Alien Isolation

Discussion in 'Console Gaming' started by DieH@rd, Dec 13, 2013.

1. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

After Colonial Marines blunder committed by Gearbox and their off-sourcing team, SEGA aims to bring a little life in Alien franchise. Their internal team Creative Assembly [Total War series] was long rumored to work on a nextgen game, and that game ended up to to be Alien Isolation, FPS game set between Alien and Aliens. Main character is daughter of Ellen Rippley who has to survive in a research station that is under attack by just one alien Xenomorph.

Eurogamer confirmed that this shots are in-game:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Looks great! I have hope that CA will deliver good game. Hopefully it will be more stealth/horror than firefights against humans.

2. Gitaroo

Veteran

looks good

3. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Colonial Marines looked pretty swell up until the point where it actually came out too.

4. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Just one Xenomorph.....sounds interesting. Makes me wonder what ideas they ve got to pull this off

5. NRP

NRP
    Veteran

Agreed.

6. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Wonder what the gameplay will be.

7. gurgi

Regular

one enemy sounds like survival horror to me

puzzles, atmosphere, and survival sequences with the alien

weapons could be make-shift survival gear that slows or stuns the enemy, or boosts you somehow

there's always hope! :)

8. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

And lots of Wayland Yutani soldiers, clone soldiers, mercenaries, cyborgs, androids, etc, etc. :D

9. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

And the finest female "armour" in video game history inspired by H.R. Giger. :3

10. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

I sometimes just want to jump in Giger's mind to see how he sees the world and what he has in that crazy mind of his. Then again...I am not sure if I will return back sane. He is one of the most original and most amazing artists of our time

11. RudeCurve

Banned

Yes! So this is what SEGA has been up to...nice. Hopefully we get a new Vanquish too...:wink:

Oh and Binary Domain as well...:smile:

12. Cjail

Cjail Fool
    Veteran

Some actual gameplay commented by EG.

Flashlight doesn't cast shadows, the game is doomed :yep2:

13. Laa-Yosh

Laa-Yosh I can has custom title?
    Legend Subscriber

A very nice looking game. I wonder if they plan to have any scenes with more than 1 character though - it'd be a bit too plain to have just the one alien until the end.

Also wonder how much the lack of characters helps them with more elaborate environments and rendering fidelity. Detailed character assets can take up a lot of the various resources, but here it's the setting that has to give most of the... character to the game.

14. Cjail

Cjail Fool
    Veteran

Dev Diary.

Lack of HUD makes this game instantly appealing to me anyway ;)

15. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

I think the angle of the flashlight is fooling you. :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

----

The lighting/shadowing occlusion can look rather flat at times (e.g. 1m29s - objects in darkness lit up by flashlight). :s

16. DieH@rd

Legend Veteran

Game looks and feels to be phenomenal! Survival horror is something that perfectly fit the Alien universe [especially for game that is set before Aliens].

17. RudeCurve

Banned

That's a great Dev Diary...the camera and color grading of the diary itself even feels like the original Alien film. The game of course looks fantastic and the core gameplay change to more survival horror sounds interesting.

18. Cjail

Cjail Fool
    Veteran

@AINets
    So the game is not doomed.
    Dang I am sure though that I can find something else to complain about.
    Just give me time.
    :wink:

19. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Wait for higher quality feed I suppose. :p The darkness and compression is probably not doing wonders for subtler lighting.

The SSAO can be hard to make out too, and speaking of which, I hope the DX11-class iterations get an upgrade there. Not a big fan of the giant Dark Field Effect of SSAO, which also can be harder to notice in shadowed areas (or simply broken) without further borking the darkening scale on the whole. :(

---

Anyhoo, hope to see more... stretching things out to 10 hours is one thing, but I worry about simply environment fatigue ala Doom 3 (Alpha Labs 1...2...3...4... Delta Labs 1...2...3...4...5 >_> ). Hope they can keep it varied enough within their constraints. :???:

20. Sigfried1977

Veteran

Loving the looks of it. Not sure whether the being-stalked-by-one-enemy design can be stretched over a 10-hour period without getting dull and/or annoying though. Games like Amnesia are usualy pretty short, and older games like Clock Tower or Haunting Ground were both short and/or introduced different villains over the course of the game to maintain ones interest. Haunting Ground also had a really neat additional unique hook: it gave you the most believable AI canine ever created.

A truly singular vision like the ne in Alien Isolation works great in movies of course, but that's because it usually happens after about an hour worth of character developmet. And when it does happen, it usually lasts no more than a couple of minutes either.