2500+ XP Mobile in the mail

Sxotty said:
Hey fox, your motherboard is not necessarily running it at the correct "stock" setting mine booted at like 800 Mhz or some random speed. I run it slower than I have to b/c it was heating up my room to much I think I left it at 2.45 Ghz, but I can tell that is is running prety fast, it is 196x12.5 and for some unknown reason though I have 3200 memory when I put my FSB at 400 (200) I always have it unstable, heck maybe I should try something higher I have never actually bothered to go above 200, maybe 205 would for some unkown reason be more stable.

BTW my memory is the XMS variety and I do not even have it at aggressive settings in the timings...

Mine booted at 600mhz, which is the correct stock setting for a mobile xp I think.
I've manually set mine to 2450, and that's what it reads on bootup, I don't know what you mean by "not the correct stock setting". It is kind of hot though, is there a way to enable powernow on desktop systems?

I have a question for you guys. How is the performance of these relative to their non-mobile XP counterparts? In other words, how does an AXP 2500+ compare to a mobile AXP 2500+ with both running at the same frequencies. I would assume the mobile is slightly slower correct?

The performance is identical when run at identical speeds (FSB and multiplier).

ANova said:
I have a question for you guys. How is the performance of these relative to their non-mobile XP counterparts? In other words, how does an AXP 2500+ compare to a mobile AXP 2500+ with both running at the same frequencies. I would assume the mobile is slightly slower correct?

Like BRiT said, the performance is identical when run at identical speeds, but the model numbers don't always match up.

For instance, my 2600's default speed was 2.13ghz, the default speed of the thoroughbred 2600, yet it had 512KB of cache which would make it closer to a 3000, except it ran on a 133FSB instead of a 166FSB. Note that I don't know of any motherboards that will correctly autoconfigure a mobile cpu, you have to have a motherboard that lets you set the FSB and multiplier.

BTW, I still wanna know if it's possible to enable powernow in a desktop pc...

Fox5 I want to know that as well :) I would overclock mine even further if I could downclock it easily to browse the web and do other simple stuff.

mczak said:
Fox5 said:
There are programs that let you lower the FSB, but I haven't seen any to adjust the multiplier.
Here you go: http://www.cpuheat.wz.cz/html/Tweaks.htm
Will only work on mobile (or mobile-modded) cpus, and won't change the voltage unfortunately (not wired on desktop boards). And might not work on nForce2 boards...

Darn, I have an nforce2 board, and lowering the multiplier would be nice...once I manually lowed my cpu down to 1.2volts and 600mhz and it only took like 17 watts of power...the thing probably could have been cooled fanlessly.

Back