AMD-ATI Merger First Consequence: Ati to Be Renamed AMD

Farid

Artist formely known as Vysez
Veteran
Supporter
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/DownloadableAssets/AMD_ATI_Fact_Sheet.pdf

Name of new company: AMD

To the Ati fans: Time to remove your Ati stickers of your machines, folks.

Farewell old logo:

ati_logo.jpg

The name of the combined company is AMD, but there's still the ATI business unit, with its own identity. There's no renaming announced in that document, just confirmation of the larger company name.

On a more serious tone, this time.

Ati as a brand should coexist with the AMD brand on all the Ati products, for a certain time, for obvious transitional reasons.

Nevertheless, AMD doesn't want Ati has a discrete self operating entity but to be part of the AMD structure, under these conditions one should not expect AMD to fund two concurrent marketing plans, one for each of the brands -- Ati and AMD.

In a relatively middle to short time, AMD should the only of two brand remaining. Streamlining the brand marketing management and the brand recognition factor for the AMD group.

Intel will crush them

:cry:

I really doubt the name will go anyplace, it will be kept around for brand recognition. At least until AMD completely stamps out high end R&D.

I'm going to cry in a corner now.

I heard R6XX product line subsume Dual-Core package SKU(workstation).

I sincerely wish one day AMD and ATI would share the R&D cost and do some lay-off (numerous employees overlap )

SugarCoat said:
Intel will crush them

:cry:

I really doubt the name will go anyplace, it will be kept around for brand recognition. At least until AMD completely stamps out high end R&D.

I'm going to cry in a corner now.

Funny, although this is a pretty negative view I tend to agree. I suspect AMD will ultimately struggle/fail against Intel and alas will only drag ATI down with them. And yes, the high end GPU R&D will no doubt be one of the first budgets to go when the dust finally settles and cash flow becomes an issue on the CPU side. hmmm, and what's in this for ATI again?

Stop being so gfx-centric people! This deal is great for AMD, if anything helps them to survive for a couple more years and be able to compete against Intel, this is it.

_xxx_ said:
Stop being so gfx-centric people! This deal is great for AMD, if anything helps them to survive for a couple more years and be able to compete against Intel, this is it.

This is Beyond3D not BeyondCPU :p

Well the CPU is one of the things which make 3D possible, right? :)

And seeing the developments, maybe we'll see a CGPU soon :p

Seiko said:
Funny, although this is a pretty negative view I tend to agree. I suspect AMD will ultimately struggle/fail against Intel and alas will only drag ATI down with them. And yes, the high end GPU R&D will no doubt be one of the first budgets to go when the dust finally settles and cash flow becomes an issue on the CPU side. hmmm, and what's in this for ATI again?
why would AMD fail to intel? AMD has been way down compared to Intel in the past and has managed to be the star the last 5 years.... Conroe is a great CPU but is going to be a short lived speed king... Intel is the one laying off, BIG time. The reason to have ATI is to dominate the chipset/onboardGPU world. then the on die cpu/gpu. I see MORE resourses for ATIs highend. And in the current conroe chipset world the rd600 will embaress intell... funny the best chipset for conroe will be a AMD ....
65nm yousay.. at TSMC.... .45nm... i think AMD will be very helpfull, whos going to help NVDA? Sony?
China? who has the largest partnership in china?(not taiwan) well ATI does. Can one say a few 100,000,000 new customers in the next 4 years... All upside for me

_xxx_ said:

AMD didnt need ATI to survive, they've been surviving for decades. What i'm personally expecting to happen is the company to sit in the same status quo it has for years before which will in turn HURT ATI's output because they are now one in the same. Make a little profit here, make a little profit there, but no major moves. They wont funnel money into enthusiast graphics if they're getting their asses kicked in their main business which will problably be discreet graphics and central processors.This move was made to try to best Intel and give ATI an even stronger launching pad for its products. I personally dont see that happening when they're competing against a giant like Intel, and Nvidia is growing quite fast as well and can certainly handle themselves. It will take decades before AMD could become as strong as Intel, and alot of things along the way may get cut as casualties of war. Mid-High End Graphics cards and ground breaking R&D in high end GPUs is just one of them.

SugarCoat said:
... It will take decades before AMD could become as strong as Intel, ....
They will never be as big as intell and they dont need too.Just by merging with ATI shows they are ready to do the big thinking, which Intell cant do.

I think everyone here is being totally pessimistic.

AMD have already come out talking about their 4x4 program. Pairing it up with either Crossfire or SLI (of course they had to say that).

ATi were saying about watch this space for PPU developments in 9 months time.

What uses 4 CPU's at the moment? Well apart from getting your Super PI scores down. Nothing at all.

I wouldnt say that AMD and ATI havent been talking to each other for many months now. Could we see them coming out with an ultimate platform of Mult-CPU, Multi-GPU with either one supporting PPU functions.

I wouldnt bet the farm that AMD will suddenly drop the highend and not be competitive with Nvidia. I would rather be willing to bet that designs are more centered to converging the CPU, Mobo, Ram and GPU and optimising everything they can do deliever the ultimate gaming experience under Vista.

Just think about it now. Optimised drivers for your mobo, that work in tandem with your gfx card. A dual/quad core CPU or dual CPU's for 4x/8x configuration and Dual/Quad/Hex Crossfire? As ATI mobos may have 3 PCI-E slots.

If you guys need to go anywhere. Look at X-Box/360. Its all under one roof. Its all controlled, its all streamlined right? :LOL:

Imagine AMD telling you, these mobos, gfx cards, cpus... they all work together to give you the most optimised and best gaming platform.

Buy Intel + Nvidia and you arent as optimised....

Now all we need is AMD to buy a soundcard manufacturer and they can ship out pretty decent closed systems. :LOL:

demonic said:
I think everyone here is being totally pessimistic.

AMD have already come out talking about their 4x4 program. Pairing it up with either Crossfire or SLI (of course they had to say that).

ATi were saying about watch this space for PPU developments in 9 months time.

What uses 4 CPU's at the moment? Well apart from getting your Super PI scores down. Nothing at all.

I wouldnt say that AMD and ATI havent been talking to each other for many months now. Could we see them coming out with an ultimate platform of Mult-CPU, Multi-GPU with either one supporting PPU functions.

I wouldnt bet the farm that AMD will suddenly drop the highend and not be competitive with Nvidia. I would rather be willing to bet that designs are more centered to converging the CPU, Mobo, Ram and GPU and optimising everything they can do deliever the ultimate gaming experience under Vista.

Just think about it now. Optimised drivers for your mobo, that work in tandem with your gfx card. A dual/quad core CPU or dual CPU's for 4x/8x configuration and Dual/Quad/Hex Crossfire? As ATI mobos may have 3 PCI-E slots.

If you guys need to go anywhere. Look at X-Box/360. Its all under one roof. Its all controlled, its all streamlined right? :LOL:

Imagine AMD telling you, these mobos, gfx cards, cpus... they all work together to give you the most optimised and best gaming platform.

Now all we need is AMD to buy a soundcard manufacturer and they can ship out pretty decent closed systems. :LOL:

AMD has no choice but to go with 4x4.

AMD won't suddenly drop the high end GPU, but if Intel puts AMD in a bind on the CPU side, well, where does most of the money come from? The small GPU side gets cut first. And Intel right now will put AMD in a bad situation, they already have. And it will stay this way for at least 1 year when AMD can get out thier new cores.

Well the way AMD works with thier partners both nV and ATi have access to the same info before and after the merger, so thats not going to change, so the optimised chipset, motherboard, cpu analogy isn't going to work.

demonic said:

I agree that people are being pessimistic, myself included. But there are many more ways that this go go wrong that right.

The optimized platform only works if each component is on par with the competition. Also, it is in no way analogous to the Xbox360 since that is a closed platform with a singular purpose which is the exact opposite of a PC.

demonic said:
Why's that different from the "SLI platform", with overclocked HT links, SLI memory etc.?...

Jawed

Jawed said:
Why's that different from the "SLI platform", with overclocked HT links, SLI memory etc.?...

Jawed
Because the CPU doesn't say "nVidia" on it?

Back