[360] Alan Wake - Still awake

Facial animation is a disappointment, shaders aren't as nice as I'd expect either. But view distance, world complexity and so on are pretty good. I wonder if Alan will be able to get lost in the woods... or drive around with a SUV...

Yeah, graphically it looks amazing. But the animation is so bad compared to the rest of the scenery that it feels almost jarring. I think valves facial tech is far superior.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I don't think they've said so far that it's final in-game image or anything ;)

Well, I don't think they've said so far that it's final in-game image or anything ;)

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1230608&postcount=91

http://www.alanwake.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1806

Cinematic Trailer comments & discussion

Q: Is this from the game engine?
A: With the exception of title screens (Remedy/MGS/Alan Wake), it's all from the game engine. The depth-of-field effects have been added as a post-process to enhance the visual storytelling.

Yes, it's from game engine at this point of developement, and things can still change. IIRC they for example said about Max Payne that they did the last finishing touches to bullet time part of the engine just weeks before release (or was it month, anyway)

Yeah, you can see all sorts of aliasing artifacts in the footage, it's obviously ingame and not some bullshot stuff.

If people want to talk about best facial animation techniques, that warrants a new thread rather than sidetracking the game discussion thread.

Yeah, you can see all sorts of aliasing artifacts in the footage, it's obviously ingame and not some bullshot stuff.

It doesn't seem unlikely either. I'm wondering about one thing though - since the devs stated that they only added depth-of-field effects, how do you do that in post-processing without knowing the actual output data? Is that some new technology? Or did they have to use actual 3d data?

Seems to be the right atmosphere and environment and the production value is obviously very high. Not sure what it could be if it isn't Alan Wake, but I'd be surprised if Alan Wake had switched to a first person view.

The only thing that makes me question validity is the snow. The trailer and 'Bright Falls' setting didn't imply much snowyness, abut then there could be a snowstorm part-way through the game.

The only thing that makes me question validity is the snow. The trailer and 'Bright Falls' setting didn't imply much snowyness, abut then there could be a snowstorm part-way through the game.

I didn't really take too close a look. Anyone notice the telltale signs of a mod like reused assets? Just curious if this could be a well made HL2 or Crysis mod.

Update: NeoGaf bloodhounds have unearthed that the footage is actually from Redwood Falls, an axed PS3 title

Do you have a link to the post ? I would like to check it out (Still looking for that secret PS3 game ^_^)

Do you have a link to the post ? I would like to check it out (Still looking for that secret PS3 game ^_^)

Yes,... it's just above the quote and has always been :p. If you would take a look at the news that has been quoted, you would know what is meant ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a darn shame... The footage looked very good. Guess I'll have to wait even longer for new Alan Wake footage...

Back