[360] Forza Motorsport 3

And when they ask, "How do you ever get anything done?" because they cannot let go of the gamepad (after midnight!) you know this is a good formula.

Yep, definitely. I've had such moments with racing games for probably 10 years now, and since everyone drives cars, realistic yet good looking racing games are really accessible. What I noticed personally is that for a lot of people the controller itself is still a big boundary though. When I got a 180 degree force feedback wheel it helped, but it wasn't until I could offer a 900 degree steering wheel experience that just about everyone of any age could get along with the game. There's also a little bonus each time someone can select a car they have or know, because this helps them understand the ever smaller differences with reality: you don't feel G forces on your body yet, don't see a proper 3D image, have a smaller field of view (or can't just turn your head or lean forward to change that view), etc.

But the 900 degree steering really, really helps. It's great that there's one available now (and really only just!) for the 360 and its supported by Forza 3. Now we'll just have to wait until a cheaper one is available (you can get a decent one for PC for 50 euros - I have two of them, allowing two guests to drive each other split-screen - awesome!)

Of course, people who can't manage with a controller are a dying breed. ;) And maybe motion controllers will help in the future too.

I have a wheel and gamepads.

What happened with my company is they liked the wheel but it was *really* hard with no-assists and with assists it still proved a challenge for them because, in their own words chatting back and forth, "you had to anticipate more" and the thumb sticks allowed them to "react quicker." It was interesting to hear them talk about these things in their own words.

As for the 900 degrees, I think you run into an even bigger issue than above (manual latency) but also for racing it isn't too realistic in most scenarios I have seen (call me a newb... maybe some race cars do utilize more actions, but the "normal" cars I drive in the US wouldn't need a lot of action for racing). e.g. In my Sable ~ 60MPH you need not turn the wheel far at all to turn. Even at 10MPH making a left/right turn doesn't take but a 90-130 degree turn of the wheel. Parking takes more, but we are talking sub-5MPH driving and making sharp turns into confined spaces with but a few feet to turn.

I haven't driven more than 20 different cars in my lifetime but the only vehicle I can remember requiring significant wheel action was a really, really old 4 speed Ford pickup with no-power steering. Cars with power steering, from my small experience, don't take a lot of wheel action to turn. I definately don't feel the MS wheel is significant different feel from a real car, so I don't really see how a 900 degree wheel would help a novice when racing as those extra degrees wouldn't be used. Maybe I haven't tried enough cars?

But when racing at high speeds the small adjustments with the wheel feels just like my real car to me. I don't typically make 90 degree turns at 60MPH, but based on how little action it takes to down a fast sweeping corner I don't think 900 degrees is really necessary outside of corner cases that I don't see often in the Forza maps. (Btw, I live at the foothills of the Cascade Mountains so I see a lot of hairpins and sharp blind corners that turn into S-style turns).

What courses/corners/cars are people seeing in FM3 that need more than 270 degrees while racing?

I do find the gamepad allows for better times, but the wheel is more fun. The FF is a steep curve for newbies (takes a bit if effort and anticipation--a bad corner with FF causes all kinds of side effects). I do enjoy the ease of small adjustments with the wheel and smoother lines; I "tap" a lot with the gamepad (bad habit) and I tend to push slightly down so I miss the furthest edge with the pad. I also find shifting a LOT easier with the pad, although this is a muscle memory issue for me as the wheel is fine.

Trick: We used to have the kids sit in a chair and put the peddles on a box; figured out just having them stand works a lot better.

Of course, people who can't manage with a controller are a dying breed. ;) And maybe motion controllers will help in the future too.

I was surprised how quickly they took to the pads (analog triggers + stick). But then again they had last gen consoles in the past.

Then again racers are easy: One stick on 1 axis (X-axis) for turning + break + gas. 2 buttons and 1 stick. Pretty accessible. Could almost work on an NES pad :LOL:

Turn10 discovered the recipe to motivate their rabid fanbase ... to bite the hand that feeds it.

1) Turn10 said all the online features from FM2 were coming to FM3.

2) Turn10 stripped opened Public Lobbies, only allowing Match Making and Private Lobbies.

3) Result?

Exhibit A. Forza official forums were 80% of posters voting say MP is significantly broken and has little to no replay value.

