AMD-ATI Merger First Consequence: Ati to Be Renamed AMD

That pciture from Dailytech is interesting as it shows they arent going to be dropping the high end imo. They are showing a quadcore GPU design. Although I think the CPU in its picture is a bit suspect being a single core. I am sure that is just a typo :D

Erm is it me or are the noises AMD are making in the press releases a bit worrying for the discrete PC GPU market? AMD want to focus on integration and mobile spaces... please we need more than one competitor in the PC GPU market.. don't do a PowerVR on us.

Why's that different from the "SLI platform", with overclocked HT links, SLI memory etc.?...

It's not and it wont offer any real difference in performance or stability or anything. The general consumer will like it regardless however.

EDIT:
Erm is it me or are the noises AMD are making in the press releases a bit worrying for the discrete PC GPU market? AMD want to focus on integration and mobile spaces... please we need more than one competitor in the PC GPU market.. don't do a PowerVR on us.

yeah I agree it is worrying. We can only hope that amd realizes that the high end GPU market wont necessarily be profitable but the trickle down effect of having the best card out there surely will be worth the cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kanyamagufa said:
One can only hope, my friend. =)
Well, I see one bright side to this whole thing at least.

The AMD hat that Snipe sent me as a replacement for my ATi one the puppies chewed up feels oddly aprapo now... :LOL:

The question now is whether we need a stronger competitor in the CPU space or GPU space.
AMD, being AMD pretty much answers that question.

This actually won't be that bad. Every normal consumer needs a CPU. Stronger competition in CPu space helps lower down the prices and gives consumer more choice.
High-end GPU is only needed for specific interest group, like gamers, animation designers, etc.

It is actually good thing for PC computing to have a bigger CPU player rather than a GPU IHV.

I want my 4X4 AMD Athlon X2 5800+ and AMD ATI Radeon X2800 XTX XFire running on my AMD Ati Radeon Xpress X3800 now!

In all seriousness now I do hope they bring all their products under one collective marketting banner. Make it simpler damnit!

Say,

AMD 200 Processor
AMD 200 Graphics
AMD 200 Motherboard (can't think of a better descriptive name...)

AMD 200 Computer.

Would make it *so* much easier for average consumer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reuters thinks nVidia may be unexpected benefactor

http://www.investor.reuters.com/Article.aspx?docid=9886&src=072406_1430_INVESTING_comment_%26_analysis&target=companyoftheday

NVIDIA shares were up over 7 percent in heavy trading on Monday morning. With ATI tied to AMD's plans, it looks like NVIDIA has lost a competitor.

Brian Piccioni, of BMO Capital Markets, said in a note published that "it seems likely that (NVIDIA) will, within 12 to 18 months, have the highly profitable high-end discrete GPU market all to itself."

All speculation at this point, but I have my doubts that AMD's goal in purchasing ATI was to enter the high end video card market. Time will tell.

trumphsiao said:
I heard R6XX product line subsume Dual-Core package SKU(workstation).

I sincerely wish one day AMD and ATI would share the R&D cost and do some lay-off (numerous employees overlap )

What employees overlap?

BTW, ATI didn't have that great of a brand name anyhow, though that shade of red is pretty I guess. Radeon was a much stronger brand name.

And yes, the high end GPU R&D will no doubt be one of the first budgets to go when the dust finally settles and cash flow becomes an issue on the CPU side. hmmm, and what's in this for ATI again?

Hopefully AMD will learn from history and realize that any company that cuts out the high end eventually falls behind on the low end too. The high end is important for both brand recognition and for technology development. Besides, look at AMD's previous history of aquisitions, all the companies put out better products by becoming part of AMD than by being seperate.

AMD has been way down compared to Intel in the past and has managed to be the star the last 5 years.... Conroe is a great CPU but is going to be a short lived speed king...

That remains to be seen about why K8L comes out and how good it is.
Kind of interesting though, AMD has had the best cpu line/best cpu in....
1999 - 2001, and 2003 - 2005. They fell behind intel in everything (except dirt cheap prices) in 2002, and in 2006, Conroe looks to give AMD a beating from top to bottom.

AMD didnt need ATI to survive, they've been surviving for decades.

AMD has had some real rough points, mainly since they stopped being a clone of Intel chips. Anyhow, this is a big purchase for AMD, it basically makes up for years of doing nothing beyond producing cpus, overnight AMD has gathered all the growth that Intel spent years doing. (in terms of tech and fields they're in) Well, ok, AMD made some attempts at some other stuff, but failed in all of them, while ATI covers most of those same fields much better.

Now all we need is AMD to buy a soundcard manufacturer and they can ship out pretty decent closed systems.

Use one of the extra cores for that.

That pciture from Dailytech is interesting as it shows they arent going to be dropping the high end imo. They are showing a quadcore GPU design. Although I think the CPU in its picture is a bit suspect being a single core. I am sure that is just a typo

Those aren't cores it's showing, just 'units'. It's showing 4 way crossfire.

L233 said:
ATI will be to AMD what S3 is to VIA. :cry:

The first proof it can't be like that is that they could have bought VIA/S3 themselves on the cheap (certainly cheaper than buying ATI).

Think about it:

- They would get DX9 and beyond basic integrated graphics (and Nano-ITX is very close to the idea of "full integration").
- They would acquire further expertise on low-power designs.
- They would become a provider for in-house chipset designs, not great/outstanding performance, but certainly more experienced with AMD platforms.
- Both would be very cheap and easy to integrate on a notebook or a business PC, for instance, allowing massification like the "Centrino" platform.

Yet, they didn't do it.

That's because they were after the top edge of R&D ASWELL as instant marketshare/brand recognition, something that can't be achieved with the buyout of a much smaller player.

The first proof it can't be like that is that they could have bought VIA/S3 themselves on the cheap (certainly cheaper than buying ATI).

I think VIA is worth about $3 billion, so they're cheaper but still an expensive purchase that would get AMD really nothing of value.
Well, nothing except http://www.girlzgaminghouse.com/ this. Oh yeah, you know you wanna up your Chrome level to match Fatal1ty.
Lol, I can't believe those gamer girls are winning any tournaments with the spec sheet he puts together.
http://www.girlzgaminghouse.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=28&Itemid=29
I mean.....S3 graphics for Quake 4? I can't imagine that working out well. Eh, I guess it is just one big VIA sponsored ad, so no wonder he plugs VIA stuff whenever possible. I'm surprised he doesn't recommend a VIA Eden cpu.

Oh, back to VIA being nothing of value...
It does not have a reputation of top quality chipsets, which would make AMD's new chipsets a hard sell for many. If AMD just wanted to produce chipsets, they had their own dev team.

AMD has produced its own integrated graphics for its geode line, if they wanted DX9 integrated graphics there are cheaper ways to get it than buying a large company, like hiring the talent or buying a small company.

VIA's low power designs aren't low power for the performance they offer. AMD's Geode line was comparable in performance/power. Just VIA was the only company that tried to make a market out of it. Plus, the low power designs (and even Nano-ITX) don't sell for all that much, I doubt AMD would want to shift fab space away from their higher end cpus.

Currently, ATI is the leader for mobile AMD platforms, a market that VIA never came close to getting right.

Plus, maybe VIA didn't want to sell, they're owned by one of the largest conglomerates in Taiwan who could probably buy AMD.

Back