[360, PS3] BF:BC2 and BF 1943 online

I occassionally got a loud "pop" sound in my speakers (left rear surround I think) last night using the "war tapes" audio mode. I'm going to try another audio mode tonight and see if it still happens.
What exactly is "war tapes"? Why would it not be on by default?

The retail version (360) doesn't seem as stable as the demo. I've been kicked out of a game back to the Dashboard a few times.

And spotting seems different too, almost like it's based on your current weapon's range or something.

I played the campaign for 6 hours until 4 AM before trying to jump online but it couldn't find ANY matches at all. I'm pretty sure I could find matches at that hour on the beta tho...maybe the servers are just glitchy for now?

The campaign is fairly awesome though. It's linear but gives you enough freedom to plan your way through and the levels are freaking epic in scale. Still a couple levels to finish but I like it a lot more than MW2 so far.

No "pop" sounds using the "home cinema" audio setting. Looks like it might be an issue with the "war tapes" setting, at least on my setup.

Yessss, after myriads hours of bug hunting in my new code...I (hopefully) found the last one and I am thus ready for BC2 starting in only 6-7 hours, whooa!

I cannot wait to play the campaign, heard good things about it and I am curious how it compares to the (IMO) underwhelming MW2 campaign...

EDIT:
Finished the game in one playthrough yesterday (took me about 7 hours on normal difficullty) which is good in the sense that it did not get boring...bad in the sense that 7 hours of SP gameplay is not what I expect when I pay 70 Euros (> 100 Dollar) for a game...

Graphics (I took the PS3 version) where "great", sometimes even "super great" (scale: taking out a base, from like one lightyear distance, with the sniper is sensational)! A mixture of Far Cry 2, Uncharted 2 and with respect to the massive use of particles and all the destruction+debris and some cool post processing it reminded me even of Killzone 2 - well done DICE. Ok, there is tearing...but I am one of the lucky gamer who don't bother tearing...so overall I am absolutely impressed! Maybe for the next time, they could create some more different settings. And, what I like in games: make a graphics gradient. Start with "good" graphics settings and then up the visual setting towards the end (good examples: UC2 and especially KZ2!)

Physics. Blowing stuff is super fun...good move that the ammo is not rare, so you can basically bomb up everything and the best thing is that you can really make your own paths if you are to lazy to flank...just go directly. Collapsing buildings is impressive and sensational (but maybe partially scripted??!?! a la the collapsing KZ2 building?!?!?)

What I really don't understand is that all the recent AAA games (like ME2 and UC2 and BC2) fail in the animation department compared to Killzone 2. What impresses the hell out of me when playing KZ2 is the reaction of the enemies when they get hit by a bullet and the death animation (see ballet of death video for reference)...while for instance in BC2 overall animation of movement of characters is okay, their death animation and their reaction when getting hit has a very ancient feel to it. Combine this with some dead body glitches in BC2, this categorie is subpar compared to the excellent graphics.

I think that the sound effects are very good...the sound of the weapons is very brute. Although, I have the feeling that the difference in the sound, when shooting in the open or in a closed room changes to abrupt...there should be an intermediate sound effect when entering the room or something like this (similar to KZ2 sound). The music on the otherhand...I am not sure if it really fits to this type of game to be honest. The music score and the theme would fit better to a LOST type game and not to a sarcastic war action game.

Gameplay/Controlls is perfect for me, nothing to complain. The heavy use of "driving scenes" is down to personal taste, I think.

Gamedesign. This is a little bit tricky, because overall I liked the combined "linear" and "enough freedom to take different routes" approach - giving you a great sense of control of the actual battle and a lot of oportunities to flank the foes. The problem I have are the ridiculous check points. Combine this with some rather cheap deaths (e.g. 1: there is a sniper...boom...dead...checkpoint, e.g.2: there is artillary...boom...dead...checkpoint, e.g.2: there is a transporter...boom...dead ...checkpoint- I often could not even react or turn) it sometimes annoyed me that I have to replay the two long firefights again to get to the point where I died (as I died quite often, I had a lot of opportunity to try out different tactics and see what the game allows me to do). A recent good example with respect to checkpoints is ME2 and there is UC2 of course with a great checkpoint system. A carry only "two weapon" system combined with these fine weapon depots, where you can access all stuff is a great combination which is a really great move by DICE if you ask me.

