Sony PlayStation cross-platform game strategy

I have a gaming pc hooked up to the tv in my den. It works perfectly fine.

So now I know one. One. :)

I too have my PC connected to both a monitor and TV (to switch between as required), but I absolutely agree with Johnny's point on preference for screen type, particularly the family element. Yes I have the PC in the lounge with it's monitor and also with a connection to the TV. But literally 99.999% of the time it is used on the monitor because situations where the whole family want to sit down and watch the PC are extremely rare. However situations where one of us wants to game while others want to use the TV are daily. For me, that is a key reason why a console is a total non-starter. But I see why people with more exclusive access to their TV would think differently.

It's also a much better gaming experience on my monitor than on my 55" OLED but hey, that's a different argument... ;)

I too have my PC connected to both a monitor and TV (to switch between as required), but I absolutely agree with Johnny's point on preference for screen type, particularly the family element. Yes I have the PC in the lounge with it's monitor and also with a connection to the TV. But literally 99.999% of the time it is used on the monitor because situations where the whole family want to sit down and watch the PC are extremely rare. However situations where one of us wants to game while others want to use the TV are daily. For me, that is a key reason why a console is a total non-starter. But I see why people with more exclusive access to their TV would think differently.

It's also a much better gaming experience on my monitor than on my 55" OLED but hey, that's a different argument... ;)
what is the difference between having a console attached to your tv and your pc? What makes one okay and the other not okay ?

what is the difference between having a console attached to your tv and your pc? What makes one okay and the other not okay ?

If I'm understanding the question correctly then I wouldn't say one is not okay. But I would say that having your games library on a single device that can use either screen is better than having two devices with two different games libraries connected to two different screens.

Not a question of "ok", but one is definitely more 'suited' to the environment, and the display devices it uses. Form factor, UI fully operable by controller, better handling of HDR, media apps (Apple TV, Amazon prime etc) that display in proper 4K.

I know the inevitable response to this is "I can control my PC fine with a controller", and as someone who's used their gaming PC hooked up to a TV for 95% of their PC gaming for the past 8+ years - no, no, no. It's "fine", but it's still far apart from the simplicity and unity of a console's controller interface.

These people obviously exist, but we're talking subsets of subsets now. First the person has to care about Sony single player games, then they need to have both a GPU and CPU that is sufficiently below PS5 spec to make it cheaper to buy a console than simply upgrade their PC, then they need to be price conscious enough to actually care about that, then they have to place sufficient value on being able to play those Sony games a year or two earlier to outweigh all the other factors that previously made them a PC gamer, not least of which would be their existing games library, and day one access to all Xbox game as well as many Nintendo exclusives through emulation.

To put some metrics around that, likely less than half of PC's in the SHS have CPU's that are not comparable to or faster than the PS5 CPU (based on core counts of 8 or above + 1/3 of 6 core CPU's).

And the cost to fully upgrade a PC with all of the components you mention above (specifically a Ryzen 5600X, RTX 4060, 32GB RAM, AM4 MB, 650W PSU) comes in at around $625. That's a premium of about $225 over PS5 digital edition which is what, the cost of 4 new PS5 games? Sure there will be people that will do it, but enough for Sony to base their entire PC release strategy around?
That was generaly an example, truth is if realy sony want to bring pc players to playstation they wouldnt release any games on pc as nintendo. They want both earn money from pc players and same time dont canibilize console market, if this is proper strat is for sure uncertein. Imo Sony was much stronger during ps4 era.

Not a question of "ok", but one is definitely more 'suited' to the environment, and the display devices it uses. Form factor, UI fully operable by controller, better handling of HDR, media apps (Apple TV, Amazon prime etc) that display in proper 4K.

I know the inevitable response to this is "I can control my PC fine with a controller", and as someone who's used their gaming PC hooked up to a TV for 95% of their PC gaming for the past 8+ years - no, no, no. It's "fine", but it's still far apart from the simplicity and unity of a console's controller interface.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment. Although I'd disagree on the handling of HDR part. With auto HDR and RTX HDR, HDR 'just works' on the PC, in pretty much every game, even games that don't natively support HDR. And in the case of RTX HDR it can even exceed some native implementations. I'd say that's a pretty big step up over the console experience where you get HDR if the developer decides to implement it, and even then, often not that well.

That was generaly an example, truth is if realy sony want to bring pc players to playstation they wouldnt release any games on pc as nintendo. They want both earn money from pc players and same time dont canibilize console market, if this is proper strat is for sure uncertein. Imo Sony was much stronger during ps4 era.

I think there's a difference with Sony and Nintendo in terms of the economics.

You can massage the message with the BOM numbers but Sony doesn't really make money on hardware, certainly not compared to Nintendo.

