Am I crazy? (Car Question)

The Murcielago is imo a supercar thought, and it has the supercar look :)

Um, how can you say that a 911 GT2\3\Turbo is a sportscar and then call an F430\360 and Gallardo a supercar?

I really always called those (F430/360 Gallardo) supercars because of the looks, power, handling, and general coolness. =)
All 911's are 911's hence sports car from bottom to top, Imho.

About the Veryon, How well does it go round a track? Does it compare to an Enzo, MC F1, Zonda, etc?

I agree with Ostepop on the sportscar vs. supercar discussion. It's not reasonable to say that a Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari Enzo, Pagini Zonda or even McClaren F1 are comparable to a Porsche 9/11 Turbo or Ferrari 430. The Veryon in particular is just a totally different beast - reflected, if nothing else, in the price.

But it is fair to compare a porsche 911 to a MX-5 as they are both sports cars? Cant there be a range of "supercars" of all different values?

(Mize, Sorry to semi derail the topic, but the supercar discussion is interesting =), Should we split the thread?)

Last edited by a moderator:
Heres a dillema
its front engined
but it does produce 1012 bhp
and is limited to 225mph without the limiter it should be good for 270mph
The Bristol Fighter - T

Heres a dillema
its front engined
but it does produce 1012 bhp
and is limited to 225mph without the limiter it should be good for 270mph
The Bristol Fighter - T

F'n Cool for sure.

Supercar.... But..... Grand touring? I think we need a category for Super Touring. Stick this, the Veyron, the 599GTB ETC into it.

What about the Capro T1? What do you call that thing?

Entry level Ferrari's and Lambo's cannot be classified as supercars, imo to high production volumes and to bad performance puts it out of that class,..

You didn't just say Ferrari, Lambo and bad performance in the same sentence did you?!?!?!?

<Edit: again assuming cars from the past 15 years and not historic cars>

But if you go to the track the most popular track car in the world - by a huge margin - is the MX5.

Thats because the MX5 is probably the cheapest way to get a 50\50 weight balanced car with RWD. I agree that its good value for money, but imo that doesn't mean its not a girly car.

You didn't just say Ferrari, Lambo and bad performance in the same sentence did you?!?!?!?

<Edit: again assuming cars from the past 15 years and not historic cars>

Yes i did. Entry level Ferrari's and Lambo's arent particularly special except for their looks. (Sure the F430 have good handling and both are fast cars, but nothing special compared to other cars in their price range. Hell, nothing special compared to even a Corvette Z06 in terms of performance and that comes at 1\3 of the price.)

About the Veryon, How well does it go round a track? Does it compare to an Enzo, MC F1, Zonda, etc?

The Veyron isn't a track car, it can probably produce good single lap times, but its terrible gas milage means youd have to pit after every lap at say Nurburgring.

But it is fair to compare a porsche 911 to a MX-5 as they are both sports cars? Cant there be a range of "supercars" of all different values?

Who said that an Mx5 is a sportcar? Imo its a sporty roadster, its by far to slow to be a sportscar imo.

I love the Exige as a toy, but I probably couldn't live with it as a daily drive. If you have the money though, you wouldn't be disappointed, I'm sure.

Who said that an Mx5 is a sportcar? Imo its a sporty roadster, its by far to slow to be a sportscar imo.

Until modified to 220 bhp while still tipping the scales at only 2,100 lbs. :)

As delivered the miata is clearly a sporty roadster. Supercharged and properly ventilated it can top 220 bhp and really fly.

Absolutely. Had a buddy who but a turbo Subaru engine & tranny in at Kharman Ghia body. The whole thing tipped the scales at about 1400 lbs with over 150 bhp. Sucker flew.

My CLK had 306 hp when i got it (CLK 500 but with "AMG Sports pack" meaning better brakes, tires, suspension).

Drove the thing to denmark, put a kompressor and some minor upgrades and whips, 550 hp.

I would have tuned my current car but im to afraid of whats gonna happend with its resell value if i start tampering with it.

I really hate how the marketing guys @ benz decided to spell 'kompressor'. Annoys the hell out of me for whatever reason.

