AMD drivers are a complete joke

I don't know what kind of people are working at the AMD driver team but they should all have their asses fired and be replaced by bananas. Bananas will be able to do a better job.

After my run in with the AMD HDMI audio driver crapping itself when switching between my monitor and tv I found out the problem was fixed by disabling the AMD external event utility. However I now figured out this has some unwanted side effects. For whatever reason disabling the utility screws up power management. I have my monitor set to turn off after 15 minutes. So far so good. But after it goes to sleep and I want to wake it up again, no go. The monitor turns back on but the screen is only black. If I press the power button to turn off my pc the screen displays windows shutting down.

Turn the events utility back on and the problem is solved (along with the audio driver crapping itself again).

Seems the AMD driver team is incapable of getting even the most basic functions to work properly. I don't know if they are just a bunch of morons or if they just don't give a crap and perform no QC. What I do know is I spent 400 dollars on a product that lacks basic functionality and I'll be jumping through hoops for the next couple of years trying to make it do what I want.

All this worked perfectly fine on my Nvidia card. This will be the last AMD product I've bought unless they get their shit together and make a driver that can at least provide basic functionality.

My PC has also started crashing while watching videos since I updated to the latest driver, indicating the AMD driver is at fault in my lovely BSOD or whatever they like to call it on Windows 8.1.

This with a total uninstall, reboot, cc clean, reboot, search for AMD files and folders (deleting any stragglers), reboot, complete fresh install.

AMD drivers are a complete crapshoot as far as HDCP goes as well. I can literally lose any HDCP and completely screw up WMC tv just by trying different drivers. I believe my main HTPC is stuck on 11.4 because anything else just doesn't work 100% of the time.

I don't know if this AMD problem or something else, but my Samsung TV can't accept HDMI signal after a successful boot to Windows. It can display image while at bios and Windows loading screen.
I'm suspecting it's an AMD problem because the TV can accept the signal perfectly in safe mode! WTF!? It's definitely a software problem, either AMD problem or MS. On Win 8.1

Just to balance things a bit I want to say that for me AMD driver works with:

Kaveri IGP:
* Samsung LED TV through HDMI (UE55ES8000)
* Can change HDMI Audio output from Optical to HDMI to A/V Receiver any time I want
R9 290X:
* Can change Audio between Analogue Speakers and HDMI Samsung TV (older 32'') even when TV is plugged off/on from power (causing AMD Driver to re-detect it on the fly in Windows 7 Pro x64)

But I too had occasional problem with AMD driver a while back when coin mining causing BSOD's and undesired behaviour. I've sorted it by fresh installing Windows as problems were caused by AMD drivers not being able to uninstall/reinstall themselves properly, especially after nVidia card was present in system prior to Radeon (not sure who's to blame here :devilish:).

two PC's here using HDMI, two HD6970's in crossfire hooked to a Vizio TV, and an 290X connected to a Samsung, with no problems.

I'm sort of in one leg in either camp with regards to AMD driver suckage (or not). On one hand, games work pretty well, but doing GPGPU while running a 3D game, or sometimes just starting a youtube video results in more or less instant BSODs.

...Which is pretty shitty when you think about it.

if I don't reboot for a few days all my videos are just green... not tinted but completely green. So I dunno other than that I don't have any problems

So I tried to remove AMD driver (using the catalyst manager and choose uninstall). Still no image on my Samsung TV using the default Windows driver. Btw, on my Toshiba TV, the HDMI out works, but produce blurry picture @1080p but works fine @720p. Using DVI out (to HDMI) with works perfectly to either TV and HDMI out works in safe mode on my Samsung TV, still blurry on my Toshiba TV.
This is the problem with PC. If you managed to make it work properly, then good for you. For someone that ran into trouble, it sucks.

Not related to AMD, but still an annoying problem, there is a new PC at the office and it BSOD-ing several minutes after entering Windows. It didn't happen initially, but after testing it with 3dsmax, it crashed. I ran OCCP to check the stability... It crashed. Now just entering Windows and doing nothing, crashed. It's either something wrong with Windows (run sfc /scannow, no problem), with RAM (using Microsoft memory diagnostic tool, pass), problem with the Mainboard. Passing the test doesn't mean there isn't a problem with Window or RAM, it just mean that the problem is more annoying than I initially thought it would be.

TVs all seem do their own thing with interpreting HDMI signals and with PC output this makes life difficult...

In my case, AMD's installation program would crash or have partial failures when trying to install the drivers on Windows 7. The drivers themselves would install correctly, but the "AMD Install Manager" would fail to install and not show up in Windows' control panel. So, to uninstall the drivers I had to do it manually, one by one. That happened with 2 or 3 driver versions and regardless of having a fresh Win7 install or a fully updated one.

TVs all seem do their own thing with interpreting HDMI signals and with PC output this makes life difficult...

STB's seem to have no problem whatsoever (or very very few in comparison). It's very frustrating that we have basically 2 or 3 companies making output devices for PC's yet there are so many issues across driver versions and chipsets for HDMI.

I'm tempted to install the latest rc driver, and I did install it. Now I'm having those wonderful BSOD back. I'm trying to stabilize it by relaxing the RAM timing and add a slightly more voltage overall. Anyway, right now I'm leaving the PC running OCCT power supply test (so I can stress the CPU and GPU at the same time) for 1hr and I'm going to sleep now. If it's stable, then I might try to run OCCT longer.
And I just found out that AMD installed a program called AMD quick stream. Disabling it makes my PC Internet connection faster! Previously I thought that my ISP is overloaded, apparently not!

Wow they're installing Internet shapers bundled with the drivers now? What a stupid idea.

No mention of ipv4/6 either in the white paper. I'm completely ipv6 end to end (on servers that support of course)

The latest RC didn't work. Now going back to the stable release. I might try another go at it, probably going to try completely removing the old driver using DDU.

Back