Apple makes some nice stuffs... Battery charger review inside!

Grall

Invisible Member
Legend
I had a GP Power Bank (might be known under a different name outside Europe, I dunno) charger a couple years back, but it was kind of crap really, it was physically a quite large and heavy lump of plastic to have sticking out of a wall socket, so large in fact it interfered with any adjacent power plug, and it would jiggle due to the heavy ring transformer integrated into its base whenever inserted into a receptacle.

It also developed a poor contact glitch, forcing me to twiddle the batteries back and forth before charging would kick in, and GP batteries, while quite powerful, had a huge self-discharge rate too, causing 'em go flat virtually in a month of lying on a shelf without constant trickle-charging.

So I got rid of that old thing.

Now... Enter Apple.

I know some people just hate their stuff, it's over-expensive, the design is pompously arrogant in their eyes (or maybe it's Steve Jobs that's pompously arrogant)...this, or that... Anyway: this is just a battery charger. No reason to get anyone's panties in a bind over that is there! (No sexist or other form of disrespect intended by that remark...just a commonly-used English language idiom.)

It comes in one of those small, minimalist white Apple cardboard boxes, inside there's total of six 1900mAh NiMH batteries (alledgedly re-badged Sanyo Eneloops with ultra-low - for NiMH anyway - self-discharge rate), a tiny manual in roughly 12 languages telling you a lot more than you really need to know, the charger itself wrapped in that plastic foil wrap which is useless because it fills no practical function (it protects the item from attracting finger prints, but since the underpaid Chinese worker who put it in the box was wearing gloves there won't be any, and you can't use the damn thing without removing the foil, so then there WILL be fingerprints), but Apple loves the stuff because it makes their products look and feel more luxurious.

There's also a two-prong power plug adapter like that included with a Macbook charger, so in theory you could attach an Apple Powerbook extension cord to it - which would be a bit nuts because the cord weigs like 4x as much as the charger - to maybe bring the charger with you to bed, or into the shower or something*...? No, the official reason is so you can attach some kind of travel multi-plug thing, which would be convenient because the charger is universal; 100-240V, 50/60Hz capable.

This thing really is tiny. It's actually slimmer than two AAs standing side-to side, and only a little deeper than two AA-widths deep and a tad over one AA high, and glossy-white of course. Charging status is indicated by a single dual-color LED on top; amber for charging and green for full charge. If it flashes at you it means it's about to explode and kill you...or was that the Aperture Labs battery charger? ;)

Due to its small size it only accepts two batteries at a time (you can also charge just 1 if so inclined), so it's mostly suited for stuff like wireless mice and keyboards and the like which is what it was designed for and what I intend to use it for, as opposed to maintaining the small army of batteries needed for say, head/tail lights for an entire family's worth of bicycles. One full charge takes about 5 hours according to the manual. Honestly I haven't timed the process so I dunno how accurate that is.

The inside of the battery slots is made of a matte, light-grey plastic that seamlessly joins with the white outer casing; there's not a single screw to be found here. I suspect the whole thing's welded together with ultrasound or somesuch during production if it isn't a solid lump of two-stage injection-molded plastic, so if it breaks it'll stay broken forever. No way to even try to fix it I suspect.

What I find really cool - and a nice little touch from Apple designers - is the fairly strong magnet located at the top of the battery slots, guiding you to insert the batteries correctly. The grey plastic insert is keyed at the positive terminal so that it's impossible to charge the battery inserted incorrectly; the battery won't form an electric circuit (and thus EXPLODE!) if inserted upside-down.
To do it correctly, you put in the batteries positive terminal first so the positive cap at the top fits into the keyed hole (which is where the magnet comes in), and then you push in the battery so that the spring-loaded hemispherical metal negative terminal connector clamps on to the battery and holds it fast. This is possibly helpful for vision-impaired people who can't read the silk-screened graphic showing the correct battery polarity? I dunno, maybe I overinterpret. In any case it's very slick and shows attention to detail above and beyond any other simple battery charger.

