Am I crazy? (Car Question)

Mize

3dfx Fan
Legend
Seriously considering a FOURTH car...
Two are company cars (one fast and economical - Audi A3 2.0T - an one large and functional - Mazda CX-9 SUV), and the third is our private car (Toyota 4Runner with Supercharger).

For some reason I've got some virus in my brain that want a Mazda MX-5 Miata for a toy. Is this remotely justifiable? It's a two-passenger roadster convertible. Just tell me I'm crazy.

Are you a hairdresser ?
since as you say you want a toy - live a bit crazy

why not an ariel atom

or a westfield xi

Last edited by a moderator:
Two are company cars (one fast and economical - Audi A3 2.0T - an one large and functional - Mazda CX-9 SUV), and the third is our private car (Toyota 4Runner with Supercharger).

For some reason I've got some virus in my brain that want a Mazda MX-5 Miata for a toy. Is this remotely justifiable? It's a two-passenger roadster convertible. Just tell me I'm crazy.
Your crazy, if you have money to burn donate it to a worthy cause. Soup kitchens and food banks are running really low and could use any support available.

But if you do want the car, i agree with davros get an ariel atom.

My neighnour has 5 cars and 1 bike. One is the SLK and it has only 2k miles. When he has time on weekends he drive it for fun for a few hours and he says it is a great toy, not very fast but fun. It all depends on you.

Your crazy, if you have money to burn donate it to a worthy cause. Soup kitchens and food banks are running really low and could use any support available.

But if you do want the car, i agree with davros get an ariel atom.

Coming from you, epic, this is absurd. Last time I checked you don't provide health care or retirement matching to your employees. I have top notch benefits for all 40 of my staff and that comes right out of my pocked.

And what's the difference between two cars that add up to less the price of the one you were going to buy (Lexus hybrid)?

As for the car, the Miata is fun to drive - great for getaway weekend with the missus - and gets 28-30 epa highway. The Atom's a bit of a track racer, no?

Surely a Honda S2000 (if you want a hairdressers car) would be far more fun.

I have never really like MX5s (or Miata's as they are called elsewhere), they are too slow to be any sort of fun if you ask me.

Surely a Honda S2000 (if you want a hairdressers car) would be far more fun.

I have never really like MX5s (or Miata's as they are called elsewhere), they are too slow to be any sort of fun if you ask me.

That is a concern for sure, but the cars I'd really like (Exige) are too much (the S2000 is about $10k more). The MX5 has poor acceleration (0-60 is like 6.5) but its slalom ability kills many faster cars and it still gets 28 mpg. Nice combo. I suppose the best in all areas combined would be a cooper s...

Maybe I'll wait for my 45th birthday and go for a Lotus or Cayman...only 3.5 years to go...

You obviously aren't short of a few bob, so get an S2000 ;)

The VTEC engine is the stuff of legend and it will beat a MX5 in just about any test.

The mx5/miata is a nice car but as others have said it is a little bit lacking in power. If I was in your shoes I'd buy used and get a '03 350z or something for a comparable amount of money. Either that for a '94-5 NSX Hehe.

I found an '06 S2000 for $26k...hmmm.
What I really wish is that the RX-8 had a good engine - a real back seat for the kids and amazing handling. Too bad that wankle is such a wanker.

Yeah the RX8 really does not deliver. It's a shame IMO. You could always get a mid 90s RX7 though :) Plenty of power there! The third gen RX7's have been my dream cars for ages. Horribly unreliable (most of them need engine rebuilds after 100K) and not practical in the slightest but I still want one regardless. Upside is that their relatively cheap @ about 10k USD for a good condition 93 model.

btw I just finished 1984 and absolutely loved it. A little bit scary (or funny depending on how you look at it hehe) given how applicable a lot of it is to current regimes but overall a great read.

The fever has passed. The realization that I wanted something a bit "more" has made me decide to wait four years (45th). I did find that you can soup up an MX-5 rather nicely though...anyway, I'm going to wait so I have the resources to do it right.

Dont by a MX5. Get a used Porsche Boxter S if you dont mind driving a girls car. Thats roadster perfection, the handling is absolutely perfect so perfect you dont mind thats its not all that powerful (still a helluva more powerful than an Mx5).

Also, its probably one of the best investments as far as resonably new cars goes, Porsches are extremely reliable, and its the car that deflates the least in the used market.

I gotta laugh at you guys and the whole "girl's car" stuff. I suppose a Camaro or Mustang is more y'all's cup o' tea :)

Back