Am I crazy? (Car Question)

A saloon that "spanks" (Road & Track's words, not mine) a Porsche 911 AWD Turbo at the track. :)

A Porsche 911 Turbo is hardly a supercar (and btw the "AWD" is reduntant as all Porsche Turbo's have AWD). Its a proper sportscar.

Porsche does have one supercar, and that one is called the Carrera GT.

Its has nothing to do with that.

MX-5, BMW Z4, Porsche Boxter, Merc SLK, all these tiny roadster are girly cars. They are girly because they come small in size, usually with rather small engines and most of the time are either driven by a girl, or some pathetic 40 year old guy who couldn't afford a proper roadster.

Im 195 cm tall, me going in and out of a tiny MX-5 looks funny. Im lean thought, its much worse for the 40 year old who has a proper beer belly.

The cars are girly imo because they are small and come with small engines, and because the people you see driving them, are either girls or old guys.

(As far as those who recommend the lotus exige, i guess since it would be his fourth car it cool, but you cannot drive that car everyday unless your a masochist.)
You guys are very hostile. Is a WRX a girly car? It has a small engine and is small in size...

front engine, four seats - its a saloon

So how do you define supercar?

What do you classify the 599GTB as?
What do you classify the porsche GT2/3/911 Turbo as?
What do you classify the F430 as?

Just curious.

I do understand the definition is very broad.

Man that roadrazer looks nice too for a track day toy. How much is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
...or some pathetic 40 year old guy who couldn't afford a proper roadster.

(As far as those who recommend the lotus exige, i guess since it would be his fourth car it cool, but you cannot drive that car everyday unless your a masochist.)

Firstly calling someone pathetic who wants a fun car on a budget is just ... well pathetic.

I might as well just call you a wuss for not being able to drive a lotus daily, which is a proper sports car.
(And really not bad to drive at all. Bad to get in and out of =) but not to drive, unless you dont like to pay attention when you drive.)

You guys are very hostile. Is a WRX a girly car? It has a small engine and is small in size...
I think a WRX is a girly car, the STI is the manly one. (guess which one I own ;) )

Anyway, joking aside, the WRX has a racing heritage and a bonnet scoop, you cannot get more manly than that.

Firstly calling someone pathetic who wants a fun car on a budget is just ... well pathetic.

There is nothing wrong with buying cars on a budget.

The pathetic part here has more to do with looks. At least in my experience, the 40 year old who buy these MX5 and whatnots usually look rather pathetic when he cruises by. Im sorry, but there is nothing cool about a 40 year old semi-fat guy driving a tiny Miata. It looks pathetic imo.

well black angus

gt
sportscar
sportscar

supercar (for 2008) 2seats mid engine 220mph+ (loosely there are exceptions to every rule)

So how do you define supercar?

What do you classify the 599GTB as?
What do you classify the porsche GT2/3/911 Turbo as?
What do you classify the F430 as?

Just curious.

I do understand the definition is very broad.

Personally, i say a supercar needs to be build stricktly for performance (no backseats) and it needs to be exclusive (small production numbers), it needs to be unique and it needs to be fast.

A 599GTB is a GT car. The Porsches you mentioned are sportscars, so is the F430.

Examples of supercars in my eyes are things like the Enzo, Zonda etc.

If you'd classify by performance only, there would be to many things that could be called "supercars". Allmost all mercedes models can now be fitted with AMG engines outputting a minimum 509hp and up to 612hp. I would never call any mercedes model as a supercar except for the SLR. They aren't special enough, even thought they are fast (if you take out the electronic speed limiter).

Supercars are special and unique, just because you make a fast car doesn't necessarily mean its a supercar.

My CLK had 550ish hp \ 1600kg. If i had bought it with AWD (not that merc coupes come with awd, but hypothetically) it would have pissed on the 997 Turbo. I never tried to drag vs a 997 turbo but i imagine AWD vs RWD would have shifted the favor to the Porsche. I would never think of the CLK as a supercar (it definately isn't imo) but if we are going by performance alone, it certainly is if you classify F430\911 Turbos as supercars aswell.

A Porsche 911 Turbo has production numbers of well over 10,000 per year and it has backseats. Not supercar material imo.

So are lambo's (Non reventon) sportcars?

I guess I would always have called all (recent) lambos supercars.

Personally, i say a supercar needs to be build stricktly for performance (no backseats) and it needs to be exclusive (small production numbers), it needs to be unique and it needs to be fast.

<Devils Advocate>
Well the GTR Spec V is rumored to remove the seats, add a rollcage. That would then (technically) fit your definition. Id bet that it may even make 220Mph =) (Maybe)
</end Devils Advocate>

Also I didnt intend to say a 911 GT2/3/turbo to be a supercar, as they are clearly sports cars. But I always thought the F430/360, Galardo, etc type of cars were supercars.
Nor did I intend to say that power = supercar, as it obvious that even a black series isn't in the same leagues with the MC F1/SLR.