Exhibit B. Over 2,400 posts since launch complaining about the Match Making system.

Exhibit C. Forza fans ran to IGN and other review sites leaving scathing reviews praising the game but making up for the bad PR and misleading/incompetent media reviews by rating the game, on average, less than 5 stars out of 10 with common titles like, "Perfect Racing Game, Completely Broken Online Play."

Match Making is closely tied to DLC, but in some cases it may actually lose money when you alienate a huge segment of your core fans. As of today Turn10 has said they have absolutely no plans of enabling public lobbies again. Reminds me of when Bungie's 11th hour stripping of the Custom Game Browser...

While online isn't completely broken, and most probably won't notice, this is a huge step down from Custom Lobbies in FM2 (which had really great MP imo). I will leave more details for why the current system is a problem for my FM3 MP Review, but I totally agree this was a dumb, stupid move by Turn10 in terms of servicing the core gamer that will be playing FM3 in 3 months from now. Of course their PR is about as subtle as an elephant in terms of engaging this issue. Their solution? "Post on our forums when you want to race the cars and tracks you want, when you want, if you what to do a non-Match Making race."

Turn10 discovered the recipe to motivate their rabid fanbase ... to bite the hand that feeds it.

1) Turn10 said all the online features from FM2 were coming to FM3.

2) Turn10 stripped opened Public Lobbies, only allowing Match Making and Private Lobbies.

3) Result?

Exhibit A. Forza official forums were 80% of posters voting say MP is significantly broken and has little to no replay value.

Exhibit B. Over 2,400 posts since launch complaining about the Match Making system.

Exhibit C. Forza fans ran to IGN and other review sites leaving scathing reviews praising the game but making up for the bad PR and misleading/incompetent media reviews by rating the game, on average, less than 5 stars out of 10 with common titles like, "Perfect Racing Game, Completely Broken Online Play."

Match Making is closely tied to DLC, but in some cases it may actually lose money when you alienate a huge segment of your core fans. As of today Turn10 has said they have absolutely no plans of enabling public lobbies again. Reminds me of when Bungie's 11th hour stripping of the Custom Game Browser...

While online isn't completely broken, and most probably won't notice, this is a huge step down from Custom Lobbies in FM2 (which had really great MP imo). I will leave more details for why the current system is a problem for my FM3 MP Review, but I totally agree this was a dumb, stupid move by Turn10 in terms of servicing the core gamer that will be playing FM3 in 3 months from now. Of course their PR is about as subtle as an elephant in terms of engaging this issue. Their solution? "Post on our forums when you want to race the cars and tracks you want, when you want, if you what to do a non-Match Making race."

I am certainly not well-versed enough to agree or disagree with you, however, the only counter-point I can make to your complaints is that I have never ever played any racing game for this long or had as much fun and I am almost positive I will be playing this game three months from now considering my non-interest in this holidays games. I might be an outlier but I'm not sure and while I certainly don't want to take anything away from the "core-gamer" this title is absolutely fantastic and so far suits me, perfectly. I stipulate I have yet to play online.

I'm just now going through drift, time trials, and the other tidbits I knew were there but never really gravitated to until recently (basically just to make sure joker was below me...because of his Robotron score, ZING!)

I stipulate I have yet to play online.

The above is only about online. Specifically their PR (poor) and their reduction off online features/options.

Btw, I am enjoying the game a lot--great game. SP is the best I have seen in a sim. I have little niggles (e.g. Time Trial is *exactly* what I was looking for the other night when I was talking with Robert about having a single car for every course as to limit the number of variables and have a more focused leaderboard--alast, Time Trials *is just that* but it is burried in the poor menu structure and not clearly defined from Quick Play, Hot Laps, etc). It doesn't look like you can snag your friend's ghosts easily though :(

Btw, I haven't seen you on live to hit you up for a FM3 game :(

Actually, I haven't seen anyone but Robert one when I have been on. And that is the problem with the new online structure. It is probably easiest to give scenarios.

In FM2 you could join a lobby (just search/browse) or seed your own. Seeding was nice because you could setup your favorite tracks and cars, customize AI, lock slots for friends, etc. If people liked your lobby features they could join. Usually you would seed with a couple friends on your list so you would start off with a room of guys who all WANT to play by the rules on the tracks. This routinely resulted in some pretty great races (some of my best online experiences with Live to be quite honest).

