ACPI causing my graphic glitches?

Zarich

Newcomer
Visiontek is saying my ti500 cannot share irqs.

They are saying that my grey box graphical problem (see my help post below) is caused by the sharing of all resources on irq 9.

I thought that was suppose to happen in xp??
how could that be causing my grey boxes?
How can I fix this?

Graphics cards should NOT share IRQs.

If it is, then you gotta fix it. I suggest you check your motherboard manual, sounds like you're using one of the shared slots. The shared slot is usually the PCI slot right under the AGP card, if that one is being used, trying moving the card. But check your manual first, sometimes the sharing is done between PCI slots and not PCI and AGP.

the slot below my agp is empty
Im not sure why the agp would be shared.

is there a way to turn off sharing for the agp?

Saem said:
Graphics cards should NOT share IRQs.

If it is, then you gotta fix it. I suggest you check your motherboard manual, sounds like you're using one of the shared slots. The shared slot is usually the PCI slot right under the AGP card, if that one is being used, trying moving the card. But check your manual first, sometimes the sharing is done between PCI slots and not PCI and AGP.

No thats only true on a non-acpi compliant system. Windows 95 and and 98 can't share IQs very well but Windows XP can.
ACPI compiant motherboards and operating systems (Windows 2000 with all Service Packs and Windows XP).
Windows XP and 2000 uses what they refer to as virtual IRQ's, disabling ACPI on Windows 2000 and XP can be done by reinstalling windows and Press F5 on initial Setup screen, i.e as soon as it goes blue.
You then have the Kernel Selection screen.
Select the required kernel type without ACPI.
You may need to disable ACPI in bios for the install to work.
Windows XP is similar hold down the f5 button when the computer asks you to push f6 (for scsi raid
controllers and so on). this gives you the possibility to install a
"standard pc" without acpi.
Disabling ACPI cripples XP and 2000 but for some reason some people seem to have to do it.
Myself I have two devices on IRQ 11 on this server even though my Radeon 8500 is sitting bt itself and PCI slot 1 is empty, WINXP put my SCSII controller and 8500 on 11 and Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, NIC card and USB on IRQ 5. This server runs 24/7.
The only key point is a hardware config error, never put a PCI card in PC! slot 1 unless its bussmastered..even then avoid it at all costs.

thanks for clearing that up doom

I talked to visiontek on the phone and they conceded that it isnt the problem.. sounds like I have a corrupt video bios (sending me a new one to flash) or a corrupt memory chip on the card (they will replace it if necessary)

[quote="Doomtrooper No thats only true on a non-acpi compliant system. Windows 95 and and 98 can't share IQs very well but Windows XP can.
ACPI compiant motherboards and operating systems (Windows 2000 with all Service Packs and Windows XP).
Windows XP and 2000 uses what they refer to as virtual IRQ's, disabling ACPI on Windows 2000 and XP can be done by reinstalling windows and Press F5 on initial Setup screen, i.e as soon as it goes blue.
You then have the Kernel Selection screen.
Select the required kernel type without ACPI.
You may need to disable ACPI in bios for the install to work.
Windows XP is similar hold down the f5 button when the computer asks you to push f6 (for scsi raid
controllers and so on). this gives you the possibility to install a
"standard pc" without acpi.
Disabling ACPI cripples XP and 2000 but for some reason some people seem to have to do it.
Myself I have two devices on IRQ 11 on this server even though my Radeon 8500 is sitting bt itself and PCI slot 1 is empty, WINXP put my SCSII controller and 8500 on 11 and Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, NIC card and USB on IRQ 5. This server runs 24/7.
The only key point is a hardware config error, never put a PCI card in PC! slot 1 unless its bussmastered..even then avoid it at all costs.[/quote]

You do NOT have to do a reinstall on XP in order to uninstall or reinstall (if you've switched away from it and want to put it back on) ACPI. This is true for Win2K, but not for XP. In XP you can go to Device Manager, Computer, and you will see a listing for ACPI. Then chose Update Driver, select manual, and install the Standard PC driver. The only caveat is that when you reboot XP will reinstall all your device drivers, so make sure they are available and you know where they are to point at them if necessary.

Back