Accurate Human Rendering in Game [2019-2021]

Looks better than the Unreal singing guy, with him the mouth aint matching whats he's singing

I'm wondering if the above & the ziva are both heavily motion captured and the metahumans singing guy is just the animator or the software attempting to match the mouth to the words, hence thats why it looks off and a large reason you instantly see its CGI. If so its impressive but still doesnt look as natural as using captured data, in that detroit singing it looks like there are tiny vibrations in the persons face/lips (how did they capture the tongue?)

Looks better than the Unreal singing guy, with him the mouth aint matching whats he's singing

I'm wondering if the above & the ziva are both heavily motion captured and the metahumans singing guy is just the animator or the software attempting to match the mouth to the words, hence thats why it looks off and a large reason you instantly see its CGI. If so its impressive but still doesnt look as natural as using captured data, in that detroit singing it looks like there are tiny vibrations in the persons face/lips (how did they capture the tongue?)

it is supposed to be ML (ziva)

Ziva Dynamics | ZRT Face Trainer

I guess the metahuman singing is done with the available assets in UE5, but you can capture actors performance, like in matrix demo or hellblade 2.

Also, I find it interesting if life-like models such as these (or fully indistinguishable) were placed in a combat game, would anyone start to feel empathy towards them and actually hesitate before 'attacking' them and change their approach?

Doubtful, in general the people playing the games, know its a game. That by itself buts a barrier between what they do and how they feel about it. Of course, there's varying degrees of it.

It doesn't help that games and media (music, video, movies) have been bombarding us with acts that no sane normal person would find acceptable. In movies we see visceral depictions of such things happening to real actors (although special effects obviously come into play). In music we can find explicit lyrics talking about such things. Games have been increasingly leaning on explicit and detailed depictions of violence by the gamer (just look at Last of Us 2). While some people were turned off by it, not many felt empathy towards the people they were butchering in that game.

Again to varying degrees of separation between games and reality depending on the person. Another example, VR and horror games. Some people viscerally react to being in VR to the point where they react to things as if it were happening to them in real life. Some people don't. I bought my first VR headset because I was hoping it would help me conquer my fear of heights. Unfortunately since I knew it wasn't real, there was no fear of heights while standing on top of a skyscraper. I just walked off of it and looked down. Similarly many people instinctively duck away from things coming at them. For me, it's all about why? It's not real. So unless there's some penalty in game for something hitting me, I just stand there and let it "pass through my head". In real life, I'd be violently trying to move out of the way. :p Similarly for horror games. Some people get scared by them, some don't. The last time I felt anything approaching fear in a horror game was back when I first played Alone in the Dark when it originally released.

Although, looking back at your question, you did ask in such a way that if only one person in the world would feel empathy, then it would qualify as "yes"? However, that's already true. There are some people that currently do feel empathy towards in game characters and hesitate before doing anything "bad" to them.

So, I guess, the answer would be yes. Some people might feel empathy and hesitate just like they've been doing the past few decades. :)

But for the people that haven't been feeling empathy and hesitating, I don't think in game characters being more realistic and lifelike will change anything.

That said, I'm just waiting for the NSFW world to get ahold of explicit versions of something like this and going wild with actor likenesses in NSFW contexts. :p

Regards,
SB

UE5 Metahuman lighting update (via n4g.com)
I'm already looking forward to next gen, its going to be insane.

Is that actually a swallow or some adams apple muscle movement at 3:35? If so, that's a real neat touch. Very impressive

FLiy9lEX0AA3l2O

People in video games have the stupidest hats.:yep2:

Imagine an actual human being wearing what alloy wears. A regular stroll would be riddled with constant "wait a sec, my flipitty flop #34 just untied, let me just tighten-it up"

Mate check out what some of the worlds military actually wears

All these years and I've never consider what sort of stats power up bearskin hats give the Queen's guard.

Presumably

+ 20 marching
+ 15 button polishing
+ 10 nonce prince protection
- 50 representative democracy

Back