An original Xbox can do Doom 3 at 720p natively with extra RAM

Oh no the multiquoting has begun. This stuff is so not worth that effort and stress. :D

On the XBox topic though I've been waiting forever for an HDMI mod but I don't think any have come to fruition like UltraHDMI for N64.

Last edited:
These PS2 generation discussions are much more interesting than current gen consoles, atleast for me. I dont think its a negative discussion really, not the posts with Nesh atleast. No personal attackings etc, both have their points and truth to it.

And thats the thing with these ports. SH2 and MGS2 did quite well on the Xbox. Wrecked/Chaos Theory for example didnt really look like the same game on the PS2. The best measure would be multiplatform games, and these almost always ran better on the Xbox, with often the PS2 being the lead platform (developer ERP witnessed this on this forum).

The PS2 for sure was holding its own looking at its hardware, alot had to do with studios pushing everything they could out of the hardware. The PS2's architecture allowed for some effects not seen on other platforms, however thats not the whole picture.

Thats with every discussion. The PS2 was capable for its time, even looking at a late 2000 launch window (when i got mine). It did things my PC couldnt, but alot also alot of things the PS2 couldnt that the pc could. For a 299 console though, yeah, it was a killer value in special with regards to the extreme amount of exclusives it got, its the most impressive library of any console to date and will remain that forever probably. We had not one GoW no two. GT3 and 4, three GTAs timed exclusive, MGS2 and 3, ratched and clank..... three versions?`Then there was things like Okami, SotC, jak & daxter, the Sly series, SOCOM games.... one could go on forever.
Ghost Hunter (late ps2 game) probably put the system through its paces the most.

The hardware was a success, it would have been with a different architecture too. Devs and studios would have found their ways around the hw in a console as popular as the PS2. So no, in hindsight i wouldnt think Sony should have done things differently since the ps2 turned out the most successfull console for them or anyone. Its not so much about the HW, its about the games and developers to it.

Right, its called NV2A, it could be a variant of the GF3, but at the same time its quite close to a GF4 due to the added vertex shader and other GF4 and even GF5 features.
On that last, GF3 was probably abit of a risk to take for Sony. GF3's where supposedly ready/in stock during late 2000 but since there was still GF2's in stock NV decided to delay the new chip. Some sort of variant of GF3 could have been possible for a late 2000 release perhaps, negating the Japan march release (good thing that doesnt happen anymore lol).
I dont think you are discussing this on the actually point made. All your arguments are fitting if we are discussing which one is the most powerful which is the XBOX which isnt what we are discussing

On the XBox topic though I've been waiting forever for an HDMI mod but I don't think any have come to fruition like UltraHDMI for N64.

I've seen some amazing HDMI mods for OG Xbox, what features are you looking for specially that current mods don't offer?

I've seen some amazing HDMI mods for OG Xbox, what features are you looking for specially that current mods don't offer?
Actually I just hadn't looked into it in a long time. I was on the Chimeric Systems wait list but never heard from them. I see Xbox HD+ is out (if somewhat hard to find) and that looks great. I'm trying to decide if I'm motivated enough to invest in and install that. At the moment I use my old Xbox HDAV box and a converter. Haven't been using the Xbox much this year though.

Have you used any of them?

Actually I just hadn't looked into it in a long time. I was on the Chimeric Systems wait list but never heard from them. I see Xbox HD+ is out (if somewhat hard to find) and that looks great. I'm trying to decide if I'm motivated enough to invest in and install that. At the moment I use my old Xbox HDAV box and a converter. Haven't been using the Xbox much this year though.

Have you used any of them?

I've not owned an Xbox with an HDMI mod no as I use them on a CRT, my brother has used one for around 4 months before selling his Xbox on due to lack of use.

He didn't fit it though, he got someone on a Facebook group to mod the Xbox for him (Add HDMI + 128 RAM Upgrade + 1TB HDD + 720p games patched)

I remember him paying a small fortune for it, he used it on a 43inch plasma TV that had a native resolution of 720p so display scaling was kept to a minimum. It had a really good imagine to be honest but I don't think it was worth the cost.

Last edited:
I haven't used any of the internal HDMI mods for Xbox either, but honestly, I never really saw the point. Xbox has some of the best video output of any console from that generation already. It's great looking on a CRT and all of the mods I've seen disable analog output, so that's a minus for them right there. That also means you can't use a light gun for House of the Dead 3, Silent Scope or Starsky and Hutch.

I have use the Hyperkin HDMI adapter. The one that's officially licensed. It's OK, especially if your TV doesn't have component inputs or handles analog input poorly. Not sure I can even justify the price for that to be honest, because component looks good enough for me and I usually play Xbox on a CRT.

lol no it wasn't.
Did you just forget the OG Xbox was a UMA system where everything is shared before lashing out?. But then again I'm replying to people who think the Xbox can run the effects Metal gear solid port did on the PS2 with impolding.

Cry more.

I haven't used any of the internal HDMI mods for Xbox either, but honestly, I never really saw the point. Xbox has some of the best video output of any console from that generation already. It's great looking on a CRT and all of the mods I've seen disable analog output, so that's a minus for them right there. That also means you can't use a light gun for House of the Dead 3, Silent Scope or Starsky and Hutch.

I have use the Hyperkin HDMI adapter. The one that's officially licensed. It's OK, especially if your TV doesn't have component inputs or handles analog input poorly. Not sure I can even justify the price for that to be honest, because component looks good enough for me and I usually play Xbox on a CRT.

While it's certainly better than the other consoles of the time, I think my v1.0 outputs 4:2:0. It's most noticeable with red which can look pixilated sometimes. Though one could see this as just part of the experience. But the output also seems a bit dim to me. I figure a purely digital RGB HDMI output that bypasses the old Conexant encoder chip would be a nice improvement. But I don't know if I care enough to get into it.

Apparently that UltraHD+ mod doesn't require the removal of the original AV port if you are willing to cut a new hole in the case.

UltraHDMI for the N64 has completely awesome clarity and cool options but half the time I just wish I had a CRT around. That has dulled some of the dream of this purely digital nonsense heh.

Last edited:
Did you just forget the OG Xbox was a UMA system where everything is shared before lashing out?. But then again I'm replying to people who think the Xbox can run the effects Metal gear solid port did on the PS2 with impolding.

Cry more.

UMA doesn't mean that the GPU only had 50% of the bandwidth. You said to mavox01 :

"Are you still being dense about the fact the Xbox only has 6.4GB/s which 50% was for the CPU/Non gaming tasks. "

And that's not true. You might want to be careful about calling other people dense. 🤷‍♂️

Woah. What did I walk into? And why so much built up hostility over ancient plastic game consoles?

If you can't keep things civil and friendly you will have your posting privileges revoked.

Back