A comparison of PS3 and 360 as media players

I suspect they may be talking about a more complex "enabling" scenario. e.g., If my wife subscribes to NetFlix, can she, my son and myself watch NetFlix at the same time on different devices ? (i.e., 3 separate streams). I dropped my NetFlix streaming subscription long ago, so I never got around to try it.

The context for the quote:
In addition to issues of piracy and illegal access, an underlying concern for Netflix is the fact that enabling multiple users to access one account would undermine the service’s vaunted recommendation software.

... may be due to NetFlix pulling out of the UltraViolet consortium. UV is supposed to enable assorted business models for multi-user access.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-33363_1-57355230/netflix-bows-out-of-studios-ultraviolet-group/

While Netflix may maintain some low-level DECE presence in the future, the company in large part cut ties to DECE a while ago, the sources said. Netflix executives have rarely, if ever, participated in the group's planning meetings or conference calls since joining not long after DECE was formed three years ago, according to the sources.

... No one argues about what UV's main purpose is: entice consumers to start buying movies again.

As we all know, Netflix isn't about sales. Maybe the company's reluctance to participate in DECE is related to UltraViolet's apparent lack of interest in renting movies. Or perhaps Netflix sees UV as a platform positioned to level the competitive playing field among movie distributors; why would a front-runner like Netflix want to get involved with doing that?

The studios may be asking NetFlix for more fine-grained control of their streaming account.

Hard to say since they don't claim, let alone explain any such connection. You're working awful hard to explain some confused wording when the most obvious answer is bad writing.

Ah... because I understood the article on first try ! ^_^

They will need to refine their understanding of the users moving forward (just like how Amazon profile their customers). NetFlix will also expand their library, device footprint and ecosystem aggressively.

OTOH, the studios will always monitor and "guide" NetFlix's growth to manage their own bottomline (e.g., How many family members can you have in one account ? What happens if 1000 users are streaming movies from 1 account at the same time ?)

EDIT:
Brad, I see where the confusion may be.

Currently, NetFlix supports multi-device usage instead of a true multi-user/profile model. The differences are subtle but important.

Netflix pushes max number of registered Watch Instantly devices to 50
http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/06/netflix-pushes-max-number-of-registered-watch-instantly-devices/

Yo Sony, you forgot to turn Video Unlimited back on after the maintenance. I can navigate the videos, but all of them show a blank page ! ^_^

Eurogamer on the recent nerfing of 1080p video in the 360's Metro update:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-what-went-wrong-with-the-360-dash

Looks like this problem may be due to colorspace issues. Major Nelson tweeted the following...

Major Nelson said:
We’re aware of the colorspace issue w/ some Xbox video apps & are working on a fix. No ETA yet but we hope to have an update soon.

https://twitter.com/#!/majornelson/status/160150125967196161

Tommy McClain

Major Nelson, and Microsoft's general communicativeness, is one of the things I envy xbox owners the most as a PS3 owner.

Sony as a corporation seems so tight about communications, at least in English. Very frustrating.

Major Nelson, and Microsoft's general communicativeness, is one of the things I envy xbox owners the most as a PS3 owner.

Sony as a corporation seems so tight about communications, at least in English. Very frustrating.

Well to be fair haven't things gotten much, much better since the Playstation Blog's were released? I like that form of communication quite a bit, personally. And Shuhei is doing a half-decent job as well now on twitter.

What do you want Sony to communicate ? ^_^
I mean what are the questions ?

What are their plans for firmware updates? Do they give a shit about the web browser? We didn't hear any announcement about the non-forthcomingness of cross-game chat through the blog or any other user-directed communication, instead it was something Shuhei Yoshida happened to mentioned in passing during an interview.

PS3 owners have bought into the platform, but they we are treated as a target for marketing through the blog and etc. far more than invested customers with an interest in having our complaints addressed and being given insight into Sony's development plans.

What are their plans for firmware updates? Do they give a shit about the web browser? We didn't hear any announcement about the non-forthcomingness of cross-game chat through the blog or any other user-directed communication, instead it was something Shuhei Yoshida happened to mentioned in passing during an interview.

Sony does reveal high level plans and roadmaps via various tech and press channels (3D games, Playstation Suite, Game 3.0, Online Pass, Skinny app [aka WebKit SDK], ...). If WebKit browser app is not mentioned, then it's probably not coming except for Skinny apps. We can ask Shuhei I guess. Some of these things started with user speculation.