Story. Cheap, irrelevant, USA related BS (hey DICE, I thought you are European?)...as always in this "realistic" war games...lame, but after playing so many games I am used to this, so no real complain!

Concluding, I liked the campaing much much more than the dissapointing MW2 campaign. If I had to choose between BC2 and MW2...not really difficult for me! It is a really good game with a funny and mighty fine entertaining (but maybe a little bit to short) SP campaign. I hope that DICE increases the SP length (without loosing the intensity!!) in the next iteration...then I am on board again!!
In my book, I have noted a "buy" verdict for Battle Field: Bad Company 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
On Gamersyde people have said the servers have been really bad since release. Are others having the same issue?

For PC version and for me I have ended up in servers with bad ping every single time. Aint my connection becouse other multiplayer games are in the 20-60ms but BC2 150-200+.

On Gamersyde people have said the servers have been really bad since release. Are others having the same issue?
Last night it wouldn't connect at all for about an hour on the 360. Some other mentioned getting stuck in unbalanced teams like 10 vs 3. Hopefully it'll be fixed by next weekend.

The DICE blog mentioned something today. Hm...

http://blogs.battlefield.ea.com/bat...d-bad-company-2-server-update-2010-03-07.aspx

- X360 was severely impacted, and the service is being restarted. It should be back online and we are monitoring closely.
- PC had an outage, but the service is offline currently and the service is being restarted. It should be back online and we are monitoring closely. We will then start checking the quality of the customer experience to determine possible next steps.
- PS3 appeared to have a brief outage, but has quickly recovered and the services is functioning properly at this time.

Just had an epic half hour match on Port Valdez. We were defenders and had a single station left when time ran out. I haven't even played more than 2 levels in single player, and that was because the servers were down.

Just had an epic half hour match on Port Valdez. We were defenders and had a single station left when time ran out. I haven't even played more than 2 levels in single player, and that was because the servers were down.

so did I :smile:

B on the last station is a blast to hold down with a good team, Best online battle shooter ever

Found some time yesterday to check out the MP. Suprise: I liked it a lot! Played only for 2 hours but had some of the most intense MP experience ever!
Very dense, great graphics...war sound is phantastic and action is over the top, escaping a tank is super fun. Comparing this to my 3 hours beta experience with MAG (spawn...run...got shot in head...wait), it is night and day. I can imagen that I try MP again some time...

This game is amazing. Nothing better than a good squad.

Found the perfect role for a recon player. SPOT for your team, rain down mortar strikes to attack/defend MCOM stations. And just general communication by having a clear vision of the battlefield from an elevated position.

Yep, throwing mortars on an mcom to prevent defusing, or just to knock the building on it, is a good plan.

Completed assault last night after you left. Working on the other three, depending on the classes everyone else is using.

I also figured out my login for Battlefield 2 and registered as a Battlefield Veteran (http://veteran.battlefield.com/). Hopefully I'll have access to the carbine. For some reason 1943 and Bad Company 2 don't show up in my veteran profile.

Last edited by a moderator:
The M16 with the Magnum rounds is really good. It's burst fire but there's no delay on the bursting so spam the right trigger fast. It's very accurate also. Lots of headshots.

I'm going to get my 500 assault kills badge first and then move onto Engineer. Recon will be last. I heard the P2200 on engineer is really good so looking forward to trying that out.

I tried the M16 briefly, but there was another burst fire gun, I think from the "All kits" weapons that seemed to have more damage and I could get quicker kills. I'll check the name when I get home.

Just got the XM8 compact for the engineer, but haven't tried it out. The one you're talking about must be much later on.

Back