A comparison of PS3 and 360 as media players

A first for PSN and PS+

VIAPLAY, is a service that is provided by Viasat in Scandinavian. It's basicly a Netflix for the content that Viasat usually supplies via Satellite through their own Boxes, subscription based.

Now you can download their app on the PS3 and use it as netflix, the catch is, that you need a PS3+ subscribtion to actually use it like on other platforms (PC/MAC/TABLET/SMART TV).

Yes, the one thing i hate the most about XBOX live, paying extra for something that you have to pay for.. is now a reality on the PS3. There is a limited use without PS+, you can rent movies through the VIAPLAY app :-/

http://viaplay.dk/devices/playstation3

I hope lots of Scandinavians protest, lest SCEA get any ideas about trying this state side. :eek:

hmm, does the new Xbox dash bring better codec?

it seems now able to play mp4 with non standard encoding setting.

also I never though that Kinect voice command in Xbox is real. I though its just listening to specific pre defined command.

I tried manually adding my own CON/LIVE video and Kinect understand my voice command. wow.

Microsoft is really getting far along with the Voice Recognition. There's quite the arms race currently between them, Google, and Apple on this front, and I think Microsoft are actually doing really well.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

and the nice thing is that Kinect voice command works while there another sound. unfortunately, it seems some people don't know that Kinect need ('re)calibration to works correctly.

now if only Microsoft unlock Kinect voice command to all apps, it will be wonderful.

Bought a subscription for Music Unlimited with the plus discount. Pretty good selection, but I couldn't find any japanese music. Some korean though. Chinese seems pretty good, but it can be difficult to find. Pretty good swedish selection. The Vita and android apps are OK as well.....

And more importantly, have you updated your Popcorn Hours firmware yet and do you have impressions of BD ISO streaming for the PS3/360 Media Player comparison thread yet? :p

Saw this on another thread so answering it here. I still have the popcorn hour unit but I don't actually use it anymore, I've long since switched to pc. It's gotten easier to play bluray dumps on pc now as there is free software that does it, Media Player Lite. So I just build machines from spare parts now to use as bluray players. For example in the living room I took an old motherboard, put a dual core i3 cpu in it, slapped in a single stick of ram, plugged it to tv with hdmi cable, done. Media Player Lite plays my bluray dumps complete with chapter stops (I strip the menus away) so with a wireless mouse I can play all my movies perfectly over network from the raid server with no issues. I use nice looking Silverstone cases so that the pc's look nice and aren't an eyesore. I've been doing it this way for so many years now and haven't looked back, there's just no reason to fumble with consoles anymore when pc just does it all so easily. I keep the pc's asleep, one button press wakes them up in 2 seconds, and 3 seconds later any movie I want is playing, it's perfect. :) I was thinking of putting the popcorn hour c-200 to use again in a bedroom one day, but for right now it's still sitting in a closet. So I can't comment on it's firmware as it's been a long time since I've powered it up.

Does anyone know how can I stream 720p mkv videos from TVrsity to my PS3?
I get a corrupted file message :smile:

Saw this on another thread so answering it here. I still have the popcorn hour unit but I don't actually use it anymore, I've long since switched to pc. It's gotten easier to play bluray dumps on pc now as there is free software that does it, Media Player Lite. So I just build machines from spare parts now to use as bluray players. For example in the living room I took an old motherboard, put a dual core i3 cpu in it, slapped in a single stick of ram, plugged it to tv with hdmi cable, done. Media Player Lite plays my bluray dumps complete with chapter stops (I strip the menus away) so with a wireless mouse I can play all my movies perfectly over network from the raid server with no issues. I use nice looking Silverstone cases so that the pc's look nice and aren't an eyesore. I've been doing it this way for so many years now and haven't looked back, there's just no reason to fumble with consoles anymore when pc just does it all so easily. I keep the pc's asleep, one button press wakes them up in 2 seconds, and 3 seconds later any movie I want is playing, it's perfect. :) I was thinking of putting the popcorn hour c-200 to use again in a bedroom one day, but for right now it's still sitting in a closet. So I can't comment on it's firmware as it's been a long time since I've powered it up.

Have you considered moving to XBMC for media library management, browsing and playback?

Have you considered moving to XBMC for media library management, browsing and playback?