In FM3 there are no Open Lobbies--Only Private. So you to populate a Private Lobby either need to (a) get enough friends to populate a prive lobby (b) convince racers in hoppers to dump them and join a private match or (c) as Turn10 says go to their forums and post a request, "Please join my private match, here is my GT, add me as your friend. Needless to say--ick. Now the Hoppers (MatchMaking) has some problems. The first is selection. e.g. Until the other day there was no F, E, D, C, B, or A class in circuit racing (!) I wanted to get some miles in my C Class Career Car (Ford Focus R6). No Go.

You are essentially locked into what Turn10 makes "good" online races. This is a problem because they frequently screw up. e.g. Allowing extremely fast non-stock cars in oval "stock car" races. Those races are screwed up because inevitably 5 seconds before the race someone switches out to a Bugatti or whatnot. The Hoppers don't allow you to do really basic things; e.g. what if you want to all race Audi R8s to put everyone on an even playing field? What if your groups wants to mix it up and alternate an Oval Race, an Road Race, a Drag Race, and a Drift? Nope, cannot do it in a hopper. You need to leave your group and individually go to each Hopper in MatchMaking. Everyone have a hankering for Sedona Club in C class Cars? If it isn't in the rotation it isn't in the rotation. You have no control or input (unlike FM2) to transition from one race to another, as a group. All those killer online variables that is 4 pages deep (like 130 variables) Turn10 invested in? Not even relevant in MatchMaking. I don't even believe Tag, Cat & Mouse, Multiclass racing, etc are *even in MatchMaking Hoppers right now.* Until 2 days ago the only modes were essentially straight races with collision on but no damage.

So lets say to avoid a ton of collisions you want to do delayed starts (e.g. 1 second delays). This could avoid first turn collisions and could make for some interesting racing. Nope, you cannot enable this option (right there in the AWESOME MP features) because it is unaccessible unless Turn10 makes a lobby with it.

FM2 never had this problem. There were always a lot of lobbies and if you wanted to do something new (or just wanted to do your favorite course and cars) you could start your own. If people liked it it would get populated, if not you could populate with AI. (Yep, haven't seen AI in MatchMaking yet either; lame having 3 people in a room when you could add a couple AI until real people populated).

The biggest problem with only having match making (I don't know people who want to remove it as it is accessible, only that most want Public Lobbies back, too) is that without seeding and poor "kicking" tools the racing is a crapshoot. Most turn into wrecks in the first corner with really blatant "destruction derby" racing. Of course there is no damage which is good and bad--the bad is it doesn't teach these guys that if you play like that your race is over. Of course it seems the Hoppers have a REALLY high turnover (if you want to do something else you have no attachment to the room, you just up and leave the lobby, so why not trash a couple cars first and then head over to a different mode?) Ghosts are kind of borked (not transparent) and while that could be a temporary solution to encourage racing, that is really no different from hot lapping or time trials. e.g. I don't really want to give up moments like this: I took a corner wide and Robert got in my inside, rubbed perfectly flush with my car and pushed me to the outside corner of the road where I lost all my speed and lost lap position. Totally clean and fair and really setup my attempts to reclaim position. But unlike FM2, where it seems quite common to seed a solid group that stuck together in lobbies, this is my typical experience: I make a really nice, clean, pass and the very next corner CRUNCH! T-Bone, well done with Live chatter: "That is what you get for passing me son!"

Running your own lobby you can handle this a lot of ways (ghosts, no damage, damage, staggard starts, etc) that adjust to the group. No one size fits all. But Turn10 pretty much is taking one approach--and it just encourages the griefers. Not every race is ruined, but it is no fun getting spun out 2x at the beginning of the race and being 10 seconds behind on the first lap. With matchmaking you will never make up that time.

And of course you have the guys who have figured out the hacks and tricks and exploit online which in MM it has been a lot harder to police or change game settings (you cannot) to prevent this.

