Advanced Audio Technologies (HRTF, Dolby Atmos, etc) *echo*

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by Cyan, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Cyan

Cyan orange
    Legend Veteran

That's excellent news, hopefully we can tell us how well it works. I have a good sense of hearing and sound is really important for me.

I can hear this sound, for instance, which only people with good hearing can actually hear.

2. milk

Veteran Regular

Are you kidding me? I can hear that with my eyes closed!

London-boy, Arwin, tabs and 2 others like this.
  3. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Ummmm, if someone can't hear that, holy hell. That was the most annoying sound I've listened to in years.

Regards,
    SB

Scott_Arm likes this.
  4. Scott_Arm

Legend

My hearing isn't exactly world class, and that sound was easy to hear. I've punished my ears at concerts, far more than the average person.

5. Shifty Geezer

Shifty Geezer uber-Troll!
    Moderator Legend

Yeah, that's well within hearing range of the typical adult. I have played with tone generators on a mobile and found kids can hear frequencies lost to me which, though I know it happens, still was a bit of a revelation. Also means you can bug them with a high frequency pitch without being bothered yourself. :twisted:

It's not so much frequency range but all round sensitivity that matters. The worst, paralleling the above, is when you have electrical equipment with a whine. But quiet everything down enough and you end up hearing your own tinnitus anyway. :-|

6. rabidrabbit

rabidrabbit A Reformed Member
    Legend Veteran

I'm over 40 and could hear that no problem, but Atmos and DTS-X are more about ability to sense the direction of sound, not loudness and frequency.
    I'm not totally sold on the extra height speakers myself.
    I haven't had the chance to listen to a proper Atmos od DTS-X setup, only hava e Dolby PLII-x/Audyssey DSX at home and really haven't been able to hear much difference.
    I know it's a matrixed solution and not really on par with a proper discrete height channel mix, and my height speakers are some small Orb speakers not totally suited for the job. I'm just not that sure for many non-enthusiasts' Atmos or DTS-X is that important, and if you're serious with the h-t hobby it's probable you already have a dedicated 4K Blu-ray player that has Atmos And DTS-X decoding anyway. Setting up those at least two extra speakers so that they integrate well in the room is not that easy.

7. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

Yer a wizzard Cyan!!!

London-boy, AzBat and milk like this.
  8. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

It's an enthusiast format really. Most people running sound bars and even most HTIB's wouldn't benefit from TrueHD and DTS-MA vs regular DD and DTS. That's without taking into account any room correction or audio calibration.

9. Scott_Arm

Legend

My theory is that enthusiasts won't benefit from it either, they'll just convince themselves that they have after they've sunk a whole bunch of money into it.

Gubbi, milk and BRiT like this.
  10. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

I guess you're one of the lucky ones who hasn't heard me over the microphone. :shocked:

Can't we settle this like real gamers over some Halo 3 Capture The Flag on Sandbox?

Silent_Buddha likes this.
  11. mrcorbo

mrcorbo Foo Fighter
    Veteran

I just bought a new (actually it technically is a refurb) receiver, since I needed to upgrade to pass 4K and HDR anyway, and sprung for the Atmos height speakers also. It's quite easy for me to A/B TrueHD to Atmos on my HTPC by turning bitstreaming on and off and I can tell you definitively that there is a difference. The effect is not at all subtle, at least not when playing back an Atmos-mixed soundtrack. I'm not sure that I'm sold on the effectiveness of Dolby's upmixer yet and I haven't had a chance to try DTS's Neural:X upmixer as Denon haven't released the firmware update to enable DTS:X yet, though, so there's an argument to be made about lack of native content making it not worthwhile *right now*.

BRiT likes this.
  12. NRP

NRP
    Veteran

Whether he realizes it or not, Scott needs positional audio. Gotta know where that BF Vietnam tank blasting "Fortunate Son" is coming from.

Scott_Arm, BRiT and AlBran like this.
  13. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

Not with 343 massacring Halo: MCC. Plus I don't have 2TB of free space for all the patches :(

NRP likes this.
  14. RobertR1

RobertR1 Pro
    Legend

lol! The BF Xbox Live days were awesome. As long as Scott was in a tank and not on foot....Otherwise it was a game of Saving Private Zunder...

Scott_Arm, NRP and AlBran like this.
  15. AlBran

AlBran Ferro-Fibrous
    Moderator Legend

That might have saved homerdog that one time.

Scott_Arm likes this.
  16. Scott_Arm

Legend

Positional audio for stereo headphones is a lot more interesting to me, than a setup that requires special atmos speakers with top-firing drivers, or mounting speakers on my ceiling.

17. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

How does that work? Did it see its way on consumer goods?
    I remember a sound file once demonstrating the ability to give a surround sound impression through stereo and it was awesome. Perhaps for technical reasons or to protect the market of home theaters is the reason?

18. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend

19. Nesh

Nesh Double Agent
    Legend

Why arent they using this technique in more media? It is impressive

20. Shifty Geezer

Moderator Legend