That cross game chat interview may be a planned PR exercise. Prior to that interview, their official response has always been the same "We heard you loud and clear". Other upcoming fixes/features like unlocking 3G Vita, multitasking web browser on Vita, PS3 Playstation Suite are all work-in-progress, waiting to be confirmed or denied.

We also know they do user surveys from time to time (resulting in PS+ features).

I think the first problem is they don't have a consolidated channel. Because they are organized into 3 regions and multiple levels, they can often contradict or confuse each other (See GT5 fiasco).

The second problem is: Their messaging may be inadequate because of unnecessarily complex scenarios (e.g., Vita memory card + user account tie-in). Their marketing people may not understand their own product enough to clarify issues.

In the mean time, I remember their PR head has left recently. But they should be able to find a competent spokesperson. Perhaps Shuhei can cover for a short while. ^_^

PS3 owners have bought into the platform, but they we are treated as a target for marketing through the blog and etc. far more than invested customers with an interest in having our complaints addressed and being given insight into Sony's development plans.

I agree their "Share your idea" website failed miserably. We suggested lots of ideas but nothing seems to happen. Or at least they didn't tell us what items were checked off.

But the PS Blog does clear up confusion from time to time (Talks about game patches). Sony has also reacted to user responses before (e.g., Shuhei denying Vita's memory "downsizing" rumor, Sony lowering Vita memory card prices).

I'm not sure what's so enviable about MS spending months pretending the issues don't exist and then only admitting and promising to fix half the problem.

Anyway, make sure to following the PlayStation.blog and they started a new official podcast late last year.

Netflix Q4 results: 220k new streaming-only customers, beats earnings estimates
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/25/netflix-q4-2011-earnings/

Netflix's Q4 2011 earnings report is in, and the company indicates its streaming subscriber count is now 21.67 million. DVD subscribers were still down however, although not as much as expected with cancellations peaking in September when the services split, leaving it with a total number of 24.4 million customers.

Regarding the new 56-day delay for DVDs and Blu-ray discs from Warner Bros., it "didn't like" the new terms, but decided it was more efficient to keep a direct relationship for discs than to try buying discs from retail again, and expects more "differentiated dates" from studios going forward. With its Starz deal coming to an end soon, Netflix plans to plug the content hole by licensing some of the movies from Encore directly from the studios, and the kid-friendly Disney fare with flicks like The Adventures of Tin Tin and Rango from Paramount (via Epix) until its new Dreamworks deal takes effect in 2013. Interestingly, it also comments that "content is a differentiator", and that it's "increasingly" licensing content exclusively to fight its true competition, TV Everywhere services like HBO Go.

Paramount Movies lets you stream UltraViolet films from the cloud, for a price
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/25/paramount-movies-lets-you-stream-ultraviolet-films-from-the-clou/

Paramount became the first studio to offer digital versions of UltraViolet-based movies this week, with the launch of Paramount Movies. With this new service, users can purchase a film in either digital or physical form, and automatically store a copy of it within Paramount's cloud-based digital locker. This effectively allows you to stream a film to any iOS device, though support for Android and Windows Phone remains unavailable (as does compatibility with most set-top boxes). It's all part of DECE's "buy once, play anywhere" ethos, though it should be noted that the studio's UV offerings are somewhat limited. At the moment, Paramount Movies boasts about 60 titles, all of which are available at comparatively steep prices: $20 for HD quality movies, and $13 for SD versions. ...

Heh heh, still not "play anywhere". :devilish:
No offline viewing for the digital copy too. >_<

Paramount Movies lets you stream UltraViolet films from the cloud, for a price
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/25/paramount-movies-lets-you-stream-ultraviolet-films-from-the-clou/

Heh heh, still not "play anywhere". :devilish:
No offline viewing for the digital copy too. >_<

So not play anywhere, no offline viewing, and $20. In comparison I've been buying blurays for years now for $6 to $12 and making my own portable versions that work on every single device me and my wife own, online and off. Looks like ultraviolet is dead before it started.

Which is what these companies never realise, and so they deserve to suffer. If this carries on, UV will crash and the idea of a unified VOD system will probably die with it, and we'll have stupid fragmenting, competing platforms causing us headaches forever.

What you guys all fail to realize is that you can't just let people go enjoying the content you're selling all willy-nilly. As soon as you do that, BAM!, they become pirates and you completely lose out on any potential revenue you could have gotten from them. It's a known fact.

Back