On the software side I'm guessing it's likely on the Playstation itself they make more from the cut of third party multiplatform sales then just off of first party titles. This creates an issue in that even if PC players say bought Playstation just for 1st party exclusives but remain buying multiplatforms on the PC do they might not be profting much more off those individuals compared to just directly selling the 1st party titles onto the PC. This would also be unlike Nintendo in that non Nintendo 1st party titles have less crossover with the PC, even if the title is mulitplatform due to the form factor difference.

I feel a large part of this is just what people are used to.

Just ancedotally in terms of the "casual" gamers I know, some are PC gamers some are console (well Playstation) gamers. People on here might not think so, but the PC ones do think the console is also too complicated, inconvenient, and unwieldy. Why are they that way? Well since I knew these people growing up it basically just matches how they played games growing up.

Since a large amount of people likely did not "grow up" with the idea of attaching a TV to a computer (as when they were growing up this night not even have been very practical from a technical stand point) it will just seem weird to them.

Another example I'm guessing you were to say go to South Korea they might have a very different impression of casual/mainstream gaming and whats easier/more convienent than say Americans.

PC gamers aren’t going to Playstation. It’s not going to happen unless GPU pricing becomes so completely untenable that buying something comparable to a console costs exorbitantly more.

I feel a large part of this is just what people are used to.

Just ancedotally in terms of the "casual" gamers I know, some are PC gamers some are console (well Playstation) gamers. People on here might not think so, but the PC ones do think the console is also too complicated, inconvenient, and unwieldy. Why are they that way? Well since I knew these people growing up it basically just matches how they played games growing up.

Since a large amount of people likely did not "grow up" with the idea of attaching a TV to a computer (as when they were growing up this night not even have been very practical from a technical stand point) it will just seem weird to them.

Another example I'm guessing you were to say go to South Korea they might have a very different impression of casual/mainstream gaming and whats easier/more convienent than say Americans.

I think people can easily adapt .

What is the real difference between hooking a ps5 up to a tv or a computer case of similar size? At the end of the day its really nothing. Not only that but something like complicated, inconvenient and unwieldly can all be mitigated or completely irrelevant.

This is a pc now

It's smaller than a ps5

It has a RTX 4070 which is faster than ps5 by large leaps
It has a intel i7 14700k which is faster than the ps5 by large leaps

You don't need a giant pc for this.

I actually have this case for my living room pc

I have a 2070 in it that my friend sold to me for cheap when he got his 4070.

My set up isn't much bigger than my xbox series x and is pretty similar in size to a ps5

When I grab a next gen gpu to replace my 3080 I will put my wifes 3070 into it

It's smaller than a ps5

It has a RTX 4070 which is faster than ps5 by large leaps
It has a intel i7 14700k which is faster than the ps5 by large leaps

It's also triple the price for the only decent config. Like come on, you didn't think to mention this was a $1500 device?!

1717348664403.png

That's the rub when you want really small form factor PC - you have to pay a premium over the already existing PC premium you have to pay even for a ATX/MATX case.

It's also a mobile 4070, with only 8GB - which means you'll need to run some games with lower texture detail already than a PS5. As being a mobile 4070, it's more like in between a desktop 4060ti and 4070 - it's severely cut down compared to a desktop 4070. Christ, you can't even upgrade the ram in the damn thing. The inflexibility of an APU without any of the advantages, great.

(Also I'm curious as to the sound levels. At a max of 223 watts I doubt it's as silent as a PS5, and the external PSU is only rated up to 230! Doesn't exactly give me confidence on the build quality of this device. Yeah, don't think I feel comfortable recommending the $1500 ThundeRobot Mix from "Weeliao" to someone who was eying just walking into a Best Buy and picking up a $450 PS5.)

I actually have this case for my living room pc

I have a 2070 in it that my friend sold to me for cheap when he got his 4070.

My set up isn't much bigger than my xbox series x and is pretty similar in size to a ps5

PC gamers really have to come to accept that the average consumer doesn't want to build their own PC, and even if so I'd hardly recommend a mini-ITX system for their first. Just the part selection alone is bewildering to newbies.

Again, people confusing "Stuff I would do" for stuff the general public wants to do in these threads. Consoles don't exist because people are just too ignorant of PC choices, they exist because most people just want to game on their TV and consoles as the quickest, most affordable and most reliable way to get that because that's what they're actually designed for and they're priced for a mass market device.

When/if we start getting powerful APU's like Strix Point (still bandwidth limited compared to a PS5 though) where the build process is literally "add your SSD" because everything is on the CPU package/motherboard, then sure - they become more viable, at least on the hardware front before you get into managing 5+ digital storefronts (that is not 'irrelevant'). That's at least something reasonable I can direct someone who just wants to get into PC gaming for their living room without seeing their eyes glaze over as I describe the various GPU flavors from a single vendor, let alone all of the other shit that basically means you become their default IT support for the lifetime of that machine.