To me speed and handling, coupled with low production volume are what make a supercar.

but there is nothing cool about a 40 year old semi-fat guy driving a tiny Miata. It looks pathetic imo.

It isn't about looks(cool), its about a guy having fun doing what he likes to do with what he can. I know very few people who buy a car because they look cool in it. (As opposed to the car itself looking cool). A fat 40 year old in a Lambo looks just as cool as he does in a MX-5. Both cars look cool. (Imho)

When I see a 40/50/60 year old guy in his 'Vette/S2000/MX-5/Boxter/SLK, I see someone enjoying all the hard work they have put in to be able to have something they really want.

So are lambo's (Non reventon) sportcars?

I guess I would always have called all (recent) lambos supercars.

Um.. Traditionally i would call lambo's as maniac cars as they wheren't good for anything but going very fast and getting yourself killed. Handling was never a strongsuit for lambo's back in the day. Nowadays after audi bought them they are starting to be more sensible (meaning its not gonna kill you as much) (and that the gallardo feels like a audi TT - meh)

The Gallardo i would classify as a sportcar just like a 911 Turbo and F430, they all cost the same, they are very close in terms of performance (not on a track but..) and they are all build in relatively large numbers, and simply imo aren't exclusive enough to be supercars.

The Murcielago is imo a supercar thought, allthought its a tad old and outdated compared to its competition it was very very fast when it came out, and it has low production volues and it has the supercar look :)

Also I didnt intend to say a 911 GT2/3/turbo to be a supercar, as they are clearly sports cars. But I always thought the F430/360, Galardo, etc type of cars were supercars.

Um, how can you say that a 911 GT2\3\Turbo is a sportscar and then call an F430\360 and Gallardo a supercar? The gallardo is by far the slowest one on a track, an a 911 Turbo should piss on a F430 aswell.

Entry level Ferrari's and Lambo's cannot be classified as supercars, imo to high production volumes and to bad performance puts it out of that class, aspecially not when they aren't any faster than 911 Turbos. Hell, a corvette Z06 will keep up with these cars with ease.

The supercar range imo is the very very best that some of these manufaturers make, not entry level Ferrari's..

I agree with Ostepop on the sportscar vs. supercar discussion. It's not reasonable to say that a Bugatti Veyron, Ferrari Enzo, Pagini Zonda or even McClaren F1 are comparable to a Porsche 9/11 Turbo or Ferrari 430. The Veryon in particular is just a totally different beast - reflected, if nothing else, in the price.

Im sorry, but there is nothing cool about a 40 year old semi-fat guy driving a tiny Miata. It looks pathetic imo.

As opposed to what? A Caddy? What you'll also learn is that when you're 40+ making good cash with a family you actually drive something like a Miata or Boxster for the fun of driving and not to impress some dweeb on the street.

Its has nothing to do with that.

MX-5, BMW Z4, Porsche Boxter, Merc SLK, all these tiny roadster are girly cars. They are girly because they come small in size, usually with rather small engines and most of the time are either driven by a girl, or some pathetic 40 year old guy who couldn't afford a proper roadster.

Im 195 cm tall, me going in and out of a tiny MX-5 looks funny. Im lean thought, its much worse for the 40 year old who has a proper beer belly.

The cars are girly imo because they are small and come with small engines, and because the people you see driving them, are either girls or old guys.

I think such cars are only "girly" for men who have doubts about their sexuality to be honest. If you need a penis car, then that really says more IMHO.

I think such cars are only "girly" for men who have doubts about their sexuality to be honest. If you need a penis car, then that really says more IMHO.

It has nothing to do with doubting your sexuality or not, go out to a city and take a look at whos driving a MX5 and SLK and so fourth. Atleast here in norway 8\10 of them are going to be women. Thus its a girly car, because its naturally prefered by women.

Just like a Nissan Micra convertible in pink is girly.

I think such cars are only "girly" for men who have doubts about their sexuality to be honest.

Reminds me of what my brother use to say: "If you see a bloke in a Ford Ka, you know that he is man enough"

I'm quite clearly not, I wouldn't be caught dead in one.

Cheers

It has nothing to do with doubting your sexuality or not, go out to a city and take a look at whos driving a MX5 and SLK and so fourth. Atleast here in norway 8\10 of them are going to be women. Thus its a girly car, because its naturally prefered by women.

Just like a Nissan Micra convertible in pink is girly.

But if you go to the track the most popular track car in the world - by a huge margin - is the MX5. I've driven many sports cars - even an M1 - and for $26k the MX5 is a hell of a nice driver's car. Now if I had $70k for my fourth car - which I don't - then something like a GT-R would be nice (or an exige). Sure I could cut back to two cars and afford more, but I like having a 4 passenger fuel-efficient A3, a 7-passenger CX-9 and my supercharged 4-Runner for the dogs...

I miss my 300C AWD, but it was nowhere near as fun to drive as an MX5...

So let me clarify just for my sake since I'm dense on the whole "girly car" vs. "penis car" thing:

A Cayman is a good guy car
A Boxster is a girly car

Only real diff - drop top.

Uh...okay.

Back