50cc scooter

digitalwanderer

wandering
Legend
So I found out recently that we've decided to sell my car... :???:

Many reasons, primarily being it's getting ready to fall apart and the dealer is offering to buy it off of us; but it's a "we" decision and not a "my" decision so I'm a little disgruntled.

To make up for it I've decided I want to get a 50cc scooter for me and the kids. In Indiana a gas scooter of up to 50cc is legally considered the same as a bicycle, so it seems like a fun/good/sort of crazy idea.

Any recommendations? I know nothing about scooters. I used to have an old moped back in the 80s during a drivers license suspension that I loved to pieces, but scooters seem better and even more fun.

I'm not looking for crazy fast, just decent and solid.

For a start 50cc scooters (known as mopeds over here) can't go crazy fast. You'll be limited to about 35-40mph.

I guess you'll be limited to what the hell you can get over there. I know there's a smattering of Piaggio riders, so there must be a few dealers.

Get a Nissan DELL...

or a Yamaha C3

2416491_1961_full.jpg

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/529/0/home.aspx

http://blog.cardomain.com/2008/06/11/yamaha-c3-giggl/

For a start 50cc scooters (known as mopeds over here) can't go crazy fast. You'll be limited to about 35-40mph.

This is almost certainly due to artificial restrictions. Here in Denmark all mopeds comes with a ring/washer in the CVR gearbox that restricts top speed to 30mph. Removing this normally gives a top speed of 45-50 mph. A simple exhaust mod and you're doing 60.

Cheers

35-40mph is fine for me, that's fast enough. Thanks for the linkage RudeCurve, those look much more like something I could afford. :)

This is almost certainly due to artificial restrictions. Here in Denmark all mopeds comes with a ring/washer in the CVR gearbox that restricts top speed to 30mph. Removing this normally gives a top speed of 45-50 mph. A simple exhaust mod and you're doing 60.

Cheers

This is indeed true. You can do the same thing here. Get the 50cc moped destricted. Not legal to ride if you're still on L plates but otherwise fine.

Buy a bicycle

Cheaper and you get to be in good shape for your wife. You looking better than your wife can help turn the "We" decisions more into "We=me" decisions in the future.

Buy a bicycle

Cheaper and you get to be in good shape for your wife. You looking better than your wife can help turn the "We" decisions more into "We=me" decisions in the future.

He can always get a power assist bike :) That should keep his ticker in better condition.

Back