Alien Isolation

Er... I don't get this comparison.

Yes, Toy Story was rendered in Pixar's Renderman. So were Jurassic Park, Star Wars prequels, Avatar, Lord of the Rings and a gazillion other movie effects shots and animated features.

Also, to me the game looks nothing like any of the Toy Story movies.

What it does seem to have is a physically correct lighting and shading model, but then again almost every game engine is already based on PBR, or is in the process of transitioning.
It also does look like Scott's original movie to a large extent.

Er... I don't get this comparison.

Yes, Toy Story was rendered in Pixar's Renderman. So were Jurassic Park, Star Wars prequels, Avatar, Lord of the Rings and a gazillion other movie effects shots and animated features.

Also, to me the game looks nothing like any of the Toy Story movies.

What it does seem to have is a physically correct lighting and shading model, but then again almost every game engine is already based on PBR, or is in the process of transitioning.
It also does look like Scott's original movie to a large extent.

I have to admit, the first thing that came to my mind when I first looked at the screens was Toy Story too. I have no idea why.
But surely it can't be because I forgot to take my pills that day.

Most likely in-game shots, I was working at tCA when it started, the tech was quite good, no clue about the gameplay though ^^

That's a great Dev Diary...the camera and color grading of the diary itself even feels like the original Alien film. The game of course looks fantastic and the core gameplay change to more survival horror sounds interesting.
If it's as good as Alien vs Predator, it could be one of the best FPSs ever. That was a masterpiece.

I got that game for free because I purchased the top of the line Sound Blaster and it was bundled with the game, and I never knew I would be in for such a treat.

The Predator campaign was fun as hell.

The Marine campaign was the most challenging, terrifying experience I have ever had on a FPS, hardly forgettable. I still remember when I saw the Alien Queen....

Its good to see everyone so gung ho about it, but i am not feeling it at all :( ! Everything looks like a fake set, not a real place to me. I hope I can shake it off, I want a good survival game too, I would even want one on Prometheus, I love it all !

I think its the lighting and material shaders. Its probably why some others got a toy story vipe from it

The original Alien film had several settings, the main ship which had several decks of which we saw mainly the living quarters and flight control. The engine deck that was only shown briefly, the storage facility, the air docks, and the emergency ship. From outside we could see some of the gigantic haul it was carrying. And we have lv426 not to be confused with lv223 from prometheus . The small moon where the original Engineer ship was crash landed, and that ship. And thousands of eggs on that ship.

Plenty to work from :)

This is funny because these visuals are very different both in artistry, and in the tech. It's very very hard to produce physically correct results and none of the TS movies were rendered that way (Monsters University was the first Pixar movie to adapt this tech). I'd go as far as to call it near impossible - after all, there was a reason for studios investing in the research and the extra computing cost of PBR.

Perhaps you guys should check out the TS movies again. The first one in particular is really starting to show signs of its age.

how does it look like a fake set? I'm genuinely curious how that could be

I think its the lighting and material shaders. Its probably why some others got a toy story vipe from it

Yup, its the shaders and the way speculars look, very spread out. everything seems to be made of the same material, the consoles, the table, the white "railings", the toy, some kind of plastic , speculars suggest toy-ish scale not real world scale. Or maybe its that the roof seems low making everything else seem huge.

Also , generally speaking, my thought of aliens is high contrast tight speculars "sweaty" lighting. The soft bloom seems to make the area almost welcoming in nature, opposite of what Film felt like.

The lighting alone makes this look so, so good. And the game sounds ace. Only one xeno in the whole game you're trying to run away from, and no weapons.
Less is more!

Has to be PBS. It looks just so damn real, and it's incredibly hard to get the contrast and the shadow detail so good without it.

The only thing I noticed which, to me, stands out like a very sore thumb, is the complete absence of Ripley's shadow. I'm hoping it will be added later, cause it does break the illusion, especially considering how everything else is lit so damn perfectly.

Well you said toy story...that's pretty high up there in rendering tech even today
TS looks like arse relative to modern standards. The materials and lighting are extremely flat. Apart from incredible IQ and animation, it doesn't hold a candle to any present renderer. We could certainly get TS level graphics in a game now probably wiht the same sort of IQ, but it'd look terribly against the new lighting and shading models.

Has to be PBS. It looks just so damn real, and it's incredibly hard to get the contrast and the shadow detail so good without it.
Public Broadcasting for the win! ... no?

Shading looks really nice... wonder about physically based. There's some sort of GI/radiosity in there too.
Shading around the table looks very good. Other aspects, not so much IMO. And the light aliasing (shadows and thin edges) is really jarring. The creeping, crawling jaggies really break the look for me. I'm turning into a PC graphics whore elitest, only without the elite PC gaming rig and little interest in owning one. :p

Shading around the table looks very good. Other aspects, not so much IMO. And the light aliasing (shadows and thin edges) is really jarring. The creeping, crawling jaggies really break the look for me. I'm turning into a PC graphics whore elitest, only without the elite PC gaming rig and little interest in owning one. :p

I assume it's (last gen) console footage, so the rest is a non-issue for PC. ;)

----

The only thing I noticed which, to me, stands out like a very sore thumb, is the complete absence of Ripley's shadow. I'm hoping it will be added later, cause it does break the illusion, especially considering how everything else is lit so damn perfectly.

Yeah... that bugs me too. The light just... goes through you. Maybe it's a statement that Ripley Jr. isn't real! ;)

Back