A Plague Tale: Requiem - The Rats of Us [XBSX|S, PC, PS5, XGP, NX]

Best console graphics so far, seems the general agreement. Next gen is finally here.
ultra level settings are pretty intense, combine it with extreme draw distance, this will bring many setups to knees.
I legit need @Dictator optimized PC settings lol. for now it will be ultra settings and medium level draw distance @ 4KDLSS. But once RT arrives I know things will have to tone down for sure.

whoa! didnt know it has been released!

lamenting to grab this on PC gamepass on my region, or on console+PC with gamepass ultimate from US or somewhere...
the dilemma in a region where microsoft only offer PC gamepass to purchase...

A shame this game does not make use of any of the DX12 Ultimate features.

I bet the addition of mesh shaders could accelerate their high polygon pipeline immensely. Texture Space Shading and VRS could add another 20-30%, so 60 fps would be possible on consoles and PC GPUs that are not 3080s!

Is this the slowest loading "next gen" game on consoles?
Close to a minute to load on both PS5/XSX. Even QuickResume is on the slow side.

lighting is so different between the 2. The HDR is way different, or the lighting rendering is different. Honestly can't tell by someone recording the screen like that.

funny thing is that, at least in the first few cutscenes i've seen for now, you can move the camera freely in photo mode.
and you can explore more that you should too in PM.

Reactions: snc
Any benchmark for this game that doesn't stress a variety of locales will not present an accurate picture of the stress points of this engine. CPU usage of the game varies wildly from the opening areas where it's a piddly 12-15% on my i5-12400, to ~80% in the market area, where at 1080p DLSS performance, high settings (Ultra textures), vsync off (important as noted later) on my 3060, it drops below 60fps as a result.

APT2_WinStore.x64.Submission_2022_10_18_13_32_35_956.png

However, these CPU limited drops below 60fps are pretty rare so far, so likely most systems with CPU's better than a I5-12400 will likely not have an issue maintaining 60fps, at least from a CPU perspective. We'll see as the game goes along, albeit I may not play it for much longer due to the other problems mentioned below. A 10600 or R5 3600 though, will absolutely not be able to maintain 60fps in the market area by any stretch. GameGPU is testing the opening area that uses a tiny fraction of the CPU that other areas do, so pointing to their benchmarks based on the first 5 minutes of the game as evidence that this game is not CPU demanding is pretty silly (it's also a relatively light GPU load compared to areas soon after that section, so it's just a dumb benchmark to draw conclusions about the games performance overall).

The other issue with this game, at least on fixed refresh rate displays, is the same problem A Plague Tale: Innocence had, and that is a completely borked vsync implementation. With that game at least I could fix it by forcing triple buffering with Fast Sync, being DX12 though I of course have no such option here.

Basically GPU usage can swing from ~85% to ~100% when panning a scene at points, causing you to lose ~10fps where you wouldn't with vysnc disabled. Vsync will always not be able to max out your GPU at 100% all the time on a fixed refresh display of course, but with it enabled you should expect to see drops to ~98%, not 85. It will be hovering in the 50's, then wants to jump to 45 fps, then to 40, then to 30. Very odd behavior.

vQdpOW5.jpg

Finally, there's just shitty frame pacing in general. You can have large stutters with no corresponding frame rate drop. Input latency is also poor, which Nvidia Reflex does a good job in rectifying...but then adds even more frame pacing issues. This is the second DX12 game where I've seen it have this effect, Deathloop adds severe microstuttering with it enabled on my system, making it untenable for use in that game.

If this game had a properly frame-paced 30fps option, and Reflex didn't induce more stuttering, this could actually be playable at 4k with DLSS performance (which so far, works quite well) for a better than console experience on a 3060. But, not to be. With the GPU usage bouncing issue I would basically have to play at 1080p to maintain close to 60fps, which looks like crap, but the intermittent frame pacing issue remains. So impossible for now to get this game to provide a consist experience on my rig which is a shame.

