All Future Sony first-party PlayStation games coming to PC

I don't know, I haven't played the game. But if they are tiny, they'd need to be very, very numerous to start hitting the IO heavily.
I/O overheads are invariably disproportionately heavy on numerous small transfers versus fewer larger transfers. I.e, 1,000x transfers of 5mb are worse than 100x transfers of 50mb because setting up I/O generally has an overhead. This may not be as bad on PS5 but very little is known about the I/O system.

And from a dev perspective, are you going to add all that detail if it's not even noticeable? As Insomniac's first game on the platform, far more likely they are doing something somewhat conventional with the IO instead of something completely different. AFAIK the visuals aren't anything new, just the transitions between them are faster. Without evidence they are doing something different...well, that's kinda your thing. ;) Without any evidence R&C is doing anything different, and no particular logic to think Insomniac are doing anything different, there's not much of a case to say R&C will struggle on PC given what we do know.
I depends. In most games objects are made up of triangles. I am of course conjecturing about what R&C may be doing (not about triangles) but in terms of detail, if DF get their YouTube channel back have a watch of their Ratchet & Clank analysis, it has a section on the detail that goes into tiny details like spent ammunition shells from firing a weapon. It's really kind of nuts! :yes:

Is that actually true in real terms, certainly in any sizeable numbers? Given availability of parts and need to upgrade whole motherboards to take new CPUs, etc. I'm not sure that the minimum cost to upgrade from the median average PC is going to be that low. Isn't the cost of the GPU alone the cost of the whole console these days?
Used to do it towards the end of a gen - upgrade the CPU and/or GPU depending on the bang for buck…buy a 2nd hand GPU for £150 and sell the old one for £50 and you’d be surprised how good an upgrade you could get back in the old days.

I was just saying there must be others out there doing those mid upgrade kind of things rather than needing to buy a whole PC.

Edit - I should add context, I thought we were discussing the Sony statement around the PS4 pro which was (obviously) referring to previous generations (ie stopping people migrating to PC from PS3 and before that PS2). Today (for however long this scenario stays) is obviously hard to predict how things will pan out

afaik first mention about new version of this title was in geforce leak, give it little more credibillity than just placeholders, ai search etc narration
Gotcha, I thought this was a suggestion that this was a first-party Sony title.

Well, that would be a quick pass for me if I was interested in buying the game on PC. I dislike the whole partnering with one IHV and then pretending like another IHV doesn't exist. Hopefully, it's not so bad that they use driver detection to lock out one vendor's cards.

Regards,
SB

The table above is just nvidia not wanting to recommend AMD cards, pretty scummy (maybe its there but rendered in 1pt font)

its specs are according to steam

System Requirements

• Minimum:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel i5-2500k (4 core 3.3 GHz) or AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (4 core 3.1 GHz)
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 960 (4 GB) or AMD R9 290X (4 GB)
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 70 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: DirectX feature level 11_1 required

• Recommended:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel i5-6600k (4 core 3.5 GHz) or AMD Ryzen 5 2400 G (4 core 3.6 GHz)
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 1060 (6 GB) or AMD RX 570 (4 GB)
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 70 GB available space
    • Additional Notes: DirectX feature level 11_1 required

I feel gamers would really benefit from a simplified GPU comparison, like a "Level 5 graphics card". Those numbers mean nothing to me. I suppose that's what Window's PC rating number was supposed to do but no-one's adopted it.

Why?
Because it makes them look like deceptive twats
Its not like they're gonna lose any sales, by someone going, Oh shit I was about to buy a geforce but now Im gonna switch to a radeon.
Also it breeds the thought if they are openly deceptive about this, what else are deceptive with? Next time we see a nvidia graph with framerates, you can legitimately ask, Is this accurate data or is it manipulated.

Have no idea what's going on in this thread, and last few posts was kinda confusing.

But what I will say is I don't see how Nvidia not specifically highlighting AMD cards is deceptive. Unless you really think that people believe it's only playable on Nvidia?
They are highlighting their cards that are recommended, not comparisons.

This table is from NVIDIA's Geforce site! Why would NVIDIA recommend AMD cards on their own website!!!!
That makes more sense!

Oh, hang on. Going searching, it's an edited Sony slide, hence no nVidia branding. I can see why nVidia would do that, but it's not good for this discussion! In short, poor source. Original is....

GOW_PCSpecs_FINAL_1920_Web_ZrpESpF.jpg

Edit 2: I wonder if nVidia got permission to reproduce and edit Sony's copyrighted spec sheet?

Edit 2: I wonder if nVidia got permission to reproduce and edit Sony's copyrighted spec sheet?
Wouldn't be surprised if that was even supplied to Nvidia that way.
Same way consoles get the same trailer but with edited button prompts and only that platform of console listed at the end.

Don't think anyone thinks looking at what platforms a game is on from xbox trailer will thinks its deceptive for not listing PS and switch.

Why?
Because it makes them look like deceptive twats
Its not like they're gonna lose any sales, by someone going, Oh shit I was about to buy a geforce but now Im gonna switch to a radeon.
Also it breeds the thought if they are openly deceptive about this, what else are deceptive with? Next time we see a nvidia graph with framerates, you can legitimately ask, Is this accurate data or is it manipulated.
WTF are you on about? So Sony, MS, Nintendo are being "deceptive twats" when they only show their logos on multiplatform games marketing pieces? Go to any of those Youtube channels and tell me how many times a rival's logo appears on a non exclusive game trailer.

Back