I also can't help but noticing that during charging the only thing that gets warm are the batteries. The charger itself is apparantly extremely efficient and doesn't heat up at all from what I can tell, at least by merely using my hand. Apple also boasts the vampiric loss from trickle-charging is very low, and I'm inclined to believe that. Hence, it should be kind to your power bill, and thus also be environmentally friendly, and make Greenpeace and the polar bears happy. Whatever. :)

Conclusion:

I paid SKR 299 for this thing - about US$45 at today's almost historically crap dollar exchange rate so it's not an accurate comparison, but it's not expensive by any means; about half of a standard-price PS3 game. What I got for my money is a pretty, physically tiny, very efficient charger, six batteries as mentioned of very high quality (most likely well higher than standard GP fare), and the interchangeable power plug attachment which adds flexibility. I'm sure I could have gotten away a bit cheaper with another GP charger, but I don't think it would have looked nearly as nice or been anywhere as well designed, or put together. I'm quite satisfied with my purchase I must say.

*=
Please don't bring your charger with you into the shower...if for no other reason than because Steve Jobs would get mad at you for pointlessly destroying one of his perfectly good battery chargers!

TL: DR? I don't care! I love to type!

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you by any chance a member of the Amazon Vine program?:LOL:

Anyway Amazon sells the Apple charger/battery pack for $20 which is very reasonable for an Apple branded product. If only their USB cables were as reasonably priced:rolleyes:

My main AA/AAA charger is the SONY BCG-34HRMF4. It has a built-in LCD display that shows charge level for each battery. It also has auto discharge/refresh capability function that you can activate by pushing a button.

I don't think Amazon has any programs like that available in Europe, you can get free shipping if you live in the UK, but that's about it I think... Anyway, my price includes 25% sales tax, Amazon doesn't charge any tax in most states in the US (and prices are just generally lower because apparantly we Euros subsidy your consuming habits/companies stiff us because they know we're used to paying more, due to our high sales taxes so they slap on a bit extra profit just for shits and giggles...)

Wow... Didn't even notice. Well, that's what you get for sitting up and posting at 2AM. :LOL:

Does the charger have a fan to cool batteries? Or does it only charge them at such a slow rate that it doesn't need one? It sounds like junk.

Ah I found a picture. Yes it is definitely an overpriced piece of junk. Vampire and trickle charge are not the same thing. Usually it refers to power use while plugged in doing nothing. So how much power does it use when you take batteries out and leave it plugged into the wall.

Faster rate chargers that detect the voltage to determine when to stop charging and include a fan are tons better. The fan keeps batteries cool so they don't wear out and you don't have to wait an eternity to charge. If the charger doesn't monitor individual batteries then it is a trash charger. Good chargers can also tell you when a battery goes bad which is useful.

Vampire and trickle charge are not the same thing. Usually it refers to power use while plugged in doing nothing. So how much power does it use when you take batteries out and leave it plugged into the wall.

Heh, so 'vampire loss' actually is a real term used by somebody. I'm really beginning to feel old now. I thought terms like quiescent current and parasitic losses - heck, even phantom losses - were still in use nowadays. Damn those teenager TV shows and their hot vampires, and damn Billy Zane for his role in Phantom.

So how much power does it use when you take batteries out and leave it plugged into the wall.

Don't you usually take out and put in batteries to these type of things when holding the whole unit in your hand? It would seem pretty daft behaviour to remove the batteries while holding it in your hand and then plug in the empty device back to wall socket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Heh, so 'vampire loss' actually is a real term used by somebody. I'm really beginning to feel old now. I thought terms like quiescent current and parasitic losses - heck, even phantom losses - were still in use nowadays. Damn those teenager TV shows and their hot vampires, and damn Billy Zane for his role in Phantom.

Don't you usually take out and put in batteries to these type of things when holding the whole unit in your hand? It would seem pretty daft behaviour to remove the batteries while holding it in your hand and then plug in the empty device back to wall socket.

Yeah which is why it is a stupid thing to be excited about. However on the type of chargers that have a cord, adapter, charger then people often do leave them plugged in. Many people prefer that kind as well b/c you can put the charger on a shelf or something instead of having it directly in the outlet.

