AMD Execution Thread [2023]

Status
Not open for further replies.
AMD going where I speculated nvidia could when DLSS3 was announced.

Hopefully nvidia soon follow suite with their optical-flow only DLSS3 driver side, will have a reason for logging into GFE.

Bit of a confusing GPU stack overall from AMD with a pricing chasm between dies and the purpose of the cut down model again is to upsell you. Anandtech has slides from AMD comparing them to a 5700XT/2070 which isn't that encouraging, the 7700XT looks around 1.25x faster than the 6700XT (which itself is about 1.3x faster than the 5700XT). Full Navi 32 looks about 1.5x faster than Navi 22 from company marketing slides™ so the (expected) gain die to die is there, except it's now positioned next to the 6800XT so that gap is about 1.1x. Seems like almost every GPU this generation is one tier higher than it should be from both companies in terms of one or more of name/position/price point

If it doesn't require ML hardware, then what exactly are these dedicated AI cores sitting on RDNA3 doing exactly?

RDNA3 doesn't have "dedicated AI cores", as in matrix math units from what I remember. They were using all the same numbers from the shaders and dual issue claims for their "AI"numbers so unless they have the narrowest units in existence they're repurposing shader numbers and blurring some lines here

Did they fixex clocks in these new cards?
Doesn't look like it, according to Anandtech reference boost clocks are 2430MHz 7800XT, 2544MHz 7700XT which are in line with every other RDNA3 release (all approx. 2400-2600MHz)

Gotta say, this isn't terrible. Not great, but $500 for 7800XT is ok. And I expect 7700XT to fall in price after a bit, as a $50 price gap for what's not a small performance difference is just not going to work in the market. At like $420-430 or so, I think the 7700XT will be reasonably appealing.

RDNA2 parts wont last forever on the market, so good to have some alternatives in this range finally.

Bit of a confusing GPU stack overall from AMD with a pricing chasm between dies and the purpose of the cut down model again is to upsell you.
Definitely a shame as AMD used to give cut down parts without cutting the memory bus. These made for some great value parts, but I guess that's what they're trying to fix. I also imagine that they wont be short of fully enabled 7800XT chips, as we're talking four very small 6nm chips and one also fairly small 200mm² 5nm die. Yields should be pretty great.

As for the gaps, there's room to fill them in time. A 7900 non-X as a further cut down Navi 21 part. Perhaps just mimic the 7900 Chinese part, or maybe go with a less cut down memory bus to help value out some. And then a 7700 non-X, which could easily be something like 42-44CU and retaining the 192-bit bus for $350. Maybe it'll just take time to accumulate enough GCD dies with such defectiveness.

I'm just hoping these drive down to price of a 6700 10gb to about $200us. Not too unrealistic of a hope, just if supplies of the 6700 hold out long enough.

Bit of a confusing GPU stack overall from AMD with a pricing chasm between dies and the purpose of the cut down model again is to upsell you.
There's 7900 GRE, it's just not available in retail for ROW, just China. But custom pc shops can get them elsewhere too, as well as OEM manufacturers ofc.

Hopefully nvidia soon follow suite with their optical-flow only DLSS3 driver side
You can forget about that, the AMD implementation of AFMF here is garbage, firstly it is tied into the Hyper-RX crap, so you can't use it separately, secondly AFMF will work on any game indeed, but will auto disable itself on fast mouse movement, to minimze artefacts. Which makes it just a marketing stunt in my opinion.

You can forget about that, the AMD implementation of AFMF here is garbage, firstly it is tied into the Hyper-RX crap, so you can't use it separately, secondly AFMF will work on any game indeed, but will auto disable itself on fast mouse movement, to minimze artefacts. Which makes it just a marketing stunt in my opinion.
Err, wtf are you on?
AMD Fluid Motion Frames is supported officially on RX 5700+ and RTX 20+, works on older/less performant cards too but experience might not be as good.
Only Anti-Lag+ requires RDNA 3, but it's not required for FMF. AMD also has older Anti-Lag which works on all Radeons, dunno if it'll work as replacement in Hypr-RX though, but works or not, it's not required for FSR 3 including Fluid Motion Frames.

Also Digital Foundry apparently claim it looks like a good match for DLSS 3 on first look (mentioned earlier in thread with link)

Err, wtf are you on?
What you are describing is FSR3, that's not what we are talking about.

We are talking about the AMD driver side Frame Generation that will work on DX11/DX12 games. It's dubbed AFMF, and it's a very limited form of frame generation, it's not a separate toggle, but activated only inside the Hyper-RX tech, and it's also deactivated with fast mouse/camera movements. So it's practically useless.

Also Digital Foundry apparently claim it looks like a good match for DLSS 3 on first look (mentioned earlier in thread with link)
Controlled non interactive demo in two launch titles running on the most suitable hardware (obviously). We'll see how it will fare in the real world. The recommendation of 30 series is vague enough to already be questionable (will 3050 do better than 2080Ti?)

Gotta say, this isn't terrible. Not great, but $500 for 7800XT is ok. And I expect 7700XT to fall in price after a bit, as a $50 price gap for what's not a small performance difference is just not going to work in the market. At like $420-430 or so, I think the 7700XT will be reasonably appealing.

RDNA2 parts wont last forever on the market, so good to have some alternatives in this range finally.

Yeah the $500 7800XT is...decent, albeit I'll admit DLSS 3.5 is tempering my even mild enthusiasm somewhat. Compared directly to the 16GB 4060ti and it definitely looks good.

The 7700XT however, is bizarre. There is no reason to purchase one over the 7800xt unless the actual retail price gets to $400 quickly, which it probably will. Launching at at $400 would have also allowed AMD to compare it directly to the 8GB 4060, which they would decimate if they picked the benchmarks appropriately - which wouldn't be hard to do with highest texture settings (fair game IMO). If the split was $500/$400 then wouldn't have even needed to bring in the 4070, this would have been their 4060 lineup equivalent and would have looked far better in comparison.

So that's a lost marketing opportunity. My only guess is they can't just make enough at a decent margin at that price point.

Yeah the $500 7800XT is...decent, albeit I'll admit DLSS 3.5 is tempering my even mild enthusiasm somewhat. Compared directly to the 16GB 4060ti and it definitely looks good.

The 7700XT however, is bizarre. There is no reason to purchase one over the 7800xt unless the actual retail price gets to $400 quickly, which it probably will. Launching at at $400 would have also allowed AMD to compare it directly to the 8GB 4060, which they would decimate if they picked the benchmarks appropriately - which wouldn't be hard to do with highest texture settings (fair game IMO). If the split was $500/$400 then wouldn't have even needed to bring in the 4070, this would have been their 4060 lineup equivalent and would have looked far better in comparison.

So that's a lost marketing opportunity. My only guess is they can't just make enough at a decent margin at that price point.
I dont think it's a lack of margins, it's just that because they'll have an abundance of 7800XT's they can produce, they'd rather sell people on those. The GCD on this thing is only 200mm² and on a very mature, high yielding process. They'll have a huge percentage of chips that can be sent out fully enabled.

I suspect AMD actively want people and reviews to recommend the 7800XT over the 7700XT.

What you are describing is FSR3, that's not what we are talking about.

We are talking about the AMD driver side Frame Generation that will work on DX11/DX12 games. It's dubbed AFMF, and it's a very limited form of frame generation, it's not a separate toggle, but activated only inside the Hyper-RX tech, and it's also deactivated with fast mouse/camera movements. So it's practically useless.
Not useless for joystick users or consoles though. So not useless at all in theory and there’s a massive catalog of games that could use this to get to 120 or at least above 60

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back