Accurate Human Rendering in Game [2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt Odissey can match this in terms of details, but i don't have the game.

Actually, the skin is quite detailed up close:

assassinscreedodysseyarfrg.jpg

This is definitely a new standard for AC games.

I really like the art on this AC characters, specially the female protagonist. They managed to create a very naturalistic look that makes her look very alive and human. Like the very subtle variation of coloration across her skin. I even dare say in some aspects they were more tasteful than ND that went a little overboard with adding layer uppon layer of dust and mud and dirt and sweat over everything to make it look realistic "by force". The absolute chaos of wrinkle stravaganza on U4 clothing was the most obvious exemple of that practice to me. This approach had started with the LoU on PS3 already, but it fit that game's tone and setting better than the Uncharted universe that was supposedly more fantastical and fun.
The shape of this AC protagonist face was very well modeled in my opinion. Mixes the right amount of beauty and attractiveness we want in a hero, with a certain normalness that makes her feel relatable and plausible. She looks like an admirable human, but a human nonetheless. She also has a very distinct Mediterranean appearance without it feeling to stereotypical or forced. At moments she looks more natural than most heroines on movie screens, full of make up. It fits the Greek aesthetic too, since that people's culture and art had a very high appreciation for the human body and physiche. Very nice work in my opinion.

Last edited:
Actually, the skin is quite detailed up close

For some reasons, i can't load the whole picture, but from what i've seen her skin does look really good.

And i agree with milk, i prefer this kind of attractiveness. In comparison, Aloy is rather average, juste like Mary Jane...

Last edited:
I also like the AC character best, thumbs up to the devs for achieving this kind of graphics for a game thats multiplatform.

Kasandra looks very nice for a AC game for sure, in fact it's got higher res textures and higher poly count than Lara from Shadow. I do think HZD's Aloy pushes out the detail, lighting and hair rendering even more than both tho, not bad for a 3 years old open world game.
1488268893_85916023741pde1.png

I just dont see anything special on Aloy or her details/model.

IMO she is one of ugliest woman characters I have ever seen in a game, her face looks like she have been drinking beer for too long or having some kind of allergic reaction and the whole face is bloated / too big. Skin also look like plastic/too soft etc.

Other characters had better/more natural faces in this game so dunno what is the point or making the main character look so weird.

I guess it is partly thing of personal taste/preferences, I just cant find her attractive at all.

That AC character is bit better, but still not attractive to me. Lara from tomb raider (not the newest one, but 1-2 games before it) on PC version(they changed her a bit for ps4 version) were almost perfect for my taste as how she looks like.

Indeed, Aloy isn't attractive... i mean even worse than Marie Jane... As for the doll effect , it's according to the lighting conditions :

horizon-character-art-aloy-portrait.jpg

Anyway, even when Aloy has a doll-like appearance, the rendering doesn't look cheap.

Here's a cheap doll-like appearance to me :

48E34AB9F4399515DAB85D804F0A365E3B1B94F3

Aloy with a more artificial look by comparison :

HTaXzDJ.png

Last edited:
Can we please keep this thread about the technical aspects of human figure rendering and not personal opinions on what one considers a good looking guy/girl. Whether one considers an in-game character pretty or ugly is irrelevant to the topic, and certainly shouldn't affect one's assessment of any technical accomplishments or shortcomings. It can be argued that the vast majority of (certainly female) computer game character's aren't at all realistic based on a median average of human appearance. Ergo, let's focus on the qualities of skin shader lighting and detailing and animation irrespective of what skeleton and muscle form is selected to demonstrate those techniques.

I just dont see anything special on Aloy or her details/model.

IMO she is one of ugliest woman characters I have ever seen in a game, her face looks like she have been drinking beer for too long or having some kind of allergic reaction and the whole face is bloated / too big. Skin also look like plastic/too soft etc.

Other characters had better/more natural faces in this game so dunno what is the point or making the main character look so weird.

I guess it is partly thing of personal taste/preferences, I just cant find her attractive at all.