All this to say is a lot of FM2 players who played online are finding FM3, although it is in many MANY ways better than FM3, took a step back by stripping out Open Lobbies and replacing them with MM. MM works fine in Halo or CoD. Get TK'd? Respawn in 10 seconds--your game isn't ruined. In a 10 minute race getting blasted out of the first two corners by griefers ruines your 10 minute race. But more importantly you just cannot race how you want when you want. A good policy by any game company is to let gamers play the game how they want to play, when they want to. MM is better than a LOT of online systems (and better than none) but those who enjoyed FM2 see a lot of limitations in the system.

Of course Turn10 never said they were removing it (and the press stinks at relaying these things), and since Turn10 said all the online features of FM2 were coming over it really struck a lot of people who primarily play online as misrepresented. Turn10 has already said *open lobbies are not coming back* and have been quite rude about the topic. MM is the future as it allows them to leverage DLC and it is more accessible to new players. And Turn10 is really ticked that online gamers are giving them bad reviews for what they feel is a "broken online component" and an unwillingness to turn private lobbies into public lobbies.

And that was why I posted. It is quite interesting when you get a petition for a removed feature, thousands of posts about 1 single feature, dozens and dozens of scathing reviews, and even your own forum polls show 80% of people are mad about the change -- and the company line is, "We do not care what you think, we won't change it." I got a laugh out of the "this hurts our feelings" line from Turn10 :LOL:

Anyhow, with this and CoD4 MW2 PC issues, I think 2009 is shaping up to be the year of, "How important is developer-consumer relations to product sales and satisfaction?" How much is MW2's PC issues going to impact PC sales? Will Turn10's MM ensure better DLC sales (i.e. create Hoppers that are DLC only ala Halo 3), enough to justify turning off some holdovers from FM2? Is the negative press even visible? Does it affect word of mouth? Or is PR, marketing, and press build up more relevant than the chatter boxes on the community sites?

True, MW2 and FM3 are different issues. MW2 is (in my eyes) trying to make versions similar across the board whereas FM3 is more of an example of not developing features the consumer wants because they believe they want more accessible (even if lowering replayablility) gameplay and the ability to monetize MM.

I think with the direction Live has gone and seeing Bungie pull customer browsers 11th hour and refusing to answer questions, Turn10 very deliberate in their refusal to discuss this pre-launch (and crappy media feedback--the media cannot review online games worth a darn), and recent Skate 3 interviews indicating MS has really presented a case for the benefits of MM as a means to monetize and solidify a cohesive online experience that hits the mass market. A paid service, without dedicated servers, dedicated to the mass market looks to really be a barrier for more traditional online gamers. The face of this market is shifting and changing quite quickly, and will continue to do so with companies like EA saying SP is dead.

It will be curious to see how important fan frustration is and how the balance between supply-and-demand works out. In this case there is a clear demand, and the developer has no interest in meeting it. A peculiar situation to say the least.

Game has unfortunately been falling off my gameplaying schedule really, really fast (though that's partly because of my work).

Like I said before, I'm definitely in for some online playing, but I'll need to know a little bit in advance when.

Actually the gear shifting was already on the disc but there has been some compatibility problems.

Which still exists. On some cars you see that the hand does not go towards gearstick.

But still better than nothing - Something is always better no matter what.

Some websites stated that this is "the best racing game ever created for consoles",

How do the owners reflect on this, after having the game for 2 months now?
Are you still playing it?
What should they change for Forza4, etc?

I very interested to read what you owners have to say about that.
Unfortunately, I was not able to play Forza3, as I lost my 360 component cable last year :cry: I was wondering what to expect in the future, plus what I am missing out on right now :)

Get a new cable maybe???

As for the game, my only real complaint is they killed open custom lobbies in favor of match making-only. This spawned multiple (!) 2000+ post threads on the Forza forums--to which Turn10/MS refuse to consider. I always find it interesting how they add a minor tweak or whatnot and blog about how they are "listening" and "supporting" the product but straight up gloss over major changes in PR pre-release media and then refuse to cater to their consumers. The end result is I have never seen over 1000 people online since the the first week and a lot of the hoppers are empty. Also the whole storefront tied to Gold accounts is LAAAAME.

As for the game: great. Single button racing and rewind are awesome and make a sim accessible. My son has progressed a ton and can now even break on his own now on some courses. Great features, fun driving model(s), a ton of cars and tracks, silky framerate, splitscreen with bots, a TON of storefront stuff to buy (bought a Lightning McQueen for my stock car and Z06 and Halo Reach paint job for a Reventon), etc and so forth. Tuning, tweaking, and upgrading is well done--auto upgrade is a real time saver.

