Alone in the Dark

A series that sadly got wrecked, as the years went by. I thought The New Nightmare from 2001 was great!

A real shame, because AITD in general is always seen as a forerunner to horror games such as Resident Evil.

Last edited:
Once the original director (Raynal) left, series started to decline. He went on to do the little big adventure series and Toy Commander. But that's not enough. He is one of the most underrated director ever. Such a waste of talent.

I really enjoyed Alone in the Dark: Jack is Back about 20 years ago. It's quite hard to come across now, but it's basically the second game on the PS1. I'd play it over and over again, and I wish the other games had gotten ports, as some CD versions on the PC had no sound at all, and you also had to use the keyboard to move about, which was so difficult.

The game begins with you walking through a hedge maze, and you eventually get into the house. I don't know if I'd call it a horror game, but I think it still technically is. Although you can use different stabbing weapons, guns, and even fight. The enemies also drop ammo, and that kind of makes sense, because some enemies use tommy guns. This was years before RE4 started being dumb with ogres giving you gold, and you know what I mean. :)

Last edited:
@Grace Saunders
I also loved the second game which I played on PC (486). I think the game could be a great basis for a remake. I really loved the settings, artstyle and music of that game (and the first game obviously).

Back