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gadgets/other-gadgets/vampire-power.htm

Ah I found a picture. Yes it is definitely an overpriced piece of junk.
Well I beg to differ. I dunno what kind of useage you have with regards for AA batteries, but this thing's intended to keep like a mouse and a keyboard up and running (mouse and a wiimote in my case), and you simply don't need 15 mins fan-cooled fast-charging for that. Different tools for different uses, you know?

If you're into RC racing or whatever and eat AAs for breakfast, by all means get a nitro-injecting charger, but for me such a thing would be utter overkill which is why I didn't buy one. It would also have been too big to toss in my laptop bag to bring along on a trip, while this charger's perfectly suited for that. It barely weighs anything and hardly takes up any space at all. Again, different strokes, et cetera.

Vampire and trickle charge are not the same thing. Usually it refers to power use while plugged in doing nothing.
You're going to have losses even while trickle-charging, so a high efficiency charger is still beneficient.

Well I beg to differ. I dunno what kind of useage you have with regards for AA batteries, but this thing's intended to keep like a mouse and a keyboard up and running (mouse and a wiimote in my case), and you simply don't need 15 mins fan-cooled fast-charging for that. Different tools for different uses, you know?

If you're into RC racing or whatever and eat AAs for breakfast, by all means get a nitro-injecting charger, but for me such a thing would be utter overkill which is why I didn't buy one. It would also have been too big to toss in my laptop bag to bring along on a trip, while this charger's perfectly suited for that. It barely weighs anything and hardly takes up any space at all. Again, different strokes, et cetera.

Fine, but what exactly are you paying a premium for then? Sanyo makes the same basic thing for less money. The point is if a charger doesn't monitor the cells then it really isn't that great a charger. Most chargers are trash. They are disposable items that come with a set of batteries now, instead of something you keep and just buy batteries for. My favorite charger is a 30 min fan cooled one that monitors the cells, but I can't find them anymore. Sorry I should not have rained on your parade carry on.

Fine, but what exactly are you paying a premium for then?
Premium? Wow, you make it sound like it's a huuuge amount of money! It's a trivial sum, and to be quite honest with you, even if the diff was SKR100 (which I know it wouldn't be), the Apple styling and build quality would be worth it in my opinion.

Sanyo makes the same basic thing for less money.
Which I'll buy where, exactly...? It's not available in any of the stores I know of, and I'm bloody well not going to hunt around for it for what amounts to at best a minimal cost saving. It's not friggin' worth the effort to walk my legs off, or waiting a week for it to arrive if I was to order it over the internet. This thing, I went into the shop, I walked out with the charger. Done. No fuss, no faffing.

The point is if a charger doesn't monitor the cells then it really isn't that great a charger.
Yeah, but A: how do you know it doesn't monitor the cells, and B: do you really need cell monitoring in a charger that you use once a month at most? NiMH cells are good for many hundred cycles, these, seeing as they're high quality units, probably over a thousand (Sanyo claims 1500 for the Eneloop, if that's what these in fact are). There's three pairs of cells in the box, I'll leave it up to you as a mental exercise to figure out how many hundred years it would take to wear them all down at the above mentioned rate. :LOL:

Seriously, I think I'll have bought a new, even better charger, with another set of cells included before that happens... (I'd be dead in fact, heh.)

Sorry I should not have rained on your parade carry on.
Haha! No, I enjoy the banter... It's refreshing! :D

rechargeable_20100727.jpg

Are we talking about something like this Mr Grall? I swear you owe me a big rant after this!

OWE you? After that giant first post?! The nerve! :LOL:

And yes, that's the charger you linked a picture of.

The manual says ~5 hours like I mentioned in the review, but I haven't checked. I've just plugged in the batteries and gone about my business, then put in another set when I came back and saw the first was done...

It's not a fast-charger for sure, but due to its low parasitic/vampiric/whatever power draw you're intended to keep a set of batteries on hot standby in it at all times so it doesn't really matter unless you eat through your batteries faster than it can charge them...and then you shouldn't get this charger obviously. :)

For me it's ideal, I only need it for my wiimote and my Magic Mouse, and that's it, so I'm happy. If I was to say, start loading up my SLR camera with NiMH rechargeables (it takes 4 AAs), it would get bothersome to have to wait half a day to charge a full set for the camera, but I hardly use my SLR so I manage fine with lithium camera batteries for it.

Back