[360/PS3] Call of Duty: Black Ops

Speaking of money grubbing, why did Activision wait so long to release a map pack? Seems like a lot of people who would have otherwise bought it had already moved on.

I never cared about boosting either. I just hated getting dicked over by stupid balancing/bug issues like getting knifed from halfway across the map and those goddamn dual John Wayne shotguns.

Maybe because Activision was too busy inappropriately firing the top two employees causing a ripple effect of disgust and mistrust to ensue where 100% of the writers, 82% of the leads/directors, 80% of the engineers, 74% of the designers and scripters, 40% of the animators, mocap, and technical animators and 36% of artists and concept artists left. [Citation].

Kind of hard to even do map packs when you have to bring in an external development firm to do the work.

But don't worry, they were working on the milking of the market with COD:Black Ops map packs at least 6 months before the game is even available at retail.

I'm sure COD: Black Ops will be a great game. :rolleyes:

http://www.cynicalsmirk.com/who_remains_at_infinity_ward.html
Unconfirmed report that Raven Software tasked to designing Call of Duty: Black Ops map packs. If this winds up being true, the question is, why? Treyarch, one of the studios under Activision who deal with the Call of Duty franchise, are working on the Black Ops game that is slated for release in November this year. So why aren't Treyarch developing the map packs for their game? Perhaps Activision want to shift Treyarch people over to the Modern Warfare 3 game ASAP to bolster what remains of Infinity Ward and meet a release cycle for 2011 rather than have them work on extra maps? Again, this is all pure speculation on my part. I am not a game developer but it just seems "off" that they would bring in another studio when there is still five months and change for Treyarch to finish Black Ops. I've never heard of anything else like this before.

Also, if this is true, that would mean Infinity Ward, Treyarch, Sledgehammer Games and now Raven Software all simultaneously working on something related to the Call of Duty franchise. That squeezing sound you hear is Activision milking a franchise dry.

Treyarch looks like they are trying to fix a lot of what IW screwed up in MW2 IMO.

they are getting rid of the noob tube perks (jerks) who use OMA to rearm and grenade launch and lay 12 Mine traps per life. They are also eliminating commando and limiting Tactical insertion and marathon.

They are making the game more balanced and more in line with earlier versions with all of the fun still there but less of the aggravating OMA run and knife dual shotgun nonsense,.

No Danger Close/Fireworks/Sonic Boom equivalent. No OMA. No Commando. No Stopping Power. No Juggernaut. No Deathstreaks.
Secondaries are pistols, crossbow, and launchers.
Ninja is back in tier 3. Bling is back as Overlord in tier 2.
Killstreaks do not count toward others ones.
Deployable Equipment - Camera Spike. C4. TI. Jammer. Motion sensor. Claymore.
Tier One Perks - Lightweight. Scavenger. Ghost. Flak Jacket. Hardline.
Tier Two Perks - Hardened. Scout. Steady Aim. Sleight of Hand. Warlord.
Tier Three - Marathon. Ninja. Second Chance. Hacker. Tactical Mask.
Lethal Grenades - Tomahawk. Frag. Semtex.
Tactical Grenades - Willy Pete. Nova Gas. Flash Bang. Concussion. Decoy. Willy Pete is smoke.
Launchers - M72. RPG. Strela. China Lake.

Some info from UK games magazine:
Create a tag and etch it into your weapons.
Can customize your sights and clips too.
An addition to multiplayer is currency, which you then use to buy new weapons, uniforms, and accessories.
New mode called Wager Match chooses a random mode from One in the Chamber, Sharpshooter, Sticks and Stones, and Gun Game. You wager your own currency.
One in the Chamber - You have one bullet and a knife, and every kill you get gives you another bullet.
Sharpshooter - You are given a random weapon, so you either get a overpowered, or underpowered weapon.
Sticks and Stones - You have a Crossbow, Ballistic Knife, and Tomahawk. Crossbow and Ballistic Knife kills give you points, Tomahawk kills don't.
Gun Game - You start off with a bad weapon, but every kill upgrades your weapon. The first to reach the 20'th gun wins.
Points such as headshots, and other bonuses are added to the team score in TDM.
They played 3 maps - Radiation (set in a power station), Summit (snowbound mountain base), Launch (missile base - the rocket will lift off during gameplay, and fry anyone underneath).
The Five Ways That Black Ops Changes Call of Duty Multiplayer

