A Plague Tale: Requiem - The Rats of Us [XBSX|S, PC, PS5, XGP, NX]

anyone know how to properly adjust the HDR?

at middle, it got bright crush.
at minimum, nothing gets crushed but its too dark

EDIT:
this game surprisingly has zero issue for me, other than HDR.

Last edited:
it's interesting how you can freely move the camera during cutscenes, wonder if it's a debug mode that's not been removed for the final release.

maybe thats simply how the game was made? as in, the cutscene is actually in gameplay but with higher quality

don't think there is a difference in character models, but yeah lighting is enhanced on characters, like always, but there could be more optimizations, a lot of scenery geometry out of the cutscene field of view is still present and useless. Most other games must go the same but we can't see as we can't control the camera.

maybe it's using unreal's auto-delete thingy when things go out of view? as its a current game only, it probaby doesnt need to be concerned with load/unload time?

No. Neither fixes the poor frame pacing even if the GPU isn't stressed, and especially with Reflex enabled. Being DX12 the options to force it to deliver consistent frames is severely restrained.

I'm always gritting my teeth when I first boot up a DX12 game on a fixed refresh display as it's always "Really hope the devs actually paid attention to frame pacing because I'm sol if they didn't".

That's weird, I've just tried locking it to 30fps via RTSS (my wife picked it up last night) and I'm getting perfect frame pacing. Latency is pretty horrible though. It's about 30ms lower if I run unlocked with Reflex on (which is roughly 40fps at these settings for me).

Requiem-30fps-lock.png

That's weird, I've just tried locking it to 30fps via RTSS (my wife picked it up last night) and I'm getting perfect frame pacing. Latency is pretty horrible though. It's about 30ms lower if I run unlocked with Reflex on (which is roughly 40fps at these settings for me).

Requiem-30fps-lock.png

A 1070, so no DLSS. I wonder if this particular DLSS implementation is screwing with frame times? Unlikely, but who knows.

Or perhaps something with Ada class GPUs is causing issues with frame times? Maybe the change that NV did in the most recent drivers that increased performance in Dx12 titles on 3xxx series GPUs also brought some unexpected behavior?

Alternatively, perhaps the CPU is at fault? Which CPU are you using?

Regards,
SB

A 1070, so no DLSS. I wonder if this particular DLSS implementation is screwing with frame times? Unlikely, but who knows.

Or perhaps something with Ada class GPUs is causing issues with frame times? Maybe the change that NV did in the most recent drivers that increased performance in Dx12 titles on 3xxx series GPUs also brought some unexpected behavior?

Alternatively, perhaps the CPU is at fault? Which CPU are you using?

Regards,
SB

I'm on a 3700x. I should have mentioned that RTSS didn't kick in the first time I enabled it but I was a bit haphazard it turning it on (alt-tabbing out of the game, switching between NVCP limiter and RTSS, switching reflex on/off etc...) and can't remember exactly how I did it or what I did that resolved it (aside from shutting down the game, setting the limit, and starting it up again).

What I do know is that I currently have a limiter set in NVCP of 117fps (just below my refesh rate) and 30 in RTSS.

I turned off the 117fps limit in NVCP just in case it was that but I'm still getting perfect frame pacing. I upped it to 34fps and still perfect. Also my latency is reasonable again now, I think I'd just messed with settings too many times when I took the earlier screenshot. This is with Reflex off as it doesn't seem to make a difference with this frame lock on.

Requiem-34fps-lock.png

EDIT: ignore the over brightness of the shot, it's because I am playing in HDR. It doesn't look like that in the game. For the record I'm running at the Medium preset and 3840x1600 at 50% resolution scale.

Last edited:
BTW - this is a great example of PC not being dead simple to use as a gaming machine compared to consoles. The mind boggling combinations of hardware, software, drivers, TSR programs (like anti-virus, etc.) and potential overclocking and tinkering (OS, hardware, etc.) just leads to sometimes hard to reproduce "problems" that may or may not be solvable.

Granted, on PC if you have the knowledge and/or can find a fix on the net, you can potentially fix performance problems, while on console you can't. Still on console you'll generally experience less problems and if there are problems ... well it's likely that most people are also experiencing them. :D

Regards,
SB

BTW - this is a great example of PC not being dead simple to use as a gaming machine compared to consoles. The mind boggling combinations of hardware, software, drivers, TSR programs (like anti-virus, etc.)..
Showing your age there mate, haha! I don't think it's technically a concept in Windows but one of the first programmes I wrote for - I reckon - DOS5.0 was a TSR screen grabber. Hated 80x86 then, hate it now. :runaway:

Somehow I missed the original game which I think is either in one of my game libraries.