As for the girly vs mens car debate it all comes down to what you drive a car for. If you've got some insecurities and you need a car to fill in the hole you'll make sure not to buy a girly car (note that this probably wont help your insecurities). If you just want RWD and 50/50 balance for the track you wont care what car it is. Seriously if I see a 40yr old in a MX5 I'm just impressed, the guy clearly doesn't give a dam what people think and just enjoys driving, which is really what it's about.

I guess with two seats, low weight and great handling I would call it a sports car. Fits the same defination of sports cars of ages past.

To me a Sportscar = quick and good handling it, doesn't need to have a huge top end speed. (Imho the MX-5 isnt the fastest of cars, but still a fast car compared to a normal saloon.)

I guess all my definitions are a bit loose =)

Just FYI - Mazdas site calls the MX-5 a sportscar roadster.

We got rid of the Z over a year ago do to financial problems, (we've paying off all our stupid accrued credit card debt for the past few years), and I had to sell my Pathfinder last year. We've been leasing a 07 Murano and I've been borrowing my Mom's husband's 2000 Suburban for the past few months to get the kids to/from school in the winter, but due to the President's $1800 bribe and a small inheritance my wife got we're able to pick up a second hand second car and return my Mom's husband's burban. (Who's kind of hinted that they want it back when school ends, and I already feel I've overly abused their kindness)

So I'm looking for a $2000-3000 used car that's fun, and it kind of hurts to know what I won't be getting for a few more years. :(

Then again, it's kind of a fun challenge to see what I can get for my budget. I used to love hunting used cars, I intend to have some fun with this one unless something stupid spoils my plan like me. (I already told my wife my cousin works at an auto auction and can find some insane bargains, so once we get the cash together we're gonna talk to him first and probably get a fantastic deal on a very boring and reliable car instead of some 1960-70's vintage muscle car convertible I can find on the cheap and work on or something. Mebbe an old Jeep or something too, that could be fun)

Good enough explanation? Sorry for the whining as we're not doing so bad, but it's cathartic for me to get it out and this is kind of my only social life. (Well, I don't really want to whine to the kids about this kind of thing and they're the only ones here besides the puppies to talk to about it)

EDITED BITS: I might have my timetables off by a year or so, my daughter looks awful young in this pict I have of our Murano when we got it and me faithful old Pathfinder:

MuranoPathfinder.jpg

I got rid of the stupid license plate holder on the front of the Murano since Indiana doesn't require front plates and it looks better without it I think.

EDITED BITS II: Damn it, still got this one on the server. Was a fun car, remind me to get my license reinstated soon.

CleanZ.jpg

My bad. Sorry.

The Murano is a sweet ride, but nothing like a Z. Maybe that 3k can find an old-but-good 240z ?

My bad. Sorry.
De nada! If it really bothered me I wouldn't have mentioned it, thanks for caring buddy. :)

The Murano is a sweet ride, but nothing like a Z. Maybe that 3k can find an old-but-good 240z ?
Yeah, I'm thinking their really are some fun possibilities. It's not like I'm doing my usual <$500 car purchase. (I have owned some SERIOUS pos beaters over the years. ;) )

Besides, the Murano is quite fun. 263hp so it ain't exactly a slouch and it does have a sporty feel to it, but I hate the freaking CVT no matter how smooth/nice it is...I'd have preferred a manual but they just don't make the SE 4x4 version with stick. (At least not that year)

It does have a drive/race shift option that is sort of fun, its meant to be used to have quicker acceleration but I use it as a downshifter and it works pretty well. ;)

3k can totally find a 2nd Generation RX7

IMGP07131.jpg

So bad ass. I love the boxy early 90s look
Yeah, something like that would be sweet....but I just gotta make sure this has a backseat is about my only real requirement. That was one thing that truly did suck about the Z.

We're still waiting to get all the legal ends cleared up before we do anything, I'm not gonna really start looking until I have a clear budget and the cash on hand to jump on any deals I find. :)

EDITED BITS: That new BMW is sweet, but it definitely needs different wheels. :???:

Back