Quote:
No. 1) Combat Training
So Treyarch has come to the same conclusion as ****: not enough players actually go online. Despite the fact that COD hosts a thriving multiplayer community, the developers found out that a huge percentage of COD players simply never go online for multiplayer. The first major method the team wants to fix this with is through Combat Training, a sort of bot-match mode. For players who indeed are too intimidated to go online and test their mettle against other players, Combat Training will let them play against the A.I. and get used to the multiplayer experience. Online director Dan Bunting comments that the mode grew from the team's internal use of an A.I. bot (named "Larry") for balancing purposes, and they decided to let players go against Larry before jumping into the real world.
No. 2) Customization
Modern Warfare might have introduced character classes with Perks and whatnot, and while Black Ops retains that same basic formula, the team has made some distinct changes to the character system. The key thought behind customization is the idea that the player should truly feel distinct and individualized, and the degree to what can be changed has increased significantly.

For one thing, there're the obvious visual changes that come from selecting a base class. Choosing a flak jacket fellow gives you a different character model than choosing a stealthy ghost guy. After that, the team has further changed the way your armament works; gear is now divided into "lethal" (anything that can kill, like grenades), "tactical" (things that give you information, like a radar sweep or somesuch), and "equipment" (items that can be deployed, or picked up, such as gun turrets).

Further than that though, you can also customize your emblems and weapons. The emblem editor lets you muck around with three layers (the emblem itself, any sort of tag or text, and the background), and it somewhat resembles the livery editor from something like a Forza game. The main example is when Bunting created a horse emblem that featured pistols instead of hooves adorned against the American flag. Then you can take said emblem, and apply it to your weapon -- in addition to changing the weapon's basic camouflage patterns or even the actual red dot sight (my favorite example is a rifle that changed the red dot sight into a blue happy face). The actual player classes, plus their gear, is part of the overall theme of player choice that Bunting cites frequently.
No. 3) Theater
Likely inspired by Halo 3, Black Ops now supports a full theater mode for sharing your exploits online. Each player gets a file share space where he or she can place films, screenshots, or even custom game settings, and these items are all searchable and viewable. Your recent matches are available for searching, clipping, machinima-ing, and everything. Bunting wouldn't elaborate on what exactly "custom games" actually entails, but it's still interesting to see that every Black Ops player will have a central hub to post bragging rights (besides a Youtube channel).
No. 4) Money
Perhaps the biggest change to COD is the concept of money which complements the leveling system. Lead multiplayer designer David Vonderhaar jokes that money came about from the simple fact that he's a greedy fellow who loves money and gambling said money. Bunting elaborates the system: in addition to earning experience points for levels, players will earn Call of Duty Points (CP). Every time they reach a level, they don't simply unlock one new gun. They unlock whole categories of firearms and attachments, and you then spend CP to buy gear for yourself. As Bunting reiterates, the core of multiplayer is about player choice, and now in addition to designing their own looks and color schemes, players will be defining their own loadouts via money.
No. 5) Wager Matching
So with the addition of money comes the other item that Vonderaar loves so much: gambling. Wager Match is a separate multiplayer mode where you simply gamble your CP in a series of specific matches. The four "wagers" you can partake (so far) are: one in a chamber, sticks and stones, gun game, and sharpshooter. As noted, each Wager Match mode has specific rules, and does different things to your gambled CP.

