Alien Isolation

And then there's of course the shadows your own body casts onto the environments which can play all sorts of tricks on your mind. That's especially true in a horror title where atmosphere is key.
That's one thing that's really missing here, and I think it would add a huge amount for the immersion and, consequently, the fear factor. Way too few games use it, but this is one that I think really needs it. Maybe they could at least address it in an interview or something.. maybe the lighting is such that the shadow was too intrusive or something, and it was removed for a logical reason.

She does seem to have a body, though. I saw legs in one of the videos. Whether they're there when the player actually looks down, though, who knows.

As for the game as a whole... I want to believe. But we've all been burned way too much on this franchise. They show us exactly what we want to see, but it's not what we end up getting. So I'll wait until user impressions come out. And not press events... those are way too limited and generally too scripted. I'll wait a week or two until after the game launches and then see what the feedback is like around the 'net.

But on the flip side, I do have to ask this: They say the game is also coming to PS360... how in the hell are they going to pull off that kind of lighting on last-gen systems?

But on the flip side, I do have to ask this: They say the game is also coming to PS360... how in the hell are they going to pull off that kind of lighting on last-gen systems?

Downgrade it slightly...it's not like PS360 doesn't have the horsepower for small confined spaces and a single enemy..

normal_aiscreenshot017.jpg

This one looks cool !

New screenshots! Are they safe to be posted here?
http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/345113-alien-isolation-reveals-all-new-screen-shots/

Alien is HUUUGE, also we have confirmed sighting of android.
Really hope that the android is randomly selected from NPCs each time the game starts, just like in the C64 game.
Would also love to see lot of other things to be selected 'randomly' in each time we start the game. (Different subsystems damaged, variations on item locations, where the alien starts etc.)

Why do the teeth have lensflare?
JJ Abrams. 'Lens flare' is added a ridiculous post effect all over the shop these days, not in any response to optical effects from direct light sources. Perhaps they should be called 'lighting smears'?

The alien looks great.

Best first person hands so far? :p Gonna need a beefy GPU to try and get rid of the aliasing in motion though.

Imagine GPU that will be needed to run this game in perfect 95hz VR mode. If its CPU bound, vast vast vast majority of PC gamers will never be able to hit that framerate. Creative Assembly did not mention Mantle support.

What part of the game so far makes you think it's CPU limited?

"Vast vast majority of PC gamers" & oculus rift don't really belong in the same sentence for some reason. :p

edit:

The sinewon the alien head is unnerving/creepy. Reminds me of some corpses I've seen.

I'm not particularly impressed with the first person hands so far.
Then again, hand deformations are incredibly hard to do right without proper simulation tools; there's very little muscle, but bones and tendons contribute a lot to the final look, and the skin has to stretch and fold everywhere. And due to the high number of possible poses (because of the large number of joints) it's also hard to do any type of pose-based fixes.

Another thing missing from the screens is the alien's saliva. It's a very memorable feature from the first movie in particular, there was a lot of behind the scenes work to get it right (including the use of a lubricant, according to the documentaries). Surprise: such fluid things are also incredibly hard to do, faking them in real-time is a considerable challenge once again.

I still think that the art direction, lighting, and shading, are of a very very high quality, the new screenshots demonstrate it very well IMHO. Quite true to the original movie's style as well, can't really understand the complaints...

Back