Turin, particularly with Turin Dense along with power efficiency as it's on 3nm.

Even a ten percent IPC bump matters to a customer with literally half a million licensed CPU cores under VMWare. Fifty thousand less VCF licenses is a meaningful adjustment when negotiating a new contract with Broadcom. Ugh those bastards really deserve to die in a fire...

To your point regarding Turin's "dense" SKUs, there's a Turin proc coming that gets down to 2.7w/core at standard TDP and offers a cTDP of as little as 2.2w/core. This is significant again for major operations where hundreds of thousands of CPUs are running in a single datacenter location.

I'm feeling pretty bullish about AMD this year and next. Might be time to put some money where my mouth is and log into E-Trade :D

Last edited:
So less consoles being made? Surely then console sales also down large percentages.
Xbox hardware is down 42% this quarter, it was also down the same last quarter and last year, Microsot isn't even interested in selling Xbox hardware it seems, they only focused on PC gaming and Xbox cloud during their financial statement, that means little Xbox hardware is being sold, coupled with very little Radeon sales and decreased PS5 sales and you get this result.

Last edited:
Back