Am I crazy? (Car Question)

Wow, lots of ignorant posts by people who probably have never owned a MX-5/Miata.

Mize, it seems you may be the right person to own a MX-5. As you know the MX-5 absoulutely DOMINATES AutoX because it handles VERY well. Why don't Porsches dominate AutoX? Well because despite its "manly big hp" engine it's heavy and doesn't handle as well in tight AutoX courses. Maybe on a big open track a stock Porsche would be faster, but nothing a FI MX-5/Miata couldn't keep up with and still be cheaper.

Around where I live you could get a brand new 2007 MX-5 for less than $20K. Throw in some aftermarket parts like a supercharger/turbo, IHE, suspension etc., and you'd be looking at a very fast and superior handling roadster and still come out under $30K. The MX-5/Miata was inspired by the Lotus Elan. It's small and light. The small engine is more than enough for most people. If you get the newer NC model (3rd generation) it has plenty of power for the chassis, but if you long for more power superchargers are readily available as well as IHE. Also if you like working on your car the maintenance is very cheap, unlike the high dollar cars. Keep in mind that the NC from the factory come with relatively soft springs so there's going to be more body roll than you may like, but it's cheap to upgrade the springs.

I own the first generation NA (Miata) 94+ 1.8L variant which has *only* 130hp, but I've never thought that it was underpowered. Keep in mind it only weighs about 2400lbs. Pre94s have the 1.6L and only 100hp. Mine is 99% stock and I've nevered had a problem accelerating quickly to merge etc on the freeway, you just have to know when to downshift. Personally I prefer normally aspirated so IRTB is the way to go for me if I decide to add some hp. Also the sound of IRTBs is bad@ss.

http://www.fuji-racing.com/fujiracing_010.htm

Finally some advice from an actual owner of a MX-5/Miata.

Don't listen to armchair experts about cars they've never driven/owned.
Don't listen to guys who say small roadsters are girl's cars, they're insecure and need big hp cars to overcompensate.
Don't listen to grandturismo gameplaying kids who've never owned a real sportscar. Sorry but FWD Civics with fartcans aren't sportscars.

If you want informed advice about the MX-5/Miata, visit http://forum.miata.net/ You will not be dissappointed. Most forum members there will give you honest non-biased advice. Many are also VERY informed.

Don't waste your time asking for purchasing advice here.:smile:

As you know the MX-5 absoulutely DOMINATES AutoX because it handles VERY well. Why don't Porsches dominate AutoX? Well because despite its "manly big hp" engine it's heavy and doesn't handle as well in tight AutoX courses. Maybe on a big open track a stock Porsche would be faster, but nothing a FI MX-5/Miata couldn't keep up with and still be cheaper.

What is Auto X? Auto Cross? As in doing laps in parking lots with canes?

Of course an MX5 dominates there, its one of the cheapest way to get a RWD car, and its tiny and light, the average speed of such tracks are naturally limited by all the tight corners.

I own the first generation NA (Miata) 94+ 1.8L variant which has *only* 130hp, but I've never thought that it was underpowered. Keep in mind it only weighs about 2400lbs. Pre94s have the 1.6L and only 100hp. Mine is 99% stock and I've nevered had a problem accelerating quickly to merge etc on the freeway, you just have to know when to downshift. Personally I prefer normally aspirated so IRTB is the way to go for me if I decide to add some hp. Also the sound of IRTBs is bad@ss.

Are we talking about sports cars or golf carts? Problems merging onto freeways?

I agree with the spirit of your post btw, but merging problems should not be the issue when discussing sports cars :)

Which is why something with 138hp per 1000kg should not be called a sportscar ;)

So my old 2005 Chrysler 300C AWD is a sports car and a Miata is not even though the Miata would trounce it on any twisted course? Straight line acceleration does not make a sports car. A sports car is defined by handling first and power second. I'll take a 0.9g skidpad and 6.5 secdonds to 60 mph over 0.75g and 5.9 any day.

Besides, nobody drives "sports cars" the way you have to to hit those acceleration times - 5000 rpm drops are for records, not for day to day driving or else you'd buy a new clutch every two months.

FWIW, I drove the 350Z, S2000, RX-8 and MX-5.
Loved the first three, but the "smile factor per speeding ticket" was too low.

So there's a drop-top MX-5 outside today :)
I was non-committal though. I didn't buy it. I did a 24 month lease for $175/month. If I like it enough I'll buy it and put the collinsworth supercharger in it (240 bhp in a 2500# roadster isn't quite Elise ratios, but getting close). If not I'll give it back in 24 months and shop all over.

win/win :)

Incidentally, this thing is a blast to drive.

I have to remember sunscreen in the AM though :( I drove it all day Saturday and got a bit of sun. It was appropriate though - Saturday would have been my Father's 77th birthday and it was his Miata back in 1992 that first got me interested. He was a long time Porsche fanatic in the 60s but felt they went the way of the dinosaur what with becoming a prestige brand (in his day Porsches were considered pretty inexpensive). He felt the Miata was more like the Porsches he drove.

