3DS got two ARM11s

Epic says 3DS not powerful enough for the unreal engine.

"You couldn't do a game that looks like [Epic Citadel] on it, for example."
"....but I think if they considered that our engine would be good on it, they would have probably talked to us about it," Rein said."

To come out this early so negative, he's either very sure even though they havn't seen a device yet, or suggests epic has been somehow snubbed.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/for...dos-3DS-Specs-Too-Low-for-Epics-Unreal-Engine
Very selective quoting. Rein assumes that the device is not powerful enough (which might or might not be correct - judging by Capcoms 3DS stuff, I have my doubts). They don't have devkits, they don't know the specs, and they haven't even talked to Nintendo.

This is what he actually says:

Mark Rein said:
“It’s below our [minimum specs], from what we can tell. We don’t have a 3DS, so there’s no way for us to verify that, but everything we’ve been led to believe is that it’s below our min-spec. You couldn’t do a game that looks like [Epic Citadel for iPhone] on it, for example.”

We really don’t know enough about it to make a formal comment, but I think if they considered that our engine would be good on it, they would have probably talked to us about it.”

Epic simply hasn't received any devkits, and are probably going by what IGN said in their article.

Basically the GPU doesn't support OpenGL ES 2.0 so it doesn't fit their engine as is, which we all knew anyway. The only new bit of info there is that Nintendo aren't actively looking to get UE3 ported on to 3DS at the moment, which isn't exactly surprising.

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically the GPU doesn't support OpenGL ES 2.0 so it doesn't fit their engine as is, which we all knew anyway. The only new bit of info there is that Nintendo aren't actively looking to get UE3 ported on to 3DS at the moment, which isn't exactly surprising.
Are you talking about the PICA200 fixed function pipeline? Aren't there programable vertex shaders?

Are you talking about the PICA200 fixed function pipeline? Aren't there programable vertex shaders?
Yes, there are programmable vertex shaders (and geo shaders, which is a D3D10.1 feature as far as I know). There are no programmable pixel shaders, though. Not in a traditional sense. But DMP does offer software to "translate" pixel shaders to Maestro code. And a simple point and click software suite to create real Maestro shaders on PCs, complete with emulation of those effects.

If they can do anything "full resolution" it'd be 800x240, not 800x480. I have never heard anything about 800x480, and there'd be no reason why the 3D mode couldn't support 400x480 then.

I doubt the display has 480 lines.

I've heard 240 lines too. I even googled it.

And the devs wouldnt be able to access a full 800*240 in 2D mode, the screen itself sends every other vertical strip of pixels to the other eye.

They'd still have 400*240, with both eyes getting the same image. Which explains why Capcom said RE on it would get AA in 2D mode, it has double the GPU power to use.

I'm not going with the ends justifying the means on this one. Just because Nintendo has reigned supreme on gaming handhelds since their inception it doesn't justify every decision they've made. Okay, for Nintendo's short term bottom line it does, but as far as the userbase is concerned it's in our better interests for companies to be pushing technology forward and not just getting away with what they can get away with.

Agreed completely.

Back