One in a chamber starts simply: you have a knife and a single gun with a single bullet. Taking down foes will earn you more bullets to use, but once you run out of bullets, you have just the knife to stab fools with. Sharpshooter also has a pretty easy to grasp concept: everyone gets a random weapon that they are stuck with, and the emphasis is on pure, well, sharpshooting skill with whatever you have. Sticks and stones gives you ballistic knives, the crossbow, and tomahawks to take on players with. While the ballistic knives and the crossbow present standard "these are neat ways to kill opponents," the tomahawk presents the most interesting effect: it fully bankrupts its victim. The moment someone succumbs to a tomahawk, they instantly lose all of the CP they wagered for the match.

For me, the most interesting mode is easily Gun Game -- which itself seems reminiscent of a PC mod for Modern Warfare. This one has players working their way through a series of specific guns during a session. At any one time, you're locked to using one specific weapon, but a kill will automatically equip the next highest gun in the list -- meaning you start out with a lowly pistol but as you kill foes, you work up to better pistols then to submachineguns to shotguns to assault rifles and the like. The inverse happens as well -- every death means you get knocked down to using the previous (and weaker) gun. The first player to have used every gun becomes the winner of the wager. From my experience, it's just pretty neat to be on a solid kill run and just watch your arsenal get more and more lethal as you score -- only to be knocked down a peg or two from someone else interrupting your streak.

There honestly is quite a lot going on with Black Ops -- more than I expected. I had walked in thinking, "this is just going to be Modern Warfare 2 with bigger numbers," but with the five things outlined earlier, Black Ops already feels like a distinct (and large-scale) Treyarch title rather than a me-too addition to the franchise

Has anyone seen any footage floating around the web in 3D? I'd like to see what it'll look like... I'll need to buy a new xbox in order to play it in 3D as mine is one of the stone-age ones without HDMI and I believe that rulles me out of the game... so looking to see if it'll be worth while!

Has anyone seen any footage floating around the web in 3D? I'd like to see what it'll look like... I'll need to buy a new xbox in order to play it in 3D as mine is one of the stone-age ones without HDMI and I believe that rulles me out of the game... so looking to see if it'll be worth while!

No footage that i know off.

They are still using the same engine as MW2 right? If it means anything MW2 on PC in 3D looks amazing. Really good depth and 3D effects on smoke and shadows.

It should be based on/around the same engine. Infinity Ward was the heavy-lifter developer in that franchise with Treyarch typically doing incremental improvements or adjustments, so I don't see any reason to think they would have moved onto a new engine.

did not follow this game to closely, so maybe idiotic question:

does this game has 3D mode on PS3?
I mean 60Hz and all, should be possible to get a 3D version, right?

Both SKUs have a 3D mode, but as for framerate... that will have to wait for the analysis.

Both SKUs have a 3D mode, but as for framerate... that will have to wait for the analysis.

thanks for the info - is it a real 3D mode, i.e. two separate pics rendered?

I mean, all COD games suffered from a non-constant 60Hz framerate...I don't expect those devs to improve, but I am looking forward to DF comparison.

I'm experiencing some weird stuff in the PC version, its weird enough for you guys to notice it without me having to point it out.

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/7421/blackops201011092308266.jpg
http://img809.imageshack.us/img809/4613/blackops201011100012131.jpg
http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/5552/blackops201011100018036.jpg

can anyone explain what's going on here ? I'm pretty sure this isn't normally suppose to be like that.

If you are using TSAA or some custom edge AA solution then try turning that off.

Also is the games visuals downgraded, and I am basing it on PC version Ops shots and watching my own MW2 shots in the PC screenshot thread. Quite big visual difference for the worse with Black Ops IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Neb that helped. :)

Also is the games visuals downgraded, and I am basing it on PC version Ops shots and watching my own MW2 shots in the PC screenshot thread. Quite big visual difference for the worse with Black Ops IMO.
Its more to do with the art style imo, Treyarch seems to love a rough & dirty look compared to IW's approach to a clean look, the tech has improved....and there are some really huge areas in the game.

Taken by me:
SP : http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/8427/blackops201011100128560.jpg
MP: http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/2699/blackopsmp2010111003021.jpg
http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4894/blackopsmp2010111003022.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back