A comparison of PS3 and 360 as media players

Selling the same content. If every TV channel showed the same content, we'd only need one of those as well. If there's was a significant difference (like MUBI) than I can understand it. If there were stores for each of the movie companies (Disney store, WB store), I could understand it, although that'd still be less than ideal. But presently on PS3 when we tried, we looked through 3 different stores trying to find something to watch, which was a complete waste of time. All this competition is just like a format war. I don't want to have to own an HDDVD player to get WB movies, and a BRD player to get Disney movies. I want them all available on the same format. I don't want to have to have a Netflix account to watch some films and an Amazon account to watch others. I want a service with every single film and TV series ever made on at a fair price.

The contents are similar but the delivery is different. Amazon Instant Video is more like an Amazon fan service on PS3. The main draw is the 17,000 free videos for me, since we are a Prime member. I have been watching free movies since AIV launched a few days ago.

I will still stick to Vudu and Hulu Plus for my video needs. They have better UI and larger library, but they are not free. ^_^

EDIT: I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon Instant Video offer UltraViolet movies (digital copies a la AppleTV and Walmart) in the near future too.
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/story/2012-01-11/amazon-ultraviolet-movies/52495788/1

Also found a Jack Buser article talking about IPTV and cable...
http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/3/2923314/psn-boss-jack-buser-never-say-never-on-iptv
(I haven't read the article yet).

The iOS version is supposed to land soon (within weeks).

Still really happy with it so a good chance that I'll end Spotify and go with Music Unlimited instead. The interface on Vita is just such a joy to work with, and the soundquality is just brilliant. Very happy with it!

Still really happy with it so a good chance that I'll end Spotify and go with Music Unlimited instead. The interface on Vita is just such a joy to work with, and the soundquality is just brilliant. Very happy with it!

They need to integrate Shazam and Pandora with Music Unlimited. GraceNote's SenseMe is nice but may be too broad stroke for some people. Pandora has a loyal following anyway.

After fighting the good fight, I've given up. I hate to have to break encryption, ISO it, then convert, and/or convert/transcode just to play media I own. And then have 2 copies of the same movie if I want to have the original available digitally for archive/future use. My last hope was that I could take my BD ISOs as is (after AnyDVD HD), and use a media server to play them back from the PS3 or 360. Tversity handles ISOs horribly (have to add each ISO individually), and PS3 Media Server only seems to work with DVD ISOs. BDs ISOs are apparently in the works, but you still have to deal with the ISO folder navigation issue and no branching support. Doable for me, but not necessarily for others who want to start up a movie on their own.

Looks like the Popcorn Hour A300, with the latest firmware update, now has full BD menu navigation support for ISOs, instead of just simple navigation. And that's exactly what I need. Something that can read an ISO from a share, and give me the full disc experience (after a little help to disable unskippable sections with AnyDVD). So, I'm following Joker's route and going to streamline my entire media setup and make some other changes.

• Media Server:
    • Windows 7 (soon to be 8) running Windows Media Center
    • Centon 4 Tuner Card with Multi-stream Cable Card
    • Mirrored Drives for ISOs (no more re-encodes)
  • XBox 360
    • Used for Live TV via Media Center Extender (ditching the Tivo/Cable DVRs)
  • PS3
    • Used with TVersity/PS3 Media Server for already recorded shows.
    • Used for Hulu/Netflix/Crunchyroll playback on TVs
  • Popcorn Hour A-300
    • Used for all movies. ISOs pulled straight from media server.
Very pleased with Windows Media Center as a central DVR for the house. Very nice interface, simple setup, and with the mCard integration with cable is seamless. Have some performance tuning to do to find a powerful video card that doesn't take up 2 slots (due to the fan). I noticed some difference in speed in menu navigation from the extender end when a better video card is installed. The box I have it in (an old quad-core ML115 G5) doesn't have a lot of slots, and the 16x slot is spaced relatively close to next PCIe slot. Which I'll need to use for an external HBA to a DAS for expansion space (BD ISOs eat up space quickly).

With 360s available for so cheap, they make a great Media Center Extender (well, the only Extender at the moment). Since I pretty much have a 360 under every TV already, using the 360 lets me eliminate the dedicated DVR box. So, I'm dropping the Tivo/Cable DVRs. Was in love with the Tivo at first, but that feeling quickly faded the more I used it. 1/2 the interface is still clunky and SD, and lacks the live TV box (granted, its the 1/2 of the menu that's not used very often much). And it still has some performance issues in certain situations. And the cable DVR is, well, adequate at best (at least the ones I have from Comcast). Dropping those will save a pretty penny. Along with lowering the cable package, as I tend to use Hulu/Crunchyroll/Netflix a whole lot more now.

