A comparison of PS3 and 360 as media players

It's not the first time they conduct this trial, but this may be the largest one to date.

The industry will continue to tune the overall price structure to maximize profit, and minimize impact to their existing channels. The new package is great for families who already subscribe to cable. Not sure if they are going to open this up for non subscribers. I believe NetFlix and other streaming services have also negotiated earlier streaming dates with on-demand streaming companies that have the rights. I think NetFlix CEO mentioned last week that 37% of young people who tried NetFlix dropped their cable plans. The "day and date" streaming will be another feature to fight over by the same companies.

The theater business has stagnated over the years, and physical rental has gone down to 1- 1.50 bucks per night. Studios are worried that the latter will cheapen the movies. Some studio divisions are pursuing "day and date" streaming very aggressively. Sony and Disney are some of the most aggressive ones. I guess that's why they have already set up sophisticated DRM platforms like KeyChest and Qriocity.

It should not be difficult to add this option to existing Blu-Ray players too when they go for a wider launch. The standardized software stack there should help to make it cheaper to support. People who prefer ownership may be affected but it's largely seen by the studios as a separate market.

He's already given a description of costs earlier in ths forum somewhere. Something like $12 a ticket for 4 tickets, plus driving and parking, plus exhorbitant foods when you get to the cinema, or something. Certainly £25 could be equivalent for a 3 adult tickets in the UK, so a group of friends would typically be more economically served watching at home. Plus it's not going to be to damned loud like cinemas, you won't have heads in the way, you can chat through it if it's a silly film that warrants nit-picking, etc. Unless the big screen does it for you, this strikes me as the better experience.

I'm not being facetious I would definitely pay $30 for a first-run at home. For those that are on my friendslist I'm sure you can ask them what it is I do most of the time on my 360 and the answer would be, tv shows...movies...tv shows...games.

Scenarios:

Scenario 1 this is when it is just the wife and me - $35 tickets + $30 childcare + food/drinks (alcoholic beverages) our typical food/drink bill at the theatre has been ~$60 (not including tip) = $125

Scenario 2 this is where we typically go as a family (we haven't been to showplace icon as a family yet): $29 tickets + $18 parking + $35 food/drinks = $82

Very interesting. In my early comment I stated that this probably isn't targeted at the primary movie going demographic, based on its price. I think I may have underestimated just how big of an audience this could be viable for (which is pretty much any family of 3 or more that also has cable TV).

Unless the big screen does it for you, this strikes me as the better experience.

I could imagine a family with a nice HDTV having a much better experience at home with this option then the hassle of "movie night". I know I do (but personally couldn't quite justify the cost of this rental since it would typically be for just 1 or 2).

Last edited by a moderator:
I could imagine a family with a nice HDTV having a much better experience at home with this option then the hassle of "move night". I know I do (but personally couldn't quite justify the cost of this rental since it would typically be for just 1 or 2).
I think that's it exactly. Although there becomes an issue for cinemas that if a large part of their audience desides to stay at home, it won't be economically viable to run theatres for the few who will go, meaning a potential collapse of the industry and eventually everyone will have to rent at home. That should also increase Home Cinema sales as without the option of the giant THX certified screen and sounds, people will need to upgrade their home gear to get a better experience.

Well, cinema displaced theatre and left many variety acts unemployable. History suggests the newfangled talkies will change too, and the end of small theatres of any kind looks to be on the cards, with theatre itself becomg a home for stage productions once again.

I think that's it exactly. Although there becomes an issue for cinemas that if a large part of their audience desides to stay at home, it won't be economically viable to run theatres for the few who will go, meaning a potential collapse of the industry and eventually everyone will have to rent at home. That should also increase Home Cinema sales as without the option of the giant THX certified screen and sounds, people will need to upgrade their home gear to get a better experience.

Well, cinema displaced theatre and left many variety acts unemployable. History suggests the newfangled talkies will change too, and the end of small theatres of any kind looks to be on the cards, with theatre itself becomg a home for stage productions once again.

I was beginning to wonder if a similar trend could happen, as well, due to options like this. Movie theaters shifting towards smaller, more intimate, and higher quality experiences (for singles and couples) while families shift to watching movie premieres at home. Take, for example, some of the theaters out in Chicago that offer private booths and in movie dining that are reserved for the 18+ crowd (or it may be 21). I forget what chain it is (and they're not showing adult cinema, just your standard movie lineup at any other theater). That would definitely have an overall negative effect in terms of revenue, as the potential demographic for that is much smaller. Total number of theaters too, I suspect would drastically decrease. But, with the higher quality and higher customer expectations comes a higher ticket price. So while the overall audience would be smaller, I think there's room for someone to carve out a profitable niche if handled properly. Personally, that's pretty much what it would take to drag me back out to theaters.

