720p to 1080i convertion

Peppermonkey said:
What is the cheapest thing that'll convert 720p to 1080i?

AFAIK, there is no such product available in the casual consumer market, I only know that a few pro-stuffs that may be able to do it, but they cost more than an arm and a leg.

Nothing? Absolutely nothing? So if I have an HDTV that doesn't support 720p, I'm screwed? That's not cool.

BTW, what ARE the prices on these things...

Peppermonkey said:
Nothing? Absolutely nothing? So if I have an HDTV that doesn't support 720p, I'm screwed? That's not cool.

BTW, what ARE the prices on these things...

The one that came off my head right now is at US$50K, but it did more than scan conversion, you won't want to buy it.

May be the market is still very small for such a product (no matter high-end or low-end), no one want to produce anything at a low price yet, only niche and pro devices exists at the moment.

Ozymandis said:
Some HDTVs (Sony's) supposedly upconvert 720p into 1080i :)

Some displays will scale, but just for displaying, ha ha !

Especially those digital panel based displays.

The chance to get cheaper (only can say cheaper, I don't think they can be cheap at this moment) devices may be with the Plasma displays input processors that I've mentioned before, there are a couple of them bundling with the Plasma displays, they scale the input for the Plasma displays.

I already HAVE an HDTV, it just doesn't support 720p. I wanted something that'll convert it to 1080i so I don't lose quite as much info as if I converted it to 480p.

What you are talking about isn't sensible. Stick with 480p for gaming, or buy a new HDTV. Sony's HDTV would cost you less than a scaler that could perform what you want.

Buying a new HDTV will not be an option since I just got it...

Doesn't Sony's TVs upconvert 720p to 1080i?

I want to know the cheapest thing Sony has that's near 42" and supports a 720p input.

It doesn't have an input for HD-Component and converts to 1080i. But it does convert 720p HDTV broadcast to 1080i, a friend of mine had that one.

Ah, makes sense. Like I said, know very little about these thing - have no need to as it's likely we'll have progressed to holo technology before Europe introduces HDTV.

Back