Advanced Audio Technologies (HRTF, Dolby Atmos, etc) *echo*

My hearing isn't exactly world class, and that sound was easy to hear. I've punished my ears at concerts, far more than the average person.

Yeah, that's well within hearing range of the typical adult. I have played with tone generators on a mobile and found kids can hear frequencies lost to me which, though I know it happens, still was a bit of a revelation. Also means you can bug them with a high frequency pitch without being bothered yourself. :devilish:

It's not so much frequency range but all round sensitivity that matters. The worst, paralleling the above, is when you have electrical equipment with a whine. But quiet everything down enough and you end up hearing your own tinnitus anyway. :-|

I'm over 40 and could hear that no problem, but Atmos and DTS-X are more about ability to sense the direction of sound, not loudness and frequency.
I'm not totally sold on the extra height speakers myself.
I haven't had the chance to listen to a proper Atmos od DTS-X setup, only hava e Dolby PLII-x/Audyssey DSX at home and really haven't been able to hear much difference.
I know it's a matrixed solution and not really on par with a proper discrete height channel mix, and my height speakers are some small Orb speakers not totally suited for the job. I'm just not that sure for many non-enthusiasts' Atmos or DTS-X is that important, and if you're serious with the h-t hobby it's probable you already have a dedicated 4K Blu-ray player that has Atmos And DTS-X decoding anyway. Setting up those at least two extra speakers so that they integrate well in the room is not that easy.

I'm over 40 and could hear that no problem, but Atmos and DTS-X are more about ability to sense the direction of sound, not loudness and frequency.
I'm not totally sold on the extra height speakers myself.
I haven't had the chance to listen to a proper Atmos od DTS-X setup, only hava e Dolby PLII-x/Audyssey DSX at home and really haven't been able to hear much difference.
I know it's a matrixed solution and not really on par with a proper discrete height channel mix, and my height speakers are some small Orb speakers not totally suited for the job. I'm just not that sure for many non-enthusiasts' Atmos or DTS-X is that important, and if you're serious with the h-t hobby it's probable you already have a dedicated 4K Blu-ray player that has Atmos And DTS-X decoding anyway. Setting up those at least two extra speakers so that they integrate well in the room is not that easy.

It's an enthusiast format really. Most people running sound bars and even most HTIB's wouldn't benefit from TrueHD and DTS-MA vs regular DD and DTS. That's without taking into account any room correction or audio calibration.

It's an enthusiast format really. Most people running sound bars and even most HTIB's wouldn't benefit from TrueHD and DTS-MA vs regular DD and DTS. That's without taking into account any room correction or audio calibration.

My theory is that enthusiasts won't benefit from it either, they'll just convince themselves that they have after they've sunk a whole bunch of money into it.

Ummmm, if someone can't hear that, holy hell. That was the most annoying sound I've listened to in years.

Regards,
SB
I guess you're one of the lucky ones who hasn't heard me over the microphone. :oops:

I want you to know i accidentally liked your comment only to unlike it again.

Dislike is how I'd rate your comment, Scott.
My theory is that enthusiasts won't benefit from it either, they'll just convince themselves that they have after they've sunk a whole bunch of money into it.

Can't we settle this like real gamers over some Halo 3 Capture The Flag on Sandbox?

I just bought a new (actually it technically is a refurb) receiver, since I needed to upgrade to pass 4K and HDR anyway, and sprung for the Atmos height speakers also. It's quite easy for me to A/B TrueHD to Atmos on my HTPC by turning bitstreaming on and off and I can tell you definitively that there is a difference. The effect is not at all subtle, at least not when playing back an Atmos-mixed soundtrack. I'm not sure that I'm sold on the effectiveness of Dolby's upmixer yet and I haven't had a chance to try DTS's Neural:X upmixer as Denon haven't released the firmware update to enable DTS:X yet, though, so there's an argument to be made about lack of native content making it not worthwhile *right now*.

Whether he realizes it or not, Scott needs positional audio. Gotta know where that BF Vietnam tank blasting "Fortunate Son" is coming from.

Positional audio for stereo headphones is a lot more interesting to me, than a setup that requires special atmos speakers with top-firing drivers, or mounting speakers on my ceiling.

Positional audio for stereo headphones is a lot more interesting to me, than a setup that requires special atmos speakers with top-firing drivers, or mounting speakers on my ceiling.
How does that work? Did it see its way on consumer goods?
I remember a sound file once demonstrating the ability to give a surround sound impression through stereo and it was awesome. Perhaps for technical reasons or to protect the market of home theaters is the reason?

Back