Am I crazy? (Car Question)

That is a concern for sure, but the cars I'd really like (Exige) are too much (the S2000 is about $10k more). The MX5 has poor acceleration (0-60 is like 6.5) but its slalom ability kills many faster cars and it still gets 28 mpg. Nice combo. I suppose the best in all areas combined would be a cooper s...

Maybe I'll wait for my 45th birthday and go for a Lotus or Cayman...only 3.5 years to go...

I drove an exige S... That is the car you want if you want fun, or the atom =)

Cayman is good, but the experience of a lotus is nothing short of amazing. I couldn't stop smiling for 10 minutes after I got out.

<plunks more money away for the lotus fund>

Go for Lotus IMO, MX-5 isn't all that. In the mean time you can do karting or something to die down the fever.

Z4! if you live in the US, and can find a 07 Z4 Roadster, and a dealer willing to deal, you can easily get the price under an S2000. Plus you get 4yrs/50,000 miles all covered maintenance.

Last october I got the deal of a lifetime on a Z4M Coupe. Not economical, but it sure is fun!

So I start out thinking about a $28k USD toy and now we're talking $60-80k? GT-R - love it but $80k and, if I could afford it I'd probably look seriously at the Exige S (for speed) or the Boxster S (style). The GT-R is amazing (the Road and Track comparo with the Z06 and the 911 AWD Turbo is my referenc), but both the Exige and Boxster appeal to me more...

But $26k != $60k+

I would buy a GT-R over just about anything in the market, I would however wait for the v-spec version next year.

Will there be a manual tranny for the GT-R or just that semi-auto, dual clutch that R&T reviewed?

Semi-auto is the only way to go with the GTR. I don't think there are any downsides to using the semi-auto btw. Shift times should very comparable to manual if not faster.

I would buy a GT-R over just about anything in the market, I would however wait for the v-spec version next year.

GTR = 70k$
VSpec=120k$

Just a wee difference in price.

Mize could get a used Lotus for not to much more than 35k$ which gets 22/28mpg or something like that. =)

If he wants to keep his toy the lotus will be a much lower cost of ownership, easier to work on yourself if you like.

Dont get me wrong, I want/drool over the GTR, but the GTR is a true supercar, and a bill that goes with it. The lotus is still an everyday mans car to some extent.

(I hear that nice semi-automatic DSG gearbox costs nearly 20k, not something nice to replace if the warranty is out.)

Also to comment on the MX-5, if you look at the mazda performance site there are many enhancements you can get for your MX-5 (suspension, and some power upgrades I believe) to make it even more fun. A buddy of mine in Denmark just got the fold down hard top MX-5 with all the performance stuff and said he had no problems with getting the tail end to break free for a nice sliding corner.

<plunks more money away for the lotus fund>

GTR = 70k$
VSpec=120k$

Just a wee difference in price.
That's only a rumoured price as far as I'm aware, you probably took it from the same site I looked at when trying to find if they had announced a price for it.

Some guys best estimate hardly counts.

Looking at the specs though I imagine it will be a lot more expensive, but it will be even more desirable because of it, it's already close to perfect, with a few tweaks it will only get even closer to the mark.

That's only a rumoured price as far as I'm aware, you probably took it from the same site I looked at when trying to find if they had announced a price for it.

Some guys best estimate hardly counts.

Looking at the specs though I imagine it will be a lot more expensive, but it will be even more desirable because of it, it's already close to perfect, with a few tweaks it will only get even closer to the mark.

Sorry, I was unclear. I was meaning that either GTR was a bit out of the price that Mize was thinking.
I also should have said estimated =)
Also I have heard two different prices for the Spec V - 90k and 120k. Either is still muchos cash tho!

No its not ;)

Why isnt it?

front engine, four seats - its a saloon

ps: if you want an Atom but cant afford it, then those crazy danes have come to your rescue
the roadrazer

Last edited by a moderator:
And what is a 911 then, that has the same seating configuration as a GT-R, 2+2.

Saloons also have 4 doors.

I gotta laugh at you guys and the whole "girl's car" stuff. I suppose a Camaro or Mustang is more y'all's cup o' tea :)

Its has nothing to do with that.

MX-5, BMW Z4, Porsche Boxter, Merc SLK, all these tiny roadster are girly cars. They are girly because they come small in size, usually with rather small engines and most of the time are either driven by a girl, or some pathetic 40 year old guy who couldn't afford a proper roadster.

Im 195 cm tall, me going in and out of a tiny MX-5 looks funny. Im lean thought, its much worse for the 40 year old who has a proper beer belly.

The cars are girly imo because they are small and come with small engines, and because the people you see driving them, are either girls or old guys.

(As far as those who recommend the lotus exige, i guess since it would be his fourth car it cool, but you cannot drive that car everyday unless your a masochist.)

Back