Showing your age there mate, haha! I don't think it's technically a concept in Windows but one of the first programmes I wrote for - I reckon - DOS5.0 was a TSR screen grabber. Hated 80x86 then, hate it now. :runaway:

Somehow I missed the original game which I think is either in one of my game libraries.

Oh yeah, I remember messing with config.sys, autoexec.bat, etc. in DOS in order to juggle what was in memory (and even what region of memory) as well as DMA and IRQ conflicts in order to get some games to run, sound cards to work, controllers to be recognized in games, etc. As well as depending on the game, deciding whether to use MS-DOS or IBM DOS or another DOS that I can't remember the name of. Fun stuff. :p

Regards,
SB

BTW - this is a great example of PC not being dead simple to use as a gaming machine compared to consoles. The mind boggling combinations of hardware, software, drivers, TSR programs (like anti-virus, etc.) and potential overclocking and tinkering (OS, hardware, etc.) just leads to sometimes hard to reproduce "problems" that may or may not be solvable.

Granted, on PC if you have the knowledge and/or can find a fix on the net, you can potentially fix performance problems, while on console you can't. Still on console you'll generally experience less problems and if there are problems ... well it's likely that most people are also experiencing them. :D

Regards,
SB

Agree on that fully as a pc gamer.

Regards,
SB

Conversely my wife who knows literally zero about settings and framerates bought the game last night, installed it, played it, and loved it without any issues at all. The thing with enthusiasts like us is that we enjoy the tinkering, and the perfecting, and the benchmarking, and the PC allows us all the freedom we need to do that, while still allowing someone who cares for none of that to just pick up and play.

Granted those people won't be getting the optimal experience from the given hardware that the enthusiast would, and it would also be suboptimal (given similar hardware) to the console experience where that optimisation is done for them, but the important thing is, those people don't usually care that much, they just want to play the game. Whereas those who care about settings, and frame times etc... probably appreciate those options. Even the console gamers amongst us have nothing but praise when a new option is added to console games for them to play with.

Conversely my wife who knows literally zero about settings and framerates bought the game last night, installed it, played it, and loved it without any issues at all. The thing with enthusiasts like us is that we enjoy the tinkering, and the perfecting, and the benchmarking, and the PC allows us all the freedom we need to do that, while still allowing someone who cares for none of that to just pick up and play.

Granted those people won't be getting the optimal experience from the given hardware that the enthusiast would, and it would also be suboptimal (given similar hardware) to the console experience where that optimisation is done for them, but the important thing is, those people don't usually care that much, they just want to play the game. Whereas those who care about settings, and frame times etc... probably appreciate those options. Even the console gamers amongst us have nothing but praise when a new option is added to console games for them to play with.

Oh absolutely, when you don't run into any problems, it's practically as easy as console. Probably 90% of the games I run.

It's when you run into problems that things get "fun". :p Like developers that hardcode certain keybinds that you can't change. Japanese developers are the worst at this but many western devs still screw this up. Sometimes it's so bad I have to use a key remapper in order comfortably game on MKB. And some games like to hardcode max resolution at 1920x1080 (usually small indie developers) which isn't so bad if you like to game fullscreen, but since I play all my games in a window, that becomes a bigger problem. :p Or when certain NV drivers for the 1070 would make normally opaque textures become transparent instead in some of the games I play. AAAUUUUUGGGGGHHHHH, that was so frustrating to deal with before I found out what was happening (NV drivers and not the game).

Regards,
SB

It's when you run into problems that things get "fun". :p Like developers that hardcode certain keybinds that you can't change. Japanese developers are the worst at this but many western devs still screw this up. Sometimes it's so bad I have to use a key remapper in order comfortably game on MKB.
The lack of remapping key binds in some PC games is absolutely baffling. Criminal I know, but I prefer cursors to ASDW for movement in all RTS and strategy games and I keep coming across games where you cannot do this. I think all the consoles let you remap the controller buttons, PlayStation definitely does and Switch does because I've long since swapped A and B because that drives me insane!

Fortunately I do have a good Logitech wireless keyboard, where you can reap keys on a per app basis, which is fine until you want to type something when remapping ASDW is a crap idea! :cautious:

maybe their engine have auto delete thingy like unreal.

i wonder if someone can enable debug mode and unveil what the game/engine do in cutscene.

Back