Last edited:
I think people can easily adapt .

What is the real difference between hooking a ps5 up to a tv or a computer case of similar size? At the end of the day its really nothing. Not only that but something like complicated, inconvenient and unwieldly can all be mitigated or completely irrelevant.

Yes people can adapt but most people don't like that change and that doesn't just apply to the topic at hand. There's probably plenty of things for example you noticed your parents just did and never changed out of familiarity. And as we're getting older now if we're open to self examination we'd realize we are the same as well. For example I'm used to m/kb now due gaming choices made well over 20 years ago at this point. There's nothing objectively preventing me from picking up a controller but subjectively I just avoid them unless there's no choice regardless of the game type.

As for second paragraph that similarity is a double edged sword argument because conversely the question is if both devices are so similar why even change at all? Inertia would just favour whatever people are currently familiar with and already doing. This is also why businesses know platforms act as a very effective competitive barrier and why they want to build them.

Yes people can adapt but most people don't like that change and that doesn't just apply to the topic at hand. There's probably plenty of things for example you noticed your parents just did and never changed out of familiarity. And as we're getting older now if we're open to self examination we'd realize we are the same as well. For example I'm used to m/kb now due gaming choices made well over 20 years ago at this point. There's nothing objectively preventing me from picking up a controller but subjectively I just avoid them unless there's no choice regardless of the game type.

Right but the gaming industry is constantly welcoming new generations of gamers . So it can very well be that for the next set of gamers a console is the odd thing out while a pc in the living room isn't.
As for second paragraph that similarity is a double edged sword argument because conversely the question is if both devices are so similar why even change at all? Inertia would just favour whatever people are currently familiar with and already doing. This is also why businesses know platforms act as a very effective competitive barrier and why they want to build them.

The reason to change is scalability.

If we look at this way

2020 ps5 $400-$500
2024 PS5 pro $XXX ? $500-600 likely ?

You could have just done

Small form factor pc in 2020 and then upgraded the video card in 2024. You'd have gone from a 20x0 series to a 40x0 series. You'd actually have more flexibility because by the time the ps5 pro comes out there will be 50x0 and new amd products. So you can always be ahead of the consoles

And some coming to Nintendo Switch:

Odd omission though, XBOX isn't a target platform (yet?). Is that Sony turning the screws and wanting the console to die out completely, whereas they don't mind Nintendo?

Xbox is the direct competitor of Playstation and they release content on it with MLB because this is a licensed games and they would have lose the licence if they did not accept MLB terms same for LEGO and they added switch but not Xbox. This a cross licence game and it was probably the condition to make Lego Adventure Game happen.

Bungie wanted to continue release games on Xbox and Sony wanted to buy the studio they accepted this condition.

Right but the gaming industry is constantly welcoming new generations of gamers . So it can very well be that for the next set of gamers a console is the odd thing out while a pc in the living room isn't.

The reason to change is scalability.

If we look at this way

2020 ps5 $400-$500
2024 PS5 pro $XXX ? $500-600 likely ?

You could have just done

Small form factor pc in 2020 and then upgraded the video card in 2024. You'd have gone from a 20x0 series to a 40x0 series. You'd actually have more flexibility because by the time the ps5 pro comes out there will be 50x0 and new amd products. So you can always be ahead of the consoles
If you bought anything remotely close to PS5 or Xbox in 2020 you would have spent at least double or triple the amount.

Also an entire PS5 pro will cost less than your 2024 GPU

If you bought anything remotely close to PS5 or Xbox in 2020 you would have spent at least double or triple the amount.

Also an entire PS5 pro will cost less than your 2024 GPU
Maybe but a pc can be used for a lot more than just gaming while a ps5 can't.

Also if you you did spend double the price on a pc back then you likely will have a pc as powerful as the ps5 pro and if you spend ps5 pro pricing to upgrade your pc with an ew video card you could have better than ps5 pro performance.

Its hard to tell since it isn't out yet

The additional utility of the PC might be a potential value add for older generations (we're old) but if we are talking about onboarding newer generations it's not going to be a strong factor. Desktop PCs are well on the way out for newer generations of consumers as adding any additonal utility at home. Even the idea of a "PC" in general is shifting away from laptops somewhat to phones and tablets.

Even in the older millenial age group nowadays desktops at home are pretty specific devices. If you're looking for additional functionality then you'd need to use the cost of a gaming laptop. Gaming laptops also have their own tradeoffs and some people might prefer a smaller laptop and a separate gaming device just from a form factor stand point.

Back