Looking forward I want to see open lobbies return, a better damage modeling system, more cars on track + different racing venues (Toca 3 did a great job of this), a couple more options (e.g. forced pit stops), pre-race qualifing, some more nuances to the track (e.g. some differences in the often ran lines versus the non-racing lines with a little more debris in those areas), maybe some weather. Since I want to see a huge jump in graphics--and FM3 is REALLY great sans hoppers--I can wait for the next Xbox. I want to see a lot of dust, smoke, and glass!

Improving the SP experience further and exploring some accessibility evolution would be nice. Give it some style maybe for the newb mainstream. Maybe some more instructional stuff / challenges for newbs--and a true "GP" style mode that has more life would be great (think Mario Kart... maybe even create your own GPs).

As it stands FM3 is the best racer on the consoles right now. Period.

Anyone got the DLC holiday car pack? I am currently doing time trials, My time is on 1:26:9xx, about 25% centile, but most people have rewinded - which puts me about 1.5 seconds behind current leader without rewinding (from my observation).

Top 100-1000 have 50% chance of prizes :)

As for FM4 improvements I want...
1, The matchmaking needs fixing for obvious reasons.
2, They should licence some official competitions - Career mode is same rules so boring.
3, More city courses and traditional GP circuits - Too many boring US circuits. Where is Spa-Francorchamps, Monaco, Monza etc?
4, Night racing + Weather effects; Not ever going to happen because T10 only likes clear day racing

Anyone got the DLC holiday car pack? I am currently doing time trials, My time is on 1:26:9xx, about 25% centile, but most people have rewinded - which puts me about 1.5 seconds behind current leader without rewinding (from my observation).

The % actually is based on certified laps first then non-certified. So if you are 25% everyone above you are faster certified laps. I am 99% sure that is how it works.

As for DLC, I won't buy DLC until they give me open custom lobbies.

I am sorry, but forza 3 sucks.

What racing game lacks a custom race mode FFS?
It is one of the most basic things in a track based racing game (I don't even know of an other game without it), how hard could of it been just program in a way to change the number of laps in quick race?

The only reason that I can think of (of why they did it) is because they want everyone to be forced to use XBL gold to set up a private custom race with bots (because I don't have XBL gold I am not 100% sure you can do that, but that is what I read) or play online.

The fact that they also locked out the storefront and the like to only XBL gold users seems to back that idea up.

In MP you can setup a private lobby and have a half dozen or so of pages worth of settings you can adjust as well as select the cars and AI settings for every car. It is very robust.

It kills every other console racer on the market for flexibility and game modes.

But agreed if it cannot be accessed offline that is a bummer. But as a MS product I don't think it is so hard to see everything is funneling through Live... heck, they took out LAN from FM3 with the response: if you want system link get Live for every console/user.

I hope Turn10 is reading the recent reports about word of mouth and how it affects sales more than reviews...

The % actually is based on certified laps first then non-certified. So if you are 25% everyone above you are faster certified laps. I am 99% sure that is how it works.

As for DLC, I won't buy DLC until they give me open custom lobbies.

Yup, mine is certified because I didn't have exclamation mark during the lap.

Now it is 1:26:7xx which seems to make a lot more difference in centile. I hate the fact that you get uncertified when you are causing slipstream of others and it doesn't even affect YOUR laptime.

3, More city courses and traditional GP circuits - Too many boring US circuits. Where is Spa-Francorchamps, Monaco, Monza etc?

No! No! No! No!

I want real racetracks, with real overtaking opportunities; Circuits with advanced combinations of corners with multiple lines through them. I do not want the bore-fests that are Monaco, Valencia, Singapore or Melbourne, where you'd be lucky to see a handful of overtakes.

And what boring US tracks? Are you talking about oval layouts of some US tracks? And if you don't like high speed circuits why do you want Monza ?

I could do without the Mickey Mouse circuits:
Amalfi Coast (R1 race in a cobble stoned Italian seaside resort, WTF!), New York (one overtaking opportunity per lap), Tsukuba (short and boring).

And I would love to see Spa in F3.

Cheers

Back