That AC character is bit better, but still not attractive to me. Lara from tomb raider (not the newest one, but 1-2 games before it) on PC version(they changed her a bit for ps4 version) were almost perfect for my taste as how she looks like.
Perhaps we should have a thread for the most aesthetically attractive character models just for funz. But other than subjective beauty standards Aloy's model is technically very impressive to me especially hair rendering, polygon density, texture res and shading quality both in game and cutscene.

I think that Aloy is more detailed, but the lighting is more realistic in Odyssey on average. Aloy can have a doll-like appearance in some instances (see the pic posted by Ultragpu) and i didn't see the same issue to the same extent on the screenshots posted by Clukos.

Concerning the details, this is how Aloy's skin looks in close up :

32918265990_c1338cb707_o.png

I doubt Odissey can match this in terms of details, but i don't have the game.

Well, we still the difference... HZD runs at a higher resolution and a much more stable framerate. Same for Spiderman. The level of polish is clearly not the same.

I accidentally clicked on the image and my golly, it's on a different level.

I hope anyone checking this image does so.

Still WIP
SQ42 (1).jpg SQ42 (2).jpg SQ42 (3).jpg SQ42 (6).jpg SQ42 (4).jpg SQ42 (5).jpg

CIG can use GeneSplicing based on over 120 characters (billions of different characters possible) and the characters can change their head shape drastically (even asymmetrical faces) and yet the objects like helmets, glasses, (elastic objects with fixed parts), beard etc. will still fit well on the head. I didn't know that from a video game either. Games in which player characters use assets on their head usually have the same head size. They also want to use this technique for the body (fat, thin characters, etc.). Animations can also be transferred one-to-one to each face. For example, a created face can have the same animations as Mark Hamill.

The character technology has also been significantly improved. New shaders, new SSS etc. The hair (which is mostly the worst part of a character in games) now consists of lots of objects -> expensive. They also said that without TAA the hair will flicker a lot.

Last edited:
Is it me or do men always look a little bit more realistic than women, when it comes to ‘photoreal’ models? Is it the wrinkles? I find it so strange. Women models almost always break that illusion that some of the male models can hold very well.

Last edited:
Is it me or do men always look a little bit more realistic than men, when it comes to ‘photoreal’ models? Is it the wrinkles? I find it so strange. Women models almost always break that illusion that some of the male models can hold very well.
Between men and men, of course men will be more realistic, duh

I'm not sure about women. I think the quality is similar to men. Maybe it's because women wear make up? And the make up can be thin or thick, thus lots of variance in how we perceived what a women should look like. Of course some men also wear make up, especially celebrities, but that is not a normal daily occurrence.
Better make up shader perhaps?

Between men and men, of course men will be more realistic, duh

I'm not sure about women. I think the quality is similar to men. Maybe it's because women wear make up? And the make up can be thin or thick, thus lots of variance in how we perceived what a women should look like. Of course some men also wear make up, especially celebrities, but that is not a normal daily occurrence.
Better make up shader perhaps?

Edited - thanks! :)

Is it me or do men always look a little bit more realistic than women, when it comes to ‘photoreal’ models? Is it the wrinkles? I find it so strange. Women models almost always break that illusion that some of the male models can hold very well.
I'd guess it has something to do with the skin shaders on smoother skin. Children models have the same problems in games, no? Perhaps just the level of noise in the older male faces breaks up the artificialness. Are there comparable old women characters alongside these younger heroines?

Or maybe it's because these games are set when women don't have access to matte foundation and so their natural shine covers them with plasticky highlights, which would be natural except we've forgotten what natural looks thanks to Maybeline, Max Factor, Rimmel, et al? ;)

Wow, that's, like, totally sexist. I can't believe you'd just assume the gender of those characters.

On a serious note, I think the presence of wrinkles and facial hair all provide the mind with enough 3D information to make the face more cohesive. Black skin has a similar effect IMO - all things being equal, it always looks more realistic. Presumably because there's a greater variety of shades visible when light bounces off of it.

Wrinkles, facial hair, and black... An old man Blade game would be the most photorealistic game ever. As long as all of the NPC's were also old, black, bearded men. Like the Malkovich Malkovich scene in Being John Malkovich.

I continue to think in AAA production value is good most f the time some are better than other but at least it is not bad most of the time... The biggest problem is face animation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back