3DLabs P20 Announced

"No Boundaries" indeed!

Prices? Please please please be similar to the Wildcat VP
prices. *crosses fingers*

I was just reading about the QuadroFX 4000 and thinking
that 3dlabs will never keep up.. I've changed my mind! :)

I like the way they've brought back the old Intergraph
Realizm name too. A nod to the past and their colleagues. :)

Review?

Benchmarks?

Sxotty said:
So is it going to be agp or pci-e? It says both, but is it just going to have a bridge chip?

Seems to me that the dual VPU+VSU board will be PCI-E (thru the VSU) whereas the single VPU version will be AGP8x only.

This is mine favorit part:

For example, at the time of this writing, the highest reported performance score for the industry-standard ViewPerf UGS benchmark is 44 frames-per-second (FPS). By comparison, Wildcat Realizm Technology will more that double this performance and set a new industry standard.
And if you take look at this benchmarks you can imagine how powerfull is Realizm, at leas at OGL:

http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040419/cpu-scaling-10.html

Does anyone knows NV40 scores in those tests?

OMG P20 ! :oops:

will be interesting to read everything on P20.

I haven't read a thing yet on it, just saw this thread moments ago.

I hope they go consumer :eek:

3DLabs really needs to get back into the consumer market and fast before both Nv and ATi outspend it in R&D. Nv40 R&D cost like billion dollars and the prices will only go up so I don't see how 3DLabs can catch up to that. CAD market is small compared to gamer's market. Even if you hike up the prices on CAD parts, imo. How high do you think you can go before CAD folks replace expensive prof. parts with off the shelf consumer cards like they've been doing lately? They're also happier with consumer drivers of all things. CAD market is changing, it isn't like it used to be.

I would be extremely suprised if it's not PS3.0. 3dLabs is the originator the GLSLang proposal. It would be ironic if their own chips lack the features to fully implement it efficiently.

Hell, I'd half expect 3dLabs to ship hardware support for Perlin Noise :)

I wouldn't be surprised. Do they support ps2? All I remember was some d3d ps1.3 in their vp line.

JD said:
I wouldn't be surprised. Do they support ps2? All I remember was some d3d ps1.3 in their vp line.

Well here is what thay say:

'Wildcat Realizm technology will support OpenGL 1.5, which includes OpenGL Shading Language and DirectX 9.VS 2.x/PS 3.x, which support the Microsoft HLSL. Graphics accelerators based on Wildcat Realizm technology will also fully support OpenGL 2.0 when the new API is released in mid-2004'

Don't know about you lads, but for me this is more exciting then NV40!

Well here is what thay say:

'Wildcat Realizm technology will support OpenGL 1.5, which includes OpenGL Shading Language and DirectX 9.VS 2.x/PS 3.x, which support the Microsoft HLSL. Graphics accelerators based on Wildcat Realizm technology will also fully support OpenGL 2.0 when the new API is released in mid-2004'

Don't know about you lads, but for me this is more exciting then NV40!

hmmm.

I find it odd that they have PS 3.x, yet only VS 2.x

you'd think it might be the other way around: VS 3.x and PS 2.x since pixel shaders are suppose to be more complex.

now iirc, the P10 had VS 2.0 and PS 1.x which makes sense.

would like to see some confirmation from some other source. guess that will come in time.

cool about PS 3.x 8)

There is nothing odd about VS 2.0/PS 3.0 combination. Will need to wait DX Next for unified Shader architecture, so for time being it is OK to have different VS/PS specifications. You need PS 3.0 spec for full 32bit FP precision, but for VS operations VS 2.0 is just fine! So this is clever way for transistor saving. Anyvay if there's to be gamers board I'm positive that'll lack VSU, and lack of VSU will significantly lower perf. To bad! Maybe HighEnd consumer card will have VSU!?

demalion said:
Hmm...

1) I wonder how they count transistors. What I read indicates there is a separate VSU that can scale with multiple VPUs, and the VPU is listed as 150 million :!:.
Probably much less pixel pipelines than the R420 or the NV40. Perhaps they're counting on multiple-VPU solutions to offset this (they're advertising that capability, after all). Alone, one of the VPUs may not be particularily powerful as compared to ATI's and NVidia's solutions, but more than one combined. . .

Back