Nah didn't really consider it. The reality is I'm lazy, more so in my older age, and I just want stuff to work fast and easy. I don't have the patience to configure stuff, or deal with the inevitable issues that crop up. My setup right now is simple and works flawless so I'll stick with that. It's not like I didn't try in the past, I had tried some pretty interfaces but there was always some issues here and there that got on my nerves and I ended up abandoning them. What's cool with Media Player Lite is that it doesn't need any setup at all. No codecs to install, nothing. Basically we start with a fresh Windows 8 install, then just install Media Player Lite. Presto, all my bluray's play over the network perfectly. Nothing more to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nah didn't really consider it. The reality is I'm lazy, more so in my older age, and I just want stuff to work fast and easy. I don't have the patience to configure stuff, or deal with the inevitable issues that crop up. My setup right now is simple and works flawless so I'll stick with that. It's not like I didn't try in the past, I had tried some pretty interfaces but there was always some issues here and there that got on my nerves and I ended up abandoning them.

I am super lazy in that regard as well. I don't even build PCs anymore, because I don't want to be bothered. I just want my tech at home to work, and if it doesn't, to be someone else's problem to fix. Which is why I'm hoping the A-300 will address my main issues with trying to get the PS3 and 360 to serve my media needs, and for a relatively cheap price.

Hi everyone I am new to xbox360 media and was wondering what the quality of downloaded movie content in HD is.
I am thinking of getting Dark Knight Rises and can get it either from 360 or Rogers cable on demand. How does 360 content stack up compared to HD cable providers content?

Hi everyone I am new to xbox360 media and was wondering what the quality of downloaded movie content in HD is.
I am thinking of getting Dark Knight Rises and can get it either from 360 or Rogers cable on demand. How does 360 content stack up compared to HD cable providers content?
Depends on the cable provider. When I was working on HD DVD, the cable providers were moving from a two HD channels per QAM channel (19Mb per stream) to three channels (12Mb per stream), using MPEG2. Some providers have moved to H.264, but I don't know if they've just used that efficiency to give them better 12Mb channels or increased their number of channels per QAM frequency to 4 or more.

HD on XBox is around 6Mb H.264-ish (might be VC1). I suspect a like-for-like comparison would favor the cable version, but personally I find the Xbox version pretty good. Good enough, in fact, that I generally go for the SD 480p stream unless I really want the 5.1 audio.

http://blog.netflix.com/2012/12/playstation-3-leads-living-room-netflix.html

PS3 is the largest TV-connected platform in terms of Netflix viewing. This year, at times, PS3 even surpassed the PC in hours of Netflix enjoyment to become our No. 1 platform overall.

And it's the only console among the big sellers that doesn't charge the user an extra fee.

I think that Microsoft will have to re-evaluate their Gold/Silver offerings for the next round.

Unless Sony is stupid (ehmm) they would make it crystal clear just how much they offer for "free" with PSN compared to the competition during the next round.

If they keep stuff free of course, but it does seem that they have a different pay for service strategy.

There was a new section for 3D content in my PS3 Netflix app when I booted it up last night. I don't have a 3D TV so I couldn't test whether the stuff was actually being streamed in a 3D format. Anyone else seeing it? I know they are constantly pushing out test versions randomly for new features.

If you've been interested in trying out a subscription to the Premium version of PlayOn, you can now get a full year free for your Wii U. Details here...

http://www.playon.tv/devices/wiiu

Also, they are running a $39.99 holiday special for a lifetime subscription...

http://www.playon.tv/buy/

I just got a Roku 2 XD for our bedroom & didn't realize that you need a Premium Subscription to access it from the Roku box. I just have the original standard version of PlayOn that they quit selling once they went to a subscription plan. Never had an incentive to upgrade until now.

Tommy McClain

Microsoft is really getting far along with the Voice Recognition. There's quite the arms race currently between them, Google, and Apple on this front, and I think Microsoft are actually doing really well.

Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

I wonder why Sony didn't pursue this from the beginning. After all, the PS Eye has a 4 mic array. Plus, they have a strong voice recognition library working in SingStar. It just seems a bit strange. This seems like such an easy thing for them to add.

I wonder why Sony didn't pursue this from the beginning. After all, the PS Eye has a 4 mic array. Plus, they have a strong voice recognition library working in SingStar. It just seems a bit strange. This seems like such an easy thing for them to add.
Hmm, debatable. Building a speech model is a very expensive undertaking, and you have to build one for every language and major dialect (we had at least 4 just for english). For Microsoft it's a strategic bet, and we have a huge amount of in-house know how in the subject. I'm not sure it's enough of an advantage for Sony to spend the kinds of money required to do it right. (Every time we made a change to the audio pipeline that required a model rebuild - which happened a number of times before Kinect shipped, it cost over a million dollars)

Back