Anyway, I celebrated his birthday by finding every twisted road I could. :)

1969 Porsche 911: 177 bhp @ 2249 lbs.

1969 Lotus Elan: 118 bhp @ 1960 lbs.

2008 Lotus Elise: 189 bhp @ 1984 lbs.

2008 Miata is 166 bhp @ 2500 lbs.

Toss in that supercharger and your 240 bhp at 2550 lbs.

I guess it depends on your definition of sports car.
I dont understand what your trying to show with these historical numbers?

Yes, a porsche in 1969 had 177hp @ 2249. An average car in 1969 had what? 70hp\2000lbs?

I mean its rather obvious that the requirements for sportscar changes along with evolution. The average car in 2008 is much much much much faster than the average car in 1969.

A 997 Turbo has 500hp or so @1500kg . 10 years ago that would mean Supercar, these days it means sportscar...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you missed the Elise?
1969 Corvette made 430 hp at 3200 lbs. and the porsche was still a sports car.

The definition of sports car is subjective, but virtually every car rag, wikipedia, etc. classifies the Miata as a sports car. That is isn't one to you is fine, but you're in the minority in that opinion.

I personally don't care if it's a sports car and I don't call it one. I call it a roadster/go cart that's fun to drive through the twisty's (especially with DSC turned off).

FWIW, I drove the 350Z, S2000, RX-8 and MX-5.
Loved the first three, but the "smile factor per speeding ticket" was too low.

So there's a drop-top MX-5 outside today :)
I was non-committal though. I didn't buy it. I did a 24 month lease for $175/month. If I like it enough I'll buy it and put the collinsworth supercharger in it (240 bhp in a 2500# roadster isn't quite Elise ratios, but getting close). If not I'll give it back in 24 months and shop all over.

win/win :)

Incidentally, this thing is a blast to drive.

I wasn't disparaging it btw, just saying that worries about merging into freeway traffic should not ever be associated with anything called a sports car. I can merge into the freeway easy in most minivans :p

When I drove a rental with DSC like ability and paddle shifters I thought the DSC was quite entertaining actually on the pavement.

I think for real fun gravel roads are the best as they have that perfect slip feel at reasonable speeds. To skid beautifully around a paved corner rated at 45 mph you have to be traveling pretty fast so if it goes wrong you end up in more trouble.

I wasn't disparaging it btw, just saying that worries about merging into freeway traffic should not ever be associated with anything called a sports car. I can merge into the freeway easy in most minivans :p

When I drove a rental with DSC like ability and paddle shifters I thought the DSC was quite entertaining actually on the pavement.

I think for real fun gravel roads are the best as they have that perfect slip feel at reasonable speeds. To skid beautifully around a paved corner rated at 45 mph you have to be traveling pretty fast so if it goes wrong you end up in more trouble.

Well merging onto the freeway shouldn't be a problem with a 6.5 second 0-60. I've only taken one freeway excursion and it was just fine (except for the kidney-rattling construction zones...maybe the sports suspension was a bad idea :) j/k)

The nice thing about DSC is they really let you push right up to the limit...just when you KNOW the back end is going to drift...it doesn't...but you feel the slight pull-back on the car.

Another tidbit in the "what makes a sports car" sub-thread. Comparing the 350Z, S2000 and RX-8 was interesting. To me the S2000 is the most sports car-ish of the three, but not terribly comfortable. The Z is awesome straight ahead (C&D called it a Japanese Corvette) but a bit cheezy inside.

I, like both Car and Driver and Motortrend in "sports car" comparos though the RX-8 was the best all-around.

The RX-8 is slower off the line than a Honda Accord!

Don't disparage the Z Digi will be sad :).

Didn't know that about an accord though. I don't really care about categories. I don't really like most uber sports cars, cause they always smack their front lips into the ground when driving down a regular street or into a driveway.

The Z is awesome straight ahead (C&D called it a Japanese Corvette) but a bit cheezy inside.
I can't disagree with that, the interior wasn't spectacular. Not bad, but nothing to get excited about either.

It had good instrumentation and placement, but the dash was all plastic as was everything else. The seats were uber-comfy and adjusted well, but the fixtures were all a bit cheap. (The door handle to close the door on the passenger side kept falling off on ours and I don't think it was supposed to disconnect. :???: )

But we didn't get the Z for its interior, we got it for the ride....and in that department it gave no reasons to complain. (Well, other than all the tickets. Stupid speed limits. :rolleyes: )

This week I'm getting rid of the Suburban, next week I'll be needing a car to take the kids to swim lessons in. There's a good chance that sometime starting Thurs I might be in a panic looking for a car. :D

The Z is a GREAT car. I just like a slightly less plastic interior...A G37 would be the 350Z I'd probably go for...or that Nisamo racing version :)

There's a Bugatti supercar (Veyron 16.4) for about $1.5 MILLION that gets beaten by a Honda Civic on the Road and Track slalom course. The Bugatti has 1,001 bhp compared to the Honda's 202 bhp and does 0-60 in 2.6 seconds (compared to the Honda's 6.9 seconds).

So a non-sports car with a slow 0-60 (even slower than a Miata) BEATS a real supercar on a slalom.

Of course the Bugatti has a top speed of 253 mph (vs. 135 for the civic) definitely puts it in a different class... :)

Back