Accurate Human Rendering in Game [2019-2021]

I literally, never, ever in 1 million years would have guessed the entire freaking presentation was not real. This is beyond the pale. Incredible rendering and performance.
That's because it's almost all real. The CG kitchen and CG Huang were only used for the Grace reveal. Real Huang with a real kitchen that is replaced by a CG kitchen that breaks apart to reveal a holodeck, with a CG Huang and CG product (Grace). The CG Huang looks pretty gamey, and his lips don't quite sync. Happens about 1 hour 2 minutes into the presentation. Pay attention to the background. When Huang says "Here it is", there is a long white plate near his stove in the background with a pepper grinder to it's right. An audio cue hits while the real Huang warps out and the background is replaced with the CG one. That dish that was empty now has a Lego Jensen Huang in it and the pepper grinder is gone.

https://www.fxguide.com/fxfeatured/the-matrix-is-unreal/

02_cinematic-copy.jpg

02_digital_human-copy.jpg

I have to say, realtime demo on PS5 was mighty impressive.

edit-
"Even the desk scene at the beginning when Anderson is asleep was a real-time recreation of a scene from the original film."

wowza!

Last edited:
https://www.fxguide.com/fxfeatured/the-matrix-is-unreal/

02_cinematic-copy.jpg

02_digital_human-copy.jpg

I have to say, realtime demo on PS5 was mighty impressive.

edit-
"Even the desk scene at the beginning when Anderson is asleep was a real-time recreation of a scene from the original film."

wowza!
What I am curious is if the Keanu in the mirror with the blue shirt was real time. He looked so freakin good and his expression so realistic that I thought his reflection was not real time. It was the real Keanu. Or was it?

Real keanu is at the begnining of his speech, then switches to real time 3d keanu when he is standing between morpheus and young neo. Then the reflection in the mirror of keanu in smoking is video too.

What's the strange artifacting on the ears? Lensing artifact or some sort.

I think the light is too bright and looks like there is some sort of empty space, also the ear textures imo do not scatter the light that good. So there is these contrast between super bright hair and a somewhat opaque ear.

edit: the eyes too, all the area around the eyes look a bit flat when she looks straight at the camera and gives this wierd impression. At least to me.

Based on those 2 video examples
Ziva vs metahuman I would say thats a rare victory for Unity
bringing the score to
unity 3 - unreal 17

Based on those 2 video examples
Ziva vs metahuman I would say thats a rare victory for Unity
bringing the score to
unity 3 - unreal 17

Well, I'm not so sure Unity should have the point. The demos Ziva showed using UE prior to the buyout looked a little better...

Impressive stuff. Possibly just the eyes and slightly plasticy skin that just breaks the illusion for me.

Will we see models like this, close up with full dynamic backgrounds etc in games on current gen, rather than just being demos?
How many models like this, relatively near distance, could be supported on screen in game whilst keeping fluid?

Also, I find it interesting if life-like models such as these (or fully indistinguishable) were placed in a combat game, would anyone start to feel empathy towards them and actually hesitate before 'attacking' them and change their approach?

I'm really intrigued with life like simulation and how it will affect us emotionally in a 'game', I don't think people fully appreciate how much of a shift that will be until it happens.

Impressive stuff. Possibly just the eyes and slightly plasticy skin that just breaks the illusion for me.

Will we see models like this, close up with full dynamic backgrounds etc in games on current gen, rather than just being demos?
How many models like this, relatively near distance, could be supported on screen in game whilst keeping fluid?

Also, I find it interesting if life-like models such as these (or fully indistinguishable) were placed in a combat game, would anyone start to feel empathy towards them and actually hesitate before 'attacking' them and change their approach?

I'm really intrigued with life like simulation and how it will affect us emotionally in a 'game', I don't think people fully appreciate how much of a shift that will be until it happens.

The three main characters in the matrix demo are at that level, even during gameplay for the controlable character, and in a big open world. so this LoD for mains characters in game are fully achievable.

check also hellblade 2 last gameplay demo.

The three main characters in the matrix demo are at that level, even during gameplay for the controlable character, and in a big open world. so this LoD for mains characters in game are fully achievable.

check also hellblade 2 last gameplay demo.

There's a caveat there, in that the three in the car are using extra ray tracing for shadows. It obviously makes them look much better than the pedestrians that are milling about later in the demo.

Back