Last edited:
Any benchmark for this game that doesn't stress a variety of locales will not present an accurate picture of the stress points of this engine. CPU usage of the game varies wildly from the opening areas where it's a piddly 12-15% on my i5-12400, to ~80% in the market area, where at 1080p DLSS performance, high settings (Ultra textures), vsync off (important as noted later) on my 3060, it drops below 60fps as a result.

View attachment 7273

However, these CPU limited drops below 60fps are pretty rare so far, so likely most systems with CPU's better than a I5-12400 will likely not have an issue maintaining 60fps, at least from a CPU perspective. We'll see as the game goes along, albeit I may not play it for much longer due to the other problems mentioned below. A 10600 or R5 3600 though, will absolutely not be able to maintain 60fps in the market area by any stretch. GameGPU is testing the opening area that uses a tiny fraction of the CPU that other areas do, so pointing to their benchmarks based on the first 5 minutes of the game as evidence that this game is not CPU demanding is pretty silly (it's also a relatively light GPU load compared to areas soon after that section, so it's just a dumb benchmark to draw conclusions about the games performance overall).

The other issue with this game, at least on fixed refresh rate displays, is the same problem A Plague Tale: Innocence had, and that is a completely borked vsync implementation. With that game at least I could fix it by forcing triple buffering with Fast Sync, being DX12 though I of course have no such option here.

Basically GPU usage can swing from ~85% to ~100% when panning a scene at points, causing you to lose ~10fps where you wouldn't with vysnc enabled. Vsync will always not be able to max out your GPU at 100% all the time on a fixed refresh display of course, but with it enabled you should expect to see drops to ~98%, not 85. It will be hovering in the 50's, then wants to jump to 45 fps, then to 40, then to 30. Very odd behavoir.

vQdpOW5.jpg

Finally, there's just shitty frame pacing in general. You can have large stutters with no corresponding frame rate drop. Input latency is also poor, which Nvidia Reflex does a good job in rectifying...but then adds even more frame pacing issues. This is the second DX12 game where I've seen it have this effect, Deathloop adds severe microstuttering with it enabled on my system, making it untenable for use in that game.

If this game had a properly frame-paced 30fps option, and Reflex didn't induce more stuttering, this could actually be playable at 4k with DLSS performance (which so far, works quite well) for a better than console experience on a 3060. But, not to be. With the GPU usage bouncing issue I would basically have to play at 1080p to maintain close to 60fps, which looks like crap, but the intermittent frame pacing issue remains. So impossible for now to get this game to provide a consist experience on my rig which is a shame.

Can you not just limit it with NVCP or RTSS?

Can you not just limit it with NVCP or RTSS?

No. Neither fixes the poor frame pacing even if the GPU isn't stressed, and especially with Reflex enabled. Being DX12 the options to force it to deliver consistent frames is severely restrained.

I'm always gritting my teeth when I first boot up a DX12 game on a fixed refresh display as it's always "Really hope the devs actually paid attention to frame pacing because I'm sol if they didn't".

I am at the part after the fair, when Hugo is unwell.

I got seen by these soldiers and they killed me. Although not immediately. I ran out of stab attacks. :(

NO DLSS 3 ? No Problem | A Plague Tale: Requiem | RTX 3060 Ti

That's a good video to represent the game as it tests a lot of demanding areas. You don't need DLSS3 to go beyond 60fps on every pre-ADA GPU of course, but you still need a very high end system to maintain 60fps on this game, even at a very low res like 1080p:

1666129994991.png

The 5600X is preventing 60fps in this area too, look at that awful GPU usage%. So a 5600X/3060TI combo is not possible to sustain 60fps with this game currently.

1666129772272.png

Now a 40fps locked, 4k DLSS3 performance target would definitely be doable - if this game had decent frame pacing at least (look at those awful spikes) it would be a good experience on a 120hz/VRR display. But 60fps is going to be a struggle for many midrange systems and this game.

Back