The PS3 won't play much of a roll in my new setup, despite still having my interface of preference for media browsing and playback. With PS3 Media Server and/or TVersity, I'll be able to watch back WMC recorded TV shows. I haven't decided on which of those I'll ultimately settle on yet (still testing them). EDIT I forgot that for the most part all of my Hulu/Netflix watching is done of the PS3 (even more than the PC). I don't keep my Gold Live subscription very often, and I haven't checked into playing them through an Extender via WMC. Although TVersity has a WMC plug-in and Hulu/Netflix support, I think.

Which just leaves the A-300. Don't have it yet, but it looks like that will be the last major piece of the puzzle as it takes care of eliminating the need to have multiple copies of my ripped media, and can just keep the original high quality copy. Don't have to rely on transcoders, or wonky ISO navigation either. And its a lot cheaper than the C-300. Which is what was originally holding me back from jumping into the Popcorn Hour camp after Joker mentioned them because it (the C series) was the only one with full BD menu support (I think) until now. I don't need hard drives or a BD drive, so, the C has nothing I'm really looking for.

The only issue I haven't figured out, is mobile playback. Something I rarely do, but would like to have the option of. Creating a portable copy of all my ISOs is not going to happen, so, I just might not have a solution for that yet. Not a big deal. The new simplified setup is well worth the trade off. Maybe someone will release an Android app out there for BD ISO playback over the network. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
The only issue I haven't figured out, is mobile playback. Something I rarely do, but would like to have the option of. Creating a portable copy of all my ISOs is not going to happen, so, I just might not have a solution for that yet. Not a big deal. The new simplified setup is well worth the trade off. Maybe someone will release an Android app out there for BD ISO playback over the network. :p

I looked into it and J River Media Center can do this. Following the instructions here I set JRMC up to treat .ISOs as video files and was then able to stream both a ripped DVD and BR image to my android phone.

Question about Youtube App on the PS3.
I have found the search function very limited and broken. It doesnt get as many results or even the correct results that it is supposed to get.
If I choose two words it will find two different things instead of the closest match of both words and the results are few
Is there another search option?

Use the full YouTube website rather than the app. Although does that not work since the update? Can't recall. Basically don't use YouTube on PS3! Smartdevices have a much better interface and performance.

Use the full YouTube website rather than the app. Although does that not work since the update? Can't recall. Basically don't use YouTube on PS3! Smartdevices have a much better interface and performance.

Actually the YouTube App on PS3 is pretty good. I don't think it is even out in the EU, so have you tried it? You can actually control it with your smartdevice. ;)

I don't know what's up with the search though, haven't used it recently. It should be using an API from Youtube for searching, so that's weird. I do know that a number of videos are disqualified from mobile / App viewing, so that they won't show up on phones, tablets, tvs etc.

Actually the YouTube App on PS3 is pretty good. I don't think it is even out in the EU, so have you tried it? You can actually control it with your smartdevice. ;)
Is there a different app to the one that's already there then, which is old and only shows low-res movies? I think the existing one is simply a link to the old mobile interface.

I don't know what's up with the search though, haven't used it recently. It should be using an API from Youtube for searching, so that's weird. I do know that a number of videos are disqualified from mobile / App viewing, so that they won't show up on phones, tablets, tvs etc.

I am using a US account so I downloaded the Youtube app from the US PSN store.
I didnt use the mobile/App feature, but I wanted to view the videos I wanted on my big screen. Well....there at least appears to be a problem.

I was searching for tutorial videos on Howarang to refresh some stuff in my mind about his movesets and combos. I tried "Howarang Basics" and "Howarang Tutorial".
The search results were few and gave me results for each word instead of best match.
The same search produced different results in the normal youtube site.

A first for PSN and PS+

VIAPLAY, is a service that is provided by Viasat in Scandinavian. It's basicly a Netflix for the content that Viasat usually supplies via Satellite through their own Boxes, subscription based.

Now you can download their app on the PS3 and use it as netflix, the catch is, that you need a PS3+ subscribtion to actually use it like on other platforms (PC/MAC/TABLET/SMART TV).

Yes, the one thing i hate the most about XBOX live, paying extra for something that you have to pay for.. is now a reality on the PS3. There is a limited use without PS+, you can rent movies through the VIAPLAY app :-/

http://viaplay.dk/devices/playstation3

The app is crap! It cannot do 1080p or 3d!

Cant say about 3D, but I have tried one of the videos in the categories and it looked absolutely crisp and clean, much better than what my laptop produces when I view a full screen video at the highest available resolution.
Then again I havent tried other videos found in the search function so probably those ready in the categories are high quality by default while the others arent.

The biggest issue with the app for me though currently is the search function. Totally not helpful. The Youtube app is a shadow of its other self. Its not a real Youtube in terms of functionality. Its like its a different service that happens to be called youtube

Is there a different app to the one that's already there then, which is old and only shows low-res movies? I think the existing one is simply a link to the old mobile interface.

They've updated the app since it launched. It now does HD video and is more stable. You can also register the device to be controlled by the YouTube app on Android and iOS.

Back