Accurate human rendering in game [2014-2016]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see what you're saying, Drake has always been more 'goofy' than other serious characters, but I think that's what makes him Drake. He's still more cartoony than other main characters even though ND strive for a realistic look. I love it, personally.

I remember that one of ND animators, if not Amy Hennig herself, said that they usually exaggerate animations.

Facial animations aside, there's hardly anything flamboyant about his movement, though. They just look a bit odd. Besides, trying to ground their creations via a sense of weight is something good traditional animators work incredibly hard for, especially in cartoons. Drake kinda wobbles up and down cliff faces like he's filled with helium.

Facial animations aside, there's hardly anything flamboyant about his movement, though. They just look a bit odd. Besides, trying to ground their creations via a sense of weight is something good traditional animators work incredibly hard for, especially in cartoons. Drake kinda wobbles up and down cliff faces like he's filled with helium.
But... That's part of his totally unrealistic and super hot athleticism!

It's not the speed really. Lara is just as fast. Heck, she's probably faster. And Arno basically scales buildings with the speed of a monkey. I think all the simulations and the animation blending is probably doing ND a disservice here. Lara doesn't have the same amount of animations. The ones she does have are way more convincing, though. TR Underworld had similar issues. Tons of animations, yet nowhere near as convincing in motion as TR Legends and TR Anniversary.

When we are on topic of climbing animations, this is very relevant [and proof that Kojima is best :D ]:
http://kotaku.com/why-snake-is-the-best-climber-in-video-game-history-1636633722

Also, Faceware has published some BTS videos from the Director's Guild presentation of our work on COD:AW.

http://vimeo.com/facewaretech/videos

Unfortunately no wireframes :(

Edit: that's strange, now there are only two videos, a few days ago they had more... I guess AV had them removed.

It's also kinda old by now :) I might have posted it here and there some time ago. Impressive stuff for sure, although I think ND has the advantage...

That sounds interesting that you think ND has the advantage here... but I guess we just couldn't see it in the past really (low res PS3 games and all).

A blast from the past. Heavy Rain and Beyond, and the robot girl, all by Quantic Dreams. Heavy Rain certainly improved, but I remember people impressed by those graphics on the PS3 and I never understood why.

2006to2008Comparison.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg
_bmuploads_2013-03-19_1757_homeless03.jpg

Casting was unique for its time when it was made, not many games then attempted to create such detailed characters. Both HR and Beytond managed to create great game avatars, can't wait to see what QD will do on PS4.

The-Dark-Sorcerer.jpg

Dark-Sorcerer1.png

^ face of the devil looks insanely realistic when in motion

Casting was unique for its time when it was made, not many games then attempted to create such detailed characters. Both HR and Beytond managed to create great game avatars, can't wait to see what QD will do on PS4.

The-Dark-Sorcerer.jpg

Dark-Sorcerer1.png

^ face of the devil looks insanely realistic when in motion
Beyond Two Souls is okay, above average. Heavy Rain on the other hand was kinda creepy at times, but palatable. The robot girl was shown as a revolution at the time but I didn't like it, it was creepy, and you can see how she doesn't have lines above the upper lips, she has no perioral lines.

Yeah, the face looks very lifelike, not your usual artificial plastic doll type. Overall design is good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back