AMD Execution Thread [2022]

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the prices of AM5 boards and DDR5 being what they are I ain't gonna be upgrading to it anytime soon. I still have my lil 1600 going strong, I should be able to find a decent deal on a strong AM4 CPU upgrade for a while still I expect.

With the prices of AM5 boards and DDR5 being what they are I ain't gonna be upgrading to it anytime soon. I still have my lil 1600 going strong, I should be able to find a decent deal on a strong AM4 CPU upgrade for a while still I expect.

I went 1700x to 3700 and am happy. I think I am going to do a 4080 to replace my 3080 and then next year when DDR5 settles and maybe the 8x00 series hits I will upgrade my cpu.

Why not just pick up a 5000 series now? They're not going to go down in price a whole lot more until they're all gone. You can already get a 5800X for $240. That's a huge upgrade over your 1600.

Seeing benchmarks/DF analysis, anything above a 2080Ti (my current GPU still) and you'd want something faster then a Zen2 CPU. Zen3 was quite a nice healthy improvement over zen2, and ofcours alder lake does some magic feeding higher end gpu's.

Why not just pick up a 5000 series now? They're not going to go down in price a whole lot more until they're all gone. You can already get a 5800X for $240. That's a huge upgrade over your 1600.

Second this, 5800x is a performance beast and a rather large upgrade over a 1600.

not sure about DW but for instance my board doesn't support a 5x00 series chip. He might be in the same boat.

not sure about DW but for instance my board doesn't support a 5x00 series chip. He might be in the same boat.
That sucks, your board manufacturer isn't updating BIOS anymore? Doesn't have AGESA 1.2.0.7.?

MSI confirmed price range of at least 289.99-1299.99 USD for their X670(E) lineup, 4 models up in the store so far.

I have a asrock ab350 gaming k4. Latest update is AM4 PI 1.0.0.6. I bought it a few months after the ryzen launch so I didn't expect it to be supported so long.
I have the Asrock B450 Pro 4 that I got for cheap and I'm not really sure what it supports, I believe it does have an update to support the 5 series but I'm not sure.

I have a asrock ab350 gaming k4. Latest update is AM4 PI 1.0.0.6. I bought it a few months after the ryzen launch so I didn't expect it to be supported so long.

I have the Asrock B450 Pro 4 that I got for cheap and I'm not really sure what it supports, I believe it does have an update to support the 5 series but I'm not sure.
If you don't mind using Beta, you can get up to date.
You need to first install Beta 7.00 as "Bridge BIOS" to new AGESA and then you can get Beta 7.20 based on AGESA Combo V2 PI 1.2.0.7

You are good to go for the 5x00 series just need a bios update

If you don't mind using Beta, you can get up to date.
You need to first install Beta 7.00 as "Bridge BIOS" to new AGESA and then you can get Beta 7.20 based on AGESA Combo V2 PI 1.2.0.7

Thanks for the information. I will have to check pricing. I was thinking of just going am5 with the generation after the 7x000 chips but maybe if I can grab a cheap 5x00 series my wife can take this chip and eol the 1700x

That's really poor support from the manufacturer. Asus have kept my Prime X370-Pro up to date the entire time.

That's really poor support from the manufacturer. Asus have kept my Prime X370-Pro up to date the entire time.
The x370 is a more expensive mobo chipset. But it does look like there is a beta branch that supports it. I am just not sure I want to go that route based on pricing. My board has 1 nvme and 1 sata m.2 slot . The cost of a motherboard compared to a cpu is pretty low.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back