Very interesting. In my early comment I stated that this probably isn't targeted at the primary movie going demographic, based on its price. I think I may have underestimated just how big of an audience this could be viable for (which is pretty much any family of 3 or more that also has cable TV).

At $30 it would be good for two people as well, as that's basically the cost of two tickets and a single drink going to a theater. Add in gas, a second drink and crappier theater quality, and $30 to watch it on a home setup isn't that bad for two people, so long as it's a day and date release with the theater.

Cinema outing is a different experience. Usually it's an all evening affair for us (when we didn't have kid(s)). Dine in good restaurants, shopping and then relax in the cinema.

And yes, in China where the movies are widely pirated (read: almost free), the cinemas are expensive dating sites. I heard they have more expensive couches/loveseats at the back for couples.

At $30 it would be good for two people as well, as that's basically the cost of two tickets and a single drink going to a theater. Add in gas, a second drink and crappier theater quality, and $30 to watch it on a home setup isn't that bad for two people

Good point. The numbers would seem to work for 2 people as well. Although I don't think ticket prices are quite that bad where I'm at yet.

so long as it's a day and date release with the theater.

Which raises an interesting question. What's the market size for day-and-date releases versus 1+ to 2+ weeks after release? I honestly don't know. How many families go to movie premieres within the first couple of days? How many try to go within the first week? How many, if they can't make it within a week or 2, simply don't bother anymore and wait for the home release? Would be interesting to see the data for that (if there is any, which I assume there is somewhere).

And yes, in China where the movies are widely pirated (read: almost free), the cinemas are expensive dating sites. I heard they have more expensive couches/loveseats at the back for couples.

That's actually pretty close to what I was referring to. I should have said love-seat instead of booth since that's what I originally meant. Is that pretty much the standard there for movie theaters (in terms of layout/design)?

From EDGE Online.
Sony Computer Entertainment Australia has announced the rollout of Yahoo!7's catch-up TV service PLUS7 on PS3.
The company said that the new PlayStation Network offering, which allows users to watch full length episodes of TV shows, is “the first commercial catch-up TV service to be optimised for viewing with PS3”...

That's actually pretty close to what I was referring to. I should have said love-seat instead of booth since that's what I originally meant. Is that pretty much the standard there for movie theaters (in terms of layout/design)?

Sadly, I don't have a girl friend or mistress in China to verify personally. :(
But yes, from what I heard, it's pretty standard to have love seats in the cinemas in China. Don't quote me on that though, 'specially when my wife may pick up the iPad and see my B3D posts (Hi honey~ )

What may be more interesting is will all these media services interoperate with DECE at some point.

Sadly, I don't have a girl friend or mistress in China to verify personally. :(
But yes, from what I heard, it's pretty standard to have love seats in the cinemas in China. Don't quote me on that though, 'specially when my wife may pick up the iPad and see my B3D posts (Hi honey~ )

What may be more interesting is will all these media services interoperate with DECE at some point.

The newly built cinemas I experienced in China did not have those seats. Cinemas were also very popular, not just by people dating.

I see. Is it still expensive ? Most chinese I spoke to said it's not worth it. May be their spending power has increased to a level where they want a better experience than pirated movies ? :)

EDIT: Wait, I didn't mean to imply only lovers go to the cinemas. But I was told they do have love seats for couples and it's common. Is this still true ?

NetFlix on PS3 impressions:
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/112/1122781p1.html

Getting back to the PS3 experience, the application itself is under 20MB and downloads within seconds. Once installed, the Netflix icon nestles itself under the Video tab on the XMB. There is a one-month trial that enables you to sign up for Netflix rather quickly through your computer or through the PS3 application itself. After an initial 15- to 30-second load time while it compiles its library of titles, you're able to get on and start browsing the selection of movies and television.

The interface works a bit differently than playing a regular video through the XMB. The X button still works as the pause/play button, but there is no fast-forward or rewind on the L2/R2 buttons. Instead you can shuffle through the video using left and right on the d-pad.

One major change from the American Netflix DVD is that while running this application you do in fact stay signed into your PSN account. I was able to bring up the XMB and check my friend's list whenever I wanted, even while running the video in the background.

I was beginning to wonder if a similar trend could happen, as well, due to options like this. Movie theaters shifting towards smaller, more intimate, and higher quality experiences (for singles and couples) while families shift to watching movie premieres at home. Take, for example, some of the theaters out in Chicago that offer private booths and in movie dining that are reserved for the 18+ crowd (or it may be 21). I forget what chain it is (and they're not showing adult cinema, just your standard movie lineup at any other theater). That would definitely have an overall negative effect in terms of revenue, as the potential demographic for that is much smaller. Total number of theaters too, I suspect would drastically decrease. But, with the higher quality and higher customer expectations comes a higher ticket price. So while the overall audience would be smaller, I think there's room for someone to carve out a profitable niche if handled properly. Personally, that's pretty much what it would take to drag me back out to theaters.

We really love the experiences at both muvico and showplace icon (both 21+ for the premium seating). Having a nice cheese spread with assorted meats a rum and coke certainly beats out the 2 dogs and a standard Coke. We are like you the standard movie theatre experience just wasn't/isn't for us. I would ditch both of these places though if I were offered the ability to watch first-runs at home though. As far as Disney goes my personally biased hope is that they trial with a Marvel property...I mean why else would I have voted in the pro for the Disney Marvel merger there certainly hasn't been anything outstanding to come from the deal as of yet...........

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/3065..._Downloaded_Content_Through_Game_Consoles.php

NPD Group said Tuesday that there is still a "large and untapped" market for connected devices and digital content, with only 6 percent of U.S. consumers having downloaded content through game consoles.

"What we learned in our research is that while some people already experience the world in a connected way, most do not," said NPD VP and senior entertainment analyst Russ Crupnick. He said that most people that access digital content aren't looking for the "flashiest apps," but are still performing basic online tasks like email and web browsing.

NPD added that 75 percent of U.S. consumers aged 13 and older did not connect or download content in the prior three months.

Aside from the 6 percent of U.S. consumers that downloaded content through a video game console, only 15 percent connected and downloaded content via PC or Mac, 4 percent through a smartphone and 2 percent through a connected Blu-ray player or digital player like Apple TV or Roku.

That doesn't mean that there isn't growing demand for more entertainment-focused digital content like gaming -- the low adoption rate of "flashier" applications means there's plenty of market opportunities for even more connected devices and digital content, NPD said.

Interesting Blu-ray and PS3 stats:
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blu-ray-disc/blu-ray-household-penetration-tops-17-20731

The number of U.S. households with at least one Blu-ray Disc player has doubled since 2008, reaching 17% in July, according to a new report.

Though less than one-in-five homes, the percentage exceeds the domestic household penetration of Netflix, which is about 15%. DVD household penetration exceeds 95%, still ranking as the top consumer electronics product launch in history. Indeed, Apple-based computers, at the end of 2009 and prior to the launch of the iPad, had 12% household penetration compared to 85% for Windows-based computers, according to The NPD Group.

A Centris research note found that among Blu-ray households, nearly equal percentages (45% and 47%) watch discs on a Blu-ray player or Sony PlayStation 3 with a BD drive.

Overall DVD purchases and rentals continue to lead Blu-ray, but each Blu-ray household rents and buys discs in greater numbers than DVD households, according to the report. The format continues to be the format of choice for younger, wealthier households with children.

Indeed, Centris found that 85% of Blu-ray households own a HDTV and video game system (75%) compared to 62% among DVD households (47%).

[a few more stats below]

New PS3 Media Server beta released:
http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/

Updated beta builds available for Windows, Linux! OSX coming soon. Should be stable enough for day to day usage. You can try the old 1.10.5 stable build (check Downloads section) if you have some troubles, but a few functions are not working anymore with the latest ps3 firmware.

Sony Insider has step by step setup instructions:
http://www.sonyinsider.com/2010/10/06/the-ps3-is-a-great-media-center/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/07/...rs-can-use-xbox-360-as-a-set-top-box-startin/

If you'd given up hope of using your 360 to watch AT&T U-Verse after over three years of waiting, we wouldn't think any less of you; but for those still holding on to the dream of one less set-top box under the TV, this latest tip says the wait is all but over. As you can see from the internal memo above, a so-called Wired Release will roll out to AT&T U-Verse customers next Sunday, and it'll bring the long awaited feature with it (though you'll have to wait until November 7th for that particular aspect). This means AT&T U-verse customer's Xbox 360 will have a Dashboard app, and when launched, it'll let it function exactly like any other U-verse set-top. The only major catch is that it can't be the only set-top -- you'll need at least one DVR at another TV in the house to enjoy one of the four HD streams that could be funneled into your home.

Update: A second anonymous tipster has chimed in with some interesting slides -- looks like your